Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airline tickets cancelled

• 10-08-2008 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

If you're flying Ryanair anytime soon, I hope you didn't get your tickets tickets through the wrong website...
    And people wonder why airlines have so much trouble staying in business? We were already confused enough by American Airlines' desire not to be listed on the sites where people search for airfare, and easyJet's plan to sue the sites that send it customers, but Irish-based airline Ryanair is taking this all to a new level.

Beyond just being upset about those 3rd party sites (i.e., sites that send it business!), it's planning to cancel the flights for everyone who booked through one of those services (thanks to Sean for the link).

Yes, we understand that these airlines prefer people to purchase flights from the airlines directly, but it still seems bizarre to try to cut off a great promotional channel. People already know to go look at 3rd party sites for airfare, so actively working against having your flights promoted doesn't make much sense.

Then actively pissing off a bunch of your customers who booked through those sites by canceling their flights is even more braindead, as you've just formed a huge group of customers who will complain about your airline and spread the word about how you canceled their legitimately purchased flight for no reason other than spite and a confusion over business models.

When Ryanair started promoting how some of its seats might come with sexual gratification, I'd bet many passengers didn't realize it would end with them getting screwed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I still can't see what Ryanair are so pissed off about? Surely, it means extra business for them? I never knew you could find Ryanair flights on third paty websites until I heard this story

Stupid question but what third party websites do they mean?

Stupid question but what third party websites do they mean?

Things like gohop.ie although Ryanair aren't on there. Lad in work gave me the name of the one he uses for Ryanair the other day but can't for the life of me remember it. Seems a moot point now anyway.

What would be the point in booking it through a third party website regardless? Unless these websites try and find the best deals possible?

If thats the case, they should ban travel agents.

What would be the point in booking it through a third party website regardless? Unless these websites try and find the best deals possible?

If thats the case, they should ban travel agents.

I thought the same thing but the site your man showed me gave you comparisons like what day in August is cheapest to fly out with an airline and then compare it with a load of others.

eg He was going from Dublin to Madrid. Checked the site and showed him he could save fifty Euro by coming back via East Midlands with Easyjet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Apparently the third party websites are charging more for the flights than Ryanair are...

Thus making a profit off them.

Apparently the third party websites are charging more for the flights than Ryanair are...

Thus making a profit off them.

I wouldn't be surprised. I mean where would the gain be for these websites.

Pissing off Michael O'Leary? Surely plenty of people would do that for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Advertising would be one of the biggest revenue streams for these site aside from a booking fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Collie D wrote: »
    eg He was going from Dublin to Madrid. Checked the site and showed him he could save fifty Euro by coming back via East Midlands with Easyjet
    Exactly, that reason (people being less likely to shop around if they look at flights on Ryanair.com) along with losing the ability to sell extra services from third party companies means it is better for Ryanair that people purchase flights direct from their website.

Great business move imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

But why now? When people have booked? Why not put out the word that, I dunno, from September 1st they will no longer be honoured?

And presumably Ryanair knew these were being made. Surely if they disapproved they could just block these sites from linking to them?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Well its like ticket touting. They buy for lower than they sell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

So basically, if it was a 100 seater aircraft to London, and Ryanair had decided they were going to sell 90 of the seats for a tenner each and reserve 10 seats to be sold at a mad cost like 200 each, the 3rd party company bought up the tenner seats and then extorted the original tenner, the cost of a name change for the ticket and their own commission?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    So basically, if it was a 100 seater aircraft to London, and Ryanair had decided they were going to sell 90 of the seats for a tenner each and reserve 10 seats to be sold at a mad cost like 200 each, the 3rd party company bought up the tenner seats and then extorted the original tenner, the cost of a name change for the ticket and their own commission?

Yes, or they wrote a script that checks ryanairs price and puts your details in. So they buy at ryanairs current price and add commission on then charge you.
    Without permission thats simple touting. There doesnt seem to be any hassle if gigs ban touted tickets but if ryanair do all of a sudden were crying foul.

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    But why now? When people have booked? Why not put out the word that, I dunno, from September 1st they will no longer be honoured?

And presumably Ryanair knew these were being made. Surely if they disapproved they could just block these sites from linking to them?
    Because they want it to be big hassle for the websites in question. Michael O'Leary said it himself - He will refund to the websites but not to the customers since it is the website that is a customer of Ryanair - not the passenger. Thus it is up to the passenger to get the money back off those websites.

That is enough hassle to turn anyone off using websites and will be major hassle for those websites. He doesn't want to give them time to be ready for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Collie D wrote: »
    I still can't see what Ryanair are so pissed off about? Surely, it means extra business for them? I never knew you could find Ryanair flights on third paty websites until I heard this story

It's simple. RyanAir had to invest a few million in a new cloud server setup late last year to deal with web traffic, most of which was being generated externally, & which was chewing through resources they were paying for.

The new server & software system cost a small fortune, & having other people use your resources & making profits off it, I'd be seriously pissed too.

RyanAir are well within their rights to shut out people who are in effect using their proprietary systems they paid for & own & who are profiteering from, as LastMinute.com etc are NOT paying for the upkeep, maintenance or otherwise of those systems, so why should they be allowed profit from them? This is in effect a form of theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

The problem isn't really that they don't want other sites to make money from their resources, thats fine. Just block those websites but cancelling tickets from resources already used is just barmy and not going to make them any friends with the people who bought those tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    The problem isn't really that they don't want other sites to make money from their resources, thats fine. Just block those websites but cancelling tickets from resources already used is just barmy and not going to make them any friends with the people who bought those tickets.

Actually, the problem is that. it is part of the reason they had to invest in that new Blade infrastructure, because their old systems were slowing down like mofos. There comes a point where as a business if you've people making money off your back, your resources, your money - you have to cut them off & send them packing. Cancelling the tickets sends a clearer message than blocking them, as blocks are always usually circumvented at one stage.

RyanAir have a responsibility to protect their investments, & their profits - even more so now with profit warnings having been issued. RyanAir doesn't need 'tout' sites like LastMinute to sell flights, it has a more than able, & capable site of its own, which it has to now make justify the investment they had signed off in the middle of 2007 for the new infrastructure.

I hate RyanAir with a passion, but if I was a shareholder & RyanAir didn't take action like they did after the massive investment in their Blade setup, & with profit warnings in the air, I'd question Micker's sanity & position as the head chimp.

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    They don't just want to block those websites - they want to kick them in the balls too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Fair play to O'Leary, its a brilliant business decision

• Advertisement
Advertisement