Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth continuity on boiler

Options
  • 01-09-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just a question. I have a mynute 14e vokera boiler. I pay scottish power monthly to service it but this year they are telling me the boiler isn't earthed. Do you need to remove the fuse to do the check?

Basically it was a new guy being trained up and he was getting a reading of like 54 ohms. They called someone who said they couldn't work on it. They tried again to get a high reading so they could take a photo for proof. They then found the readings jumping all over the place and said "this meter is ****ed, at least we got a photo of a high reading incase the electrician says it's ok"

Don't think they realised I could hear them and they denied saying that when I brought it up

They then put boiler back together and I heard the guy tell the new guy what to tell me who then came through an repeated it word for word. I asked to see the reading as I didn't understand how it's been fine every year but isn't this year. And he said he couldn't tell me if others have done the checks.

He also said "do you even understand ohms?" Now it's been a while since school but I got an A in advanced higher physics so I did once upon a time. But I pointed out the reading is meant to be under 1 I'm sure it's not hard to look at the meter and read the reading.

Now a quick google brings up a page on boiler fault finder Which says you need to remove the fuse, but they didn't. I'm just wondering does this make a difference? Just before I pay some electrician a fortune to come out and check it.

Comments

Purplecoop wrote: »
    Just a question. I have a mynute 14e vokera boiler. I pay scottish power monthly to service it but this year they are telling me the boiler isn't earthed. Do you need to remove the fuse to do the check?

Basically it was a new guy being trained up and he was getting a reading of like 54 ohms. They called someone who said they couldn't work on it. They tried again to get a high reading so they could take a photo for proof. They then found the readings jumping all over the place and said "this meter is ****ed, at least we got a photo of a high reading incase the electrician says it's ok"

Don't think they realised I could hear them and they denied saying that when I brought it up

They then put boiler back together and I heard the guy tell the new guy what to tell me who then came through an repeated it word for word. I asked to see the reading as I didn't understand how it's been fine every year but isn't this year. And he said he couldn't tell me if others have done the checks.

He also said "do you even understand ohms?" Now it's been a while since school but I got an A in advanced higher physics so I did once upon a time. But I pointed out the reading is meant to be under 1 I'm sure it's not hard to look at the meter and read the reading.

Now a quick google brings up a page on boiler fault finder Which says you need to remove the fuse, but they didn't. I'm just wondering does this make a difference? Just before I pay some electrician a fortune to come out and check it.

As your discussing the safety of you and yours I would advise you to get a sparks in to check your installation for safety.

Advertisement