Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sean O'Neill speaking with the examiner about this: https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/corks-jack-lynch-tunnel-revamp-set-to-be-disruptive-438929.html

Project will go to tender in 2017, construction to start early 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Excellent news. This is the second most important scheme in the state after the M7 widening.

One thing though. The Douglas flyover is a 2 lane road with AADT figures of circa 70,000. The only thing saving it westbound is that the present Dunkettle is reducing the effect of rush hours and spacing rush hour over a longer period.

Cars will be queuing out the end of the tunnel from Douglas when the Dunkettle scheme opens.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Excellent news. This is the second most important scheme in the state after the M7 widening.

One thing though. The Douglas flyover is a 2 lane road with AADT figures of circa 70,000. The only thing saving it westbound is that the present Dunkettle is reducing the effect of rush hours and spacing rush hour over a longer period.

Cars will be queuing out the end of the tunnel from Douglas when the Dunkettle scheme opens.
    Yep, these days the tunnel isn't even the worst part of the SRR. Once you hit the Kinsale Rd flyover eastbound at peak times it grinds to a halt. There's 5 lanes there (3 N40 mainline + 2 merging from J6) merging down to two. You do have 2 exits along there but they're both queued up all the time anyway especially due to the lights at the Douglas East junction. The lack of hard shoulder means a breakdown/incident along the flyover blocks the whole thing up.

At the minute westbound is reasonably ok but as you say when Dunkettle is freeflowed and the M28 opens removing the Carrs Hill bottleneck it'll become a major mess. It'll be a major problem for ambulances heading westbound to CUH as well from east of the tunnel/Mahon/N28 area.

For a city of Cork's size the volume of traffic using the south ring is obscene. 100k vehicles daily between J6 and J7 is absolutely ridiculous all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    For a city of Cork's size the volume of traffic using the south ring is obscene. 100k vehicles daily between J6 and J7 is absolutely ridiculous all things considered.

Stating the obvious really but if you want to get from the M8 or N25 to the west of the city, it's practically your only option apart from spending half the day negotiating the city.

• Advertisement

Actually, if J6 to J7 is 100,000 cars AADT then Douglas flyover must at least be 90,000.

To put it in context, The Limerick SRR for a part has AADT of 45 to 50k and people on here are calling for a third lane.

Actually, if J6 to J7 is 100,000 cars AADT then Douglas flyover must at least be 90,000.

To put it in context, The Limerick SRR for a part has AADT of 45 to 50k and people on here are calling for a third lane.
    The traffic between J6 and J8 is around 90-95k cars on weekdays, 75k on Saturdays and 60-65k on Sundays. The weekday traffic is above capacity for a 3 lane road let alone a 2 lane one.

The Limerick SRR between the M20 and N24 junctions is carrying 40k most weekdays and 45k or so when UL is on term. The only reason a third lane is being talked about here is because there's space in the median and verges to make it easy to build. It's not needed for years and the roads and junctions connecting to the M7 would need upgrading first, as the Limerick SRR is always freeflowing. Never been any trouble on it whereas the Cork SRR is a daily feature on traffic reports with the Douglas flyover, Dunkettle, Mahon junction. Considering the money spend on upgrading the Kinsale Road Roundabout, what we have now is very underwhelming also.

PIN for the construction tender for the Dunkettle Interchange upgrade has been issued

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=108794&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

PIN for the construction tender for the Dunkettle Interchange upgrade has been issued

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=108794&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

A tender possibly in 12 months. I'm still confident we'll see this start in 2018, a little earlier than the official line.

Tender has been issued for the construction of the Dunkettle Interchange Improvement Scheme.

Deadline 31 May, value €77m excluding VAT.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=111758

• Advertisement

This will be a very interesting scheme to watch during the build. 43 major structures are required to be built - all while the interchange remains open to traffic.

Tender deadline is the 31st of May. Surely looking at being on the ground during 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Limerick74

This is a restricted procedure so the deadline of 31st May is only for prequalification. The second stage for the tender could take a further 12months to complete before a contractor is appointed.

Limerick74 wrote: »
    This is a restricted procedure so the deadline of 31st May is only for prequalification. The second stage for the tender could take a further 12months to complete before a contractor is appointed.
    Yes, as there is no funding whatsoever in place for this scheme for 2017, the scheme cannot go ahead until 2018, so they won't be in any hurry to appoint a contractor. Whilst the previous line was an early 2019 start, I can see this going ahead in 2018.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/jack-lynch-tunnel-upgrade-to-get-real-time-information-system-450011.html

Article about information that'll be provided to motorists during the construction phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

How the hell Dunkettle sees only 55150 AADT, while JLT is carrying 67183 AADT?! I though that every car going through the tunnel goes through Dunkettle as well...

grogi wrote: »
    How the hell Dunkettle sees only 55150 AADT, while JLT is carrying 67183 AADT?! I though that every car going through the tunnel goes through Dunkettle as well...

I think that should mean the N25 between Dunkettle and the Little Island exit.

I think that should mean the N25 between Dunkettle and the Little Island exit.

You're right - "Dunkettle" is TMU N25 000.0 E, "JLT" is TMU N40 015.0 W.

What's more - the quoted data for 2017 covers only ~85% of the year. We'll see highest averages around 24 December, to fall down a bit during holiday season...

This has been briefly mentioned by Neil Prendeville on RedFM.

He'll most likely come back to it later in the morning.

Must be serious, although a bit away from the Dunkettle, it is still on the N25.

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/934522068401573888

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

For a small city of just over 200k population, I think it’s shocking that the JLT is caring an AADT of close to 70,000 vehicles.

A damning indictment of dire public transport and poor urban planning if I ever saw it.:mad:

Nine expressions of interest were received by TII/Cork RDO. This has been shortlisted to five who have been invited to tender.

Q1 2019 start date remains current.

Tender award will be given in advance during 2018 due to extensive traffic management plans required for construction phase.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    For a small city of just over 200k population, I think it’s shocking that the JLT is caring an AADT of close to 70,000 vehicles.

A damning indictment of dire public transport and poor urban planning if I ever saw it.:mad:

It says more about the geography of Cork and the importance of the tunnel.

It also shows that there is little forward thinking in this country. This will cost 100m to fix. At the same time, we built a 3 stack Roundabout at the M17/M18/M6 junction. Crazy.

we built a 3 stack Roundabout at the M17/M18/M6 junction.

That is an impressive bit of work though having travelled it.

we built a 3 stack Roundabout at the M17/M18/M6 junction.

That is an impressive bit of work though having travelled it.

A partially unrolled cloverleaf which would have given much higher capacity and a cheaper build would have been much better though.

There was originally supposed to be a service station at this Roundabout. The station was removed and bizarrely the junction was maintained.

Most European countries would automatically put a stack on this type of junction, irrespective of traffic levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Work on the Dunkettle Interchange project has actually started!

There has been some clearing work done in the area to the north-east of the roundabout - lots of red and white barriers in place forming some sort of access road near the rail container depot.

Information update signs are in place too :-)

DerMutt wrote: »
    Work on the Dunkettle Interchange project has actually started!

There has been some clearing work done in the area to the north-east of the roundabout - lots of red and white barriers in place forming some sort of access road near the rail container depot.

Information update signs are in place too :-)
    What kind of information update signs?

I see new poles up on the N21 near Limerick which I thought could be for project information signs.

What kind of information update signs?

TII signs with Dunkettle Interchange and an email address for updates on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

JupiterKid wrote: »

It also shows the reality of commuting and that the city has an influence well beyond any proposed boundaries. The commuter belt is probably close to double the number you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

DerMutt wrote: »
    TII signs with Dunkettle Interchange and an email address for updates on them.

Tired to capture this today but failed :(

anyone got it...?

Great to see a real sign of progress, here's hoping it proceeds as per schedule.

I had a look back through my dashcam footage as I went around the roundabout.

It looks like the signs say: "For updates register with roadconstruction@ccc-site.com".

The whois for the domain gives Cork County Council as the registrant (set up for the Ballincollig Bypass, it seems) so I'll shoot an email off and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Am i right in my interpretation off the scheme drawings that northbound tunnel traffic heading to Dublin will be reduced to one lane for the course of the intersection? Is this 1. correct? 2. A problem, in reducing this flow to one lane?

http://n8n25dunkettle.jacobs.com/docs/32102066%20Dunkettle%20EIS%20VOL%203%20Figures%20-%20Fig%201.1.1%20to%20Fig%202.4.1.PDF

mire wrote: »
    Am i right in my interpretation off the scheme drawings that northbound tunnel traffic heading to Dublin will be reduced to one lane for the course of the intersection? Is this 1. correct? 2. A problem, in reducing this flow to one lane?

http://n8n25dunkettle.jacobs.com/docs/32102066%20Dunkettle%20EIS%20VOL%203%20Figures%20-%20Fig%201.1.1%20to%20Fig%202.4.1.PDF

I doubt more than 50% of traffic goes SRR to M8. Can’t see it being an issue even in peak traffic.

I doubt more than 50% of traffic goes SRR to M8. Can’t see it being an issue even in peak traffic.

Majority of traffic from SRR turns East toward Midleton. The proportions might change in far future when NRR is opened though and south side goes through the tunnel, M8 towards NRR and finally N20.

grogi wrote: »

Majority of traffic from SRR turns East toward Midleton. The proportions might change in far future when NRR is opened though and south side goes through the tunnel, M8 towards NRR and finally N20.

Still though, I doubt only having one lane for SRR to M8 will give much of an issue especially given that SRR traffic will be split into 3 different streams going through Dunkettle

SRR to City
    SRR to M8
    SRR to N25

You would want maybe 60% or more of SRR traffic using just one movement before you would see anything noticeable. The reduction in speed to 50 or 60kph at the junction will also increase capacity versus what the SRR handles at 100kph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Still though, I doubt only having one lane for SRR to M8 will give much of an issue especially given that SRR traffic will be split into 3 different streams going through Dunkettle

SRR to City
    SRR to M8
    SRR to N25

You would want maybe 60% or more of SRR traffic using just one movement before you would see anything noticeable. The reduction in speed to 50 or 60kph at the junction will also increase capacity versus what the SRR handles at 100kph

thanks for the replies; not sure though. the cork metropolitan area is planning to grow very significantly to 2050, how about future proofing the infrastructure? this SRR-M8 movement is likely to experience growth, substantial growth.

mire wrote: »

SRR to City
    SRR to M8
    SRR to N25

thanks for the replies; not sure though. the cork metropolitan area is planning to grow very significantly to 2050, how about future proofing the infrastructure? this SRR-M8 movement is likely to experience growth, substantial growth.

I think the fact that the tunnel is only 2 lanes in each direction was also taken into consideration when doing this junction.

I doubt it will ever be widened to 3 lanes as the cost would be enormous. This will be the limiting factor on capacity rather than the junction.

Alternative options will be put in place. Bridge by Pairc Ui Chaoimh. North Ring Road. Possible further down stream crossing (Rushbrooke to Passage West)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Rushbrooke to Passage West

Would love to see that but I doubt that will ever happen. Hideously expensive high level bridge. Sort out Belvelly Bridge first.

Would love to see that but I doubt that will ever happen. Hideously expensive high level bridge. Sort out Belvelly Bridge first.

Could be done, but they’d put the car ferry out of business.

As for belvelly Bridge, I ain’t even going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume a safe cycling route to get through this junction is the first thing being done here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I presume a safe cycling route to get through this junction is the first thing being done here...

There is mention of cycle infrastructure in the EIS document. Particularly on page 12 or so, it's listed as the 5th priority of the upgrade (after improving capacity, minimising impact, segregating local and strategic traffic, and mimimising weaving).
    To this end they mention
    "
    It is an objective of the scheme to ensure that any solution also includes the provision of pedestrian and cyclist connectivity through the proposed scheme. This facility should coincide with other planned pedestrian and cyclist facilities in the area and also separate these movements from the main traffic movements through the interchange where possible. This objective therefore promotes more sustainable transport modes and will also assist in accessibility between the various areas currently severed by the existing interchange"

You'll find the drawing of this aspect of the design on figure 2.1.1.

Their plans are for pedestrians and cyclists to dash across the Cork-Dublin slip road. When I pointed this out to them they advised me that since traffic would be going at 50kmh it would not be a problem.

Speaking as a cyclist who currently uses the interchange, I believe that this design will very effectively move all cycle traffic away from the Dunkettle area and end cycling as a mode of transport through this junction once and for all.

It's probably off-topic, but considerations for pedestrians and cyclists in large schemes in the Cork area have been consistently poor.

The Ballincollig bypass, Carrigtwohill bypass, Dunkettle Interchange, Bandon Road Roundabout, Sarsfield's Road Roundabout all err on the side of either providing no infrastructure whatsoever or "put cyclists on footpaths and remove free-flow or right-of-way".

If we really were serious as a nation about increasing sustainable transport, then footpaths and cycleways would be treated in the same way as any other traffic lane, rather than trying to get them out of the way by any means possible.

All of the roads mentioned above are dual carraigeways or dual carriageway interchanges that have heavy volumes of traffic moving at upto 120km/h. The exception being the two N40 roundabouts which have residences nearby, but these have pedestrian/cyclist phases built into the traffic signal sequence.

In most areas these roads would be motorway, they are in Dublin (you won't find cyclists or pedestrians on the M1, M4, M7, M11 or M50). They realistically should be and in the case of the N22 and N25 will likely become motorways when they are extended to Macroom and Youghal respectively. They are no place for cyclists, cyclists should not be crossing 120km/h on/off ramps at grade. Cyclist facilities should be provided on either the roads they replaced or totally segregated.

If you live in Swords you don't cycle to Dublin via the M1. The same should apply in Cork with the N25.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Aren't they reattaching the previously severed old road? That would be your east-west cycle route and cyclists shouldn't be going north-south anyway since that would put them in the tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

In most areas these roads would be motorway, they are in Dublin (you won't find cyclists or pedestrians on the M1, M4, M7, M11 or M50). They realistically should be and in the case of the N22 and N25 will likely become motorways when they are extended to Macroom and Youghal respectively. They are no place for cyclists, cyclists should not be crossing 120km/h on/off ramps at grade. Cyclist facilities should be provided on either the roads they replaced or totally segregated.

If you live in Swords you don't cycle to Dublin via the M1. The same should apply in Cork with the N25.

How do you cycle between Glounthouan or Little Island to Cork? It's not like there's the old road to use like from Swords to Dublin.

The NRA have failed in their mandate to provide the safe cycling infrastructure up to now, and should provide it as the first stage of construction works.

How do you cycle between Glounthouan or Little Island to Cork? It's not like there's the old road to use like from Swords to Dublin.

The NRA have failed in their mandate to provide the safe cycling infrastructure up to now, and should provide it as the first stage of construction works.
    What I'm saying is that such a segregated facility should be provided, rather than including space on the dual carriageways and motorways for cyclists.

Ideally you’d have a cycle track alongside the railway going into Little Island and then over into Glounthsune.

Cyclists should not being going through that junction.

What I'm saying is that such a segregated facility should be provided, rather than including space on the dual carriageways and motorways for cyclists.

That's EXACTLY what I was saying marno???
    Current approach is either :
    Cyclists and pedestrians put on a shared-use footpath with loss of right-of-way at every junction
    OR
    No provision whatsoever.

Bandon and Sarsfields road roundabouts favour the former
    Routes from Cork-Midleton, Ovens-Macroom, etc favour the latter

I agree that cyclists shouldn't be on a 120kmh road in an ideal design, but many of the roads and junctions mentioned were direct replacements/upgrades of existing infrastructure. So we upgrade, ban or ignore existing vulnerable users and move on - is that not just a cop-out?

There are houses on the N25 beyond Carrigtwohill, how do they cycle/walk in either direction. What's the best route from Douglas to Togher, Doughcloyne to Wilton Shopping Centre etc. If you think about it you'll realise that we're forcing mixed-mode usage, and conflict is built into the design. People will take the path of least resistance.

87% of people currently access to Little Island by car, despite the fact that it has a train station, I really think we should ask more of some of the designs.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Aren't they reattaching the previously severed old road? That would be your east-west cycle route and cyclists should be going north-south anyway since that would put them in the tunnel.

Unfortunately if you check figure 2.1.1 you'll see that cyclists and pedestrians will share a footpath and then cross the Cork-to-Dublin slip-roads which will be free-flowing traffic. When I asked about this during the consultation they said that there won't be a bridge or underpass, but since traffic will be going 50kmh it should be fine. This is what I meant when I said that it will effectively render the area unusable. More serious cyclists will likely take the 4km detour through Glanmire, whereas casual users and commuters will simply be deterred. Pedestrians are almost non-existent since the previous tunnel interchange, when no dedicated pedestrian route was provided.

I agree with you that the old road would be an ideal east-west cycle route (it's a real shame it wasn't used as such in the current layout).
    I also agree that no north-south movement has ever been facilitated. Discussion on the that can definitely be facilitated elsewhere.

Work has begun on the Dunkettle Interchange scheme, with clearance works now visible beside the old Ibis hotel.

TII say a contractor will be appointed "in the next few months" and "some work may start before the end of 2018".

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dunkettle-interchange-upgrade-begins-465384.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement