Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water saving shower heads - electric shower

• 03-09-2014 8:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

With water charges coming in October, I've had a look on Google at water saving shower heads for an electric shower.

There are quite a few sites offering solutions at different prices, ranging from around €25 to €100 but I'm not sure which ones will work on a gravity fed electric shower.

Electric Ireland do one for around €50 that works on gravity fed showers with pressure of 0.5 bar.

Has anyone tried any of these? Do they really work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How much water will they save, how long will it take to recoup the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

As far as I know they mix air with the water making it seem like there is a lot of water flowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

ted1 wrote: »
    How much water will they save, how long will it take to recoup the cost.

Claims about the amount of water saved vary on different websites for different products (and different water saving shower heads are designed for mains feed as opposed to gravity feed).

For example, this is from the electricireland website:
    Reduces the water used by up to 75% when compared to a Mira Logic showerhead at 0.5 bar pressure.

The Electric Ireland website doesn't make claims about how long to recoup costs (I guess because there are so many variables, e.g. family size, duration of shower, etc.), but this site does:
    Saves Energy by Using Up to 60 % Less Hot Water.
    It is estimated that with an aerated showerhead install a family of four will save over 43,000 litres of water every year.
    It is estimated that a family of four can save up to €290 every year on water and electricity bills using the new aerated showerhead so this product will pay for itself in no time.

So does this site:
    allows you to cut down on your water usage by up to 60% without compromising the quality of your shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Xantia wrote: »
    As far as I know they mix air with the water making it seem like there is a lot of water flowing

This is how the electric Ireland website explains it:
    Water Saving Showerhead aerates the water, creating larger droplets filled with air bubbles to reduce the amount of water used but without any noticeable difference to the water flow. Easy to fit, available in chrome or white, it can be used with standard hoses and fittings. The water-saving technology works whether you prefer a gentle spray or a concentrated flow and you’re still saving water and heating costs.

I assume electric Ireland would have tested any products they sell, so that would give them some advantage over other suppliers.

But claims are one thing, so would still like to hear from someone who fitted one or uses one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

These heads are NOT suitable for electric showers despite what the manufacture claims. Ring any electric shower manufacture & they'll tell you this. They can make the water in your electric shower uncontrollable, water going hot & hold.

You use around 3 liters per minute with your electric shower in the winter & a Maxim of 6 liters per minute in the summer. ( trust me you don't want to be in a shower using less than 3 liters per minute on a cold morning. You'd need to run around the shower to get wet)

These are suitable for power showers. Triton have an eco shower head but it says on the box not suitable for electric showers.

A power shower on the other hand uses 10 liters per minute minimum & as much as 18 liters per minute.

You'd be far better off changing any old cisterns / toilets in the house for modern dual flush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

golfwallah wrote: »
    This is how the electric Ireland website explains it:

I assume electric Ireland would have tested any products they sell, so that would give them some advantage over other suppliers.

But claims are one thing, so would still like to hear from someone who fitted one or uses one.

They have them installed at some hotels and I have used them, however I found the water to be dry !
    Yeah strange but I did notice that the water was different when the tap was running.
    Thanks for the explanation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Highways

Which Magazine have recently issued a positive report on Pulse Eco Showers.
    There is some reduction using Pulse Eco Showers with electric showers but much more for mixer showers. If you're in a hard water area they also prevent scale clogging up the showerhead.

Advertisement