Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumber quote

• 29-08-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm getting a new electric shower installed tomorrow. The plumber said it would cost approx 60/70 euro to install it. Is that a normal rate for installing a shower? He's just switching the old shower with the new one. I don't think it's very expensive, but just wanted to check, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi all, I'm getting a new electric shower installed tomorrow. The plumber said it would cost approx 60/70 euro to install it. Is that a normal rate for installing a shower? He's just switching the old shower with the new one. I don't think it's very expensive, but just wanted to check, thanks
    60-100 is the norm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Seems cheap to me but make sure you get a receipt and a cert etc for your insurance etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Big Davey wrote: »
    Seems cheap to me but make sure you get a receipt and a cert etc for your insurance etc

Don't need a cert for your insurance.

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Don't need a cert for your insurance.

Should an electrician not offer a cert with all work repairs they carry out ? What is the reci stance on this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

What would you deem a reasonable price?, for installing a piece of equipment which has the potential to cause injury or death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

esox28 wrote: »
    What would you deem a reasonable price?, for installing a piece of equipment which has the potential to cause injury or death.

Ahh.
    But at least you'll have a receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The price is good. During good times plumbers got. 150 for this work just incase you wondered

The price is good. During good times plumbers got. 150 for this work just incase you wondered

Don't forget €100 for garden tap.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Ahh.
    But at least you'll have a receipt.
    Better than no receipt would you not agree ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭beatlesfan3333

Thanks guys, very helpful info here. He did it for 70 and did a great job but I didnt get a receipt. In future I think I will though just to be safe, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, very helpful info. I didnt get a receipt but ill be getting one in future, just to be safe, cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Likely wasn't charging VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mrcheez wrote: »
    Likely wasn't charging VAT

Doesn't have to be registered for VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Won't someone please think of the kids!

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be registered for VAT.
    But by law he must at least offer a receipt no ?

Thanks guys, very helpful info here. He did it for 70 and did a great job but I didnt get a receipt. In future I think I will though just to be safe, thanks :)
    When you say you did not "get" a receipt is that you asked and were refused or did not ask ? Keep any info you have ie: full name, phone number, time and date work was carried out etc as your receipt was your guarantee. Were something to go wrong it can be hard to prove to an insurance company you did not just replace it yourself or get "uncle pat" to have a go at it. Insurance companies are great at taking our money but will try by any means possible not to pay out. A legit tradesman should have no problem giving you a receipt and whether he is registered for vat makes no difference to you at all. Obviously tax evaders and dole cheats will be different and not want to give a receipt.

Big Davey wrote: »
    But by law he must at least offer a receipt no ?

Whats the law requires is the recording of the transaction and monies received by the person providing the goods / service.
    Receipts / Invoices are the norm, as well as corresponding entries into account books.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Whats the law requires is the recording of the transaction and monies received by the person providing the goods / service.
    Receipts / Invoices are the norm, as well as corresponding entries into account books.
    And what record does the client have ? Is he/she supposed to ask to see the plumbers books ? The account books are acceptable for business to business transactions but a receipt must be offered to the general public no ?

As I said already, invoices and receipts would be the norm, for me anyway. As most people have email addresses now, I would e.mail the receipt, so they will always have a copy of it. Certainly, if asked, a valid receipt should be produced when requested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's worth the OP mailing/texting the plumber to ask for a receipt, even after the job is complete.

If he doesn't respond/protests then I'd be concerned about the quality of the job that was done, or question the plumber's credentials.

• Advertisement

I don't see any problem with the OP asking for a receipt, regardless of time frame.
    If all is above board, a receipt should be forthcoming without any stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your logic is ridiculous. It's nothing to do with life or death.
    It's a hour or twos work for a qualified tradesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Serviced an oil boiler last week.
    Customer finally figured out installer was not the best when he insisted on cash. No receipt.

And the beautiful part been.
    He called around the next week looking for her to sign a disclaimer !!

ted1 wrote: »

Look I dident mean to be so dramatic, my point was to the op, who considered €35/hr too expensive for a tradesperson to fit an electric shower.
    fitting an electric shower has everything to do with 'serious injury or death' when dealing with 36amps. I don't think that's 'ridiculous', maybe you could point it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Op what was the cost in total including the cost of the shower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ted1 wrote: »

Ted your quote is a little irresponsible here. The electric shower is at least 8.5kw. It uses more electricity than anything else in the house. The point about the price of €70 paid for this job, no receipt, no vat, & no insurance & he still might not have been a qualified tradesman.
    What if OP had bought a 10kw to replace a 9kw Mire Elite & there is only 6mm cable? If this guy fits it, it'll work fine but could burn his house down within a year.

So I have to say it has everything to do with life & death

If you look online You can get an electric shower supplied & fitted for around €300 inc VAT by a shower installation company (most of these ore factory trained). These companies are fully insured, not on the dole & provide a receipt.

I bought the electric shower myself, for 110 in Argos. It was the Mira Go one. He installed it for 70 euro. He seems like a decent chap. I gave him cash and didn't even think of asking for a receipt. But I think you are right, that I should have gotten one. I'm expecting him back in a few weeks to fix a broken toilet so I'll ask him for a receipt then for the shower and get one too for the toilet, thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement