Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I have to leave pump on all day/night?

• 01-09-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, looking for advice here if anyone might be able to help me out please.

Basically we got a range converted back to solid fuel today from oil, and when it was on the oil we just pushed a switch on the wall and the oil and pump came on and after 2 or 3 hours of using the oil we turned it off and all was fine... but from today we're not quite sure what way to work the pump.
    I put on a decent fire today and when the range got piping hot I pushed the electric pump and the radiators heated up, but what I want to know is when it's really cold out and when we stack the range up for overnight heating, do we leave the electric pump on all day and night ? and if so, can anyone with experience tell me if this is expensive electricity wise ?

One last thing as I'm totally new to all this solid fuel situation, in the hot press there is a dial that is set to 60 degrees celcius, I guess this is the thermo for the water, can anyone tell me the most efficient setting for this, if there is one that is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Focusdpc wrote: »
    Hi, looking for advice here if anyone might be able to help me out please.

Basically we got a range converted back to solid fuel today from oil, and when it was on the oil we just pushed a switch on the wall and the oil and pump came on and after 2 or 3 hours of using the oil we turned it off and all was fine... but from today we're not quite sure what way to work the pump.
    I put on a decent fire today and when the range got piping hot I pushed the electric pump and the radiators heated up, but what I want to know is when it's really cold out and when we stack the range up for overnight heating, do we leave the electric pump on all day and night ? and if so, can anyone with experience tell me if this is expensive electricity wise ?

One last thing as I'm totally new to all this solid fuel situation, in the hot press there is a dial that is set to 60 degrees celcius, I guess this is the thermo for the water, can anyone tell me the most efficient setting for this, if there is one that is.

There shouldn't be an on/off switch for the circ pump.
    The thermostat should be set to 60 and that controls the pump, assuming it's piped on a gravity circuit of course. Does the switch turn off the power to the stat?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Focusdpc

Hi Dtp1979 and thanks for the reply.

I'm totally new to this as moved from a house with gas to oil and now onto solid fuel so I'm literally lost when it comes all the settings including the pump but I'm getting there slowly but surely :)

Basically we had a guy out today to do the conversion back to solid fuel on the range cooker and he had a look in the hot press and told me to turn the switch on beside the ranger cooker in the kitchen, he said here heard it working (the pump when I turned on switch) and if I heard banging from the pipes it was time to turn on the pump from this switch.
    Now to be honest I didn't hear any banging before I turned on the pump, I got a good fire going and the rads didn't seem to be getting hot and I turned it on and then after awhile the rads and the water heated up.
    But I'm wondering if I have to use this 'switch' at all or should it look after it's self ?

I'll upload an image of this 'switch' which looks like a timer and an on/off switch all in one.

I've had the pump on for the past 5 hours and don't know if I should have or not :/

Thanks for the dig out here I really appreciate it :)

Wait till the pipes are banging. Shocking advise to be honest.
    Yes take some pics. Take some pics of the hot press pipe work too. Like pump location and stat location. Show as much as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Focusdpc

Hi, yes I'm really glad with the range and the way it's working out so far as in heating the rads but I just don't feel right until I have this pump situation in hand.

I've included 4 pics below, the first one is of the 'switch' that apparently turns the pump on. This particular switch was used to turn the oil on just this morning but since the conversion I'm told I still have to turn it on to send the water to the rads.
    The second image is just of the thermo but I don't know if this is independent or is used in conjunction with the 'switch'.
    The third image isn't great, it's from the hotpress and the pipes coming into it and into a tank with a jacket beside it.
    The fourth image is from the bottom of the hot press and the chap said this is the pump and it comes on when I turn that switch on.

That's all I know really... but what I'm wondering is this range was originally solid fuel so before it was converted to oil how did the previous people control the pump as this 'switch' looks quite new'ish and did they have to have it on all day :/

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated :)

EDIT............

Sorry I can't post the images or urls as I'm a new user.... *scratches head* trying to think if there is a way I can post the images...

Focusdpc wrote: »
    Hi, yes I'm really glad with the range and the way it's working out so far as in heating the rads but I just don't feel right until I have this pump situation in hand.

I've included 4 pics below, the first one is of the 'switch' that apparently turns the pump on. This particular switch was used to turn the oil on just this morning but since the conversion I'm told I still have to turn it on to send the water to the rads.
    The second image is just of the thermo but I don't know if this is independent or is used in conjunction with the 'switch'.
    The third image isn't great, it's from the hotpress and the pipes coming into it and into a tank with a jacket beside it.
    The fourth image is from the bottom of the hot press and the chap said this is the pump and it comes on when I turn that switch on.

That's all I know really... but what I'm wondering is this range was originally solid fuel so before it was converted to oil how did the previous people control the pump as this 'switch' looks quite new'ish and did they have to have it on all day :/

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated :)

EDIT............

Sorry I can't post the images or urls as I'm a new user.... *scratches head* trying to think if there is a way I can post the images...

Sorry I can't help much until I see the pics. You need 50 posts to allow you to put pics up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

For the sake of safety I'd recommend getting a GOOD plumber out to have a look & advise.
    Banging pipes advice is crazy.
    When it starts banging it is reaching boiling point, boiling water produces steam, steam is explosive !

It's maybe all ok, but we can't be 100% sure, so you need a second opinion.

Advertisement