Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Help please**Bios??

• 11-02-2008 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

ok the long and the short of it is, i need to update my BIOS or EFI,
    how do i go about doing this??:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What is the make/model of the laptop? Why do you need to update it anyway? Try going to the manufacturers website for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Make and model of laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

its old-its a fuijitsu siemens amilo pro running on Xp
    i need to update them to support a web cam..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are you sure you're not just looking for a driver for the webcam?

nope have installed the drivers and its not recognising the webcam so i went to the trouble shooter and it said that i needed to update my BOIS if there was a small yellow warning sign beside it in device managers and low and behold there it was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i think updating the bios would be the last step.

did you try un-installing the driver's for the webcam, and manually adding the drivers instead of using the cd setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

i think updating the bios would be the last step.
    I agree, defintely try to find proper drivers, most up to date from webcam makers site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Yep I agree your drivers aren't installed properly.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Don't dismiss a bios update out of hand, i've seen it resolve some rather odd issues. It would really be a bit of a stretch though. As above, make sure you are using the correct drivers from the manufacturer for the webcam.

Fujuitsu site has drivers for various amilo's, which one do you have? You should be able to find your updates here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Shamanic wrote: »
    nope have installed the drivers and its not recognising the webcam so i went to the trouble shooter and it said that i needed to update my BOIS if there was a small yellow warning sign beside it in device managers and low and behold there it was!

Two things - the yellow triangle is a generic warning sign that indicates a problem with the hardware. 99% of the time it is the driver.

The other thing is, if you are asking this type of question about updating your BIOS, then that indicates you may not have much experience with this type of operation. You can seriously damage your laptop if you make a mistake. It is a solution of very last resort. Especially for something as trivial as a webcam.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replys. The camera is very much needed as my partners parents just moved to a different country and she wants to be able to ''see'' them when she talks to them.

ok when i plug the camera into the usb port the computer recognises it straight away. But when i install the software, and when i downloaded the new drivers, when it asks me to connect the camera and i do so and click 'ok' it asks again and again and again...
    Now the computer still recognises it but there is some problem that when it asks me to connect it and i do it keeps asking over and over again..
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Shamanic wrote: »
    ok when i plug the camera into the usb port the computer recognises it straight away. But when i install the software,...

It's often a good idea with brand new USB devices to install the software first, before connecting the device to your PC/Laptop. A lot of the new HP Colour Laser printers work like that.

What I would do is... first plug out the webcam from the laptop.
    Uninstall all the software that came with the webcam. Restart the laptop.
    Run the full Setup again from the CD that came with the device.
    Then plug in the webcam to the USB port once the software has installed successfully.

It might be also worth checking the camera manufacturers website for update Webcam Software & Drivers.

i have uninstalled the software, restarted and then reinstalled the software but to no avail.. i have no idea if its my laptop of the camera itself..

Advertisement