Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre dropping for 8-10 minutes multiple times a day

Options
  • 29-06-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey guys,

We have had two people out to look at the fault - the first guy said that the physical wire on our wall/roof into the internal socket would have to be replaced and that the original eFibre installer shouldn't have signed off on the account until that was replaced. A second guy then came out to the house and spent all his time outdoors checking connections and didn't replace the wire. We now have periods of up to 10 minutes at a time where the internet light is flashing on the eFibre router and we cannot get online. This happens multiple times each day. We've done the usual switching the router off and connecting wired, etc, but from what we've been told, this will keep happening until the wire is changed. Can we get someone out to sort that for us? When the eFibre does work, we're getting 11mbps download and less than 1mbps upload which isn't amazing, but if it was constant, at least it would suffice (enough to enable to me work from home). It's my father-in-law's house but I have all the account details if needed. I've attached a screenshot showing the connection speed from earlier this month on Speedtest app.

Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hey guys,

We have had two people out to look at the fault - the first guy said that the physical wire on our wall/roof into the internal socket would have to be replaced and that the original eFibre installer shouldn't have signed off on the account until that was replaced. A second guy then came out to the house and spent all his time outdoors checking connections and didn't replace the wire. We now have periods of up to 10 minutes at a time where the internet light is flashing on the eFibre router and we cannot get online. This happens multiple times each day. We've done the usual switching the router off and connecting wired, etc, but from what we've been told, this will keep happening until the wire is changed. Can we get someone out to sort that for us? When the eFibre does work, we're getting 11mbps download and less than 1mbps upload which isn't amazing, but if it was constant, at least it would suffice (enough to enable to me work from home). It's my father-in-law's house but I have all the account details if needed. I've attached a screenshot showing the connection speed from earlier this month on Speedtest app.

Thanks

Brian
    Hello brian_bugle

I am sorry to hear of this, please do feel free to PM me the account information and I will look in to this further for you.

Many thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

Alan, Can I just add that it seems to be a very similar story to that posted by Spiritine on this same thread this month. Would be great to get his engineer out our way to sort out the wires/cables!!

Alan, Can I just add that it seems to be a very similar story to that posted by Spiritine on this same thread this month. Would be great to get his engineer out our way to sort out the wires/cables!!
    Thanks brian_bugle

I have escalated this the same route I took with spiritine - I will update you with as much information I obtain.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Alan

Thanks Alan
    No problem brian_bugle

Al

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

Just wondering if you have any updates for me? We've not heard from anyone and nobody has been out here as far as we're aware.

Thanks

Brian

Anybody there at all???

Any response???

Any update???

Any chance of some improvement in this service that we're PAYING for???

Two full working weeks since I logged this issue and I've not heard a single thing about how or when it's going to be fixed.

Anybody there at all???

Any response???

Any update???

Any chance of some improvement in this service that we're PAYING for???

Two full working weeks since I logged this issue and I've not heard a single thing about how or when it's going to be fixed.
    Apologies for the delays in getting back to you brian_bugle

I had been away for a few days. For a more instantaneous communication it is best to speak with technical support directly on 1890260260 or via webchat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow

I#m genuinely sorry to hear these issues are still ongoing and to hear no contact has been made to you by engineers. I have again requested an update for our techical support team and as soon as I have an update I'll let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Al

Sorry for grumpiness - just can't stream Netflix etc or work from home till it stops dropping so often

Brian

I had been away for a few days. For a more instantaneous communication it is best to speak with technical support directly on 1890260260 or via webchat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow

I#m genuinely sorry to hear these issues are still ongoing and to hear no contact has been made to you by engineers. I have again requested an update for our techical support team and as soon as I have an update I'll let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Al

Sorry for grumpiness - just can't stream Netflix etc or work from home till it stops dropping so often

Brian

Thanks
    Al
    Totally understand brian_bugle

I have assurances from a manager in technical support that this is prioritised at the highest level. As soon as I have more information I'll let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

This is beyond a joke now Alan. We received a text early last week saying our problem "SHOULD" (written in capitals in the text) be resolved but if not to let you know. I actually ignored this as nobody had been at the house and we'd received no communication. Two days later we then got a second text saying an engineer would be out to the house to fix the problem before or on 17/07. It is now heading into 21/07 and not only have we not received communication from an engineer, the efibre connection is now less stable than it ever has been (latency test failed for up to an hour on speedtest and the odd occasion it does connect speeds of 1 to 4 mbps are common) and the issue is still not fixed. We are paying extra for this awful service while I pass signs on the road advertising the new 1,000 Mbps broadband
    "coming soon"

Far be it from me to suggest you should ensure everybody can get the wonderful 40mbps speeds others can get on efibre before you roll this new product out - but it's really getting to a stage where we're going to have to refuse to pay the bill until somebody in Eircom or KN Services finally calls out to our house and fixes the problem.

I don't want you to let me know when you have more information Alan, I want an engineer out to the house tomorrow, Tuesday 21st, and I want the problem fixed.

I think we have been more than patient at this stage. I hope you understand our frustration.

Attached are some of the crazy slow speeds we've been able to get when it has connected. I don't have any results of the multiple latency test failures obviously

I have assurances from a manager in technical support that this is prioritised at the highest level. As soon as I have more information I'll let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al

This is beyond a joke now Alan. We received a text early last week saying our problem "SHOULD" (written in capitals in the text) be resolved but if not to let you know. I actually ignored this as nobody had been at the house and we'd received no communication. Two days later we then got a second text saying an engineer would be out to the house to fix the problem before or on 17/07. It is now heading into 21/07 and not only have we not received communication from an engineer, the efibre connection is now less stable than it ever has been (latency test failed for up to an hour on speedtest and the odd occasion it does connect speeds of 1 to 4 mbps are common) and the issue is still not fixed. We are paying extra for this awful service while I pass signs on the road advertising the new 1,000 Mbps broadband
    "coming soon"  

Far be it from me to suggest you should ensure everybody can get the wonderful 40mbps speeds others can get on efibre before you roll this new product out - but it's really getting to a stage where we're going to have to refuse to pay the bill until somebody in Eircom or KN Services finally calls out to our house and fixes the problem.

I don't want you to let me know when you have more information Alan, I want an engineer out to the house tomorrow, Tuesday 21st, and I want the problem fixed.

I think we have been more than patient at this stage. I hope you understand our frustration.

Attached are some of the crazy slow speeds we've been able to get when it has connected. I don't have any results of the multiple latency test failures obviously

Thanks
    Al
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear this brian_bugle

I am aware that you have stated that you do not want me to reply advising you that I'll get back to you as soon as I have more info however the information you require is something that is just not available to me and I will need to request clarification from eircoms technical support team. I certainly understand your frustration Brian but and I will certainly convey your urgency to the technical support team.

Thanks
    Al

And still we wait . . . . .

Have tried ringing 1901 in the meantime but they just give us the usual "there doesn't seem to be any fault on the line at the minute" - which is correct. But our problem is that within two minutes or two hours of hanging up on the call, we're back down to either not able to establish a connection or have speed tests fluctuating wildly from 1mbps to 4mbps and settling around 5 in the end.

This is unbelievably poor customer service from Eircom. 

Does anyone else on this facility know of anything else I can do to force eircom to send someone out to our place and get this fixed? Can I contact Comreg over it? Dare I say it - can we refuse to pay the bill because they're not providing the service we've signed up to? It's been almost a month since I logged the problem on here, never mind the phonecalls and false dawns of having people out here before that, and we're still waiting, still being left in the dark, still unable to watch a film on Netflix in the evening, still unable to work from home.

Please - somebody help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

God, somebody is calling out to my house tomorrow to connect me to Eircom for the first time - I am a small bit worried now that I may have made the wrong decision based on this thread.  

Your frustration is as plain as day Brian.  It's also as plain as day that it is not Alan's fault - he is on the frontline and there is seemingly very little he can do and he just gets repeatedly fobbed off himself.  

It sounds like there are not enough staff to deal with problems like this as they arise.

Hmmmmm - the dates on the above posts are a pretty damning indictment..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hi brian, it sounds like we may have the same issue. Pretty much identical symptoms and reaction from technicians and support. Thread is here; it's a bit of an ongoing saga. Currently waiting on senior technical support staff to get back to us, for about two weeks now. The current solution is to put us on the lowest possible speed profile as that doesn't trigger the error, however anyone who has tested the line tells us that it's capable of at least 80 Mb/s. KN have told me to stop getting them called out. Maybe if there are multiple incidences of the same problem it might get put on a higher priority with senior staff for investigation...

Here's the latest from my side

Rang 1901 on Saturday as we had been without wifi for almost an hour. 
    It was wonderful going through the process again of "can you switch off the modem on the right hand side, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it back on please"

I even stuck a pin in the reset hole after he requested the same.

A full 30 minutes later of either no connection or slow and intermittent connection, the rep on the phone told me he was going to "try something at this end" and that he would ring me back on the landline when that was done.

You'll never guess what?!?!

Yep - still waiting on that call.

Meanwhile, I've been using my iPhone (with one bar of 3G coverage) as a more reliable internet connection so I can get online.

I start work from home this coming Friday - looks like I'll be using the iPhone hotspot again.

Please tell me Alan that at the very least, we will not be charged for this awful service while we await any form of communication from engineers??

Here's the latest from my side

Rang 1901 on Saturday as we had been without wifi for almost an hour. 
    It was wonderful going through the process again of "can you switch off the modem on the right hand side, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it back on please"

I even stuck a pin in the reset hole after he requested the same.

A full 30 minutes later of either no connection or slow and intermittent connection, the rep on the phone told me he was going to "try something at this end" and that he would ring me back on the landline when that was done.

You'll never guess what?!?!

Yep - still waiting on that call.

Meanwhile, I've been using my iPhone (with one bar of 3G coverage) as a more reliable internet connection so I can get online.

I start work from home this coming Friday - looks like I'll be using the iPhone hotspot again.

Please tell me Alan that at the very least, we will not be charged for this awful service while we await any form of communication from engineers??
    Hello brian_bugle

I have again escalate this case to our technical support teams who have assured me they will contact you.

I'm sorry I can't do more

Thanks
    Al

Another frustrating 40 minutes on the phone to tech support on Friday. Had no issues all morning on my first day working from home; then couldn't get any connection for about 20 minutes in the afternoon. As always, by the time I get through to a rep the problem seems to have resolved itself. But I ended up having a row with poor Richard on the other end. The eircom system that he sees says there is no fault on the line. That the connection has been constant for X amount of days. I ended up having to get a little bit angry and tell him "I don't care what your system is telling you. I'm the customer. I'm the one paying the bill. I can tell even from the tone of your voice with that last comment that you don't believe me when I tell you that, yes, we have full wifi bars on all the devices we are using and that, yes, we have all four lights green on the modem, but for anywhere from four to 40 minutes at a time, multiple times a day, we cannot get online." I can't connect to work, we can't watch Netflix, we can't even load Facebook.
    So then I mentioned that the fault has been logged on here for several weeks. I nearly lost the plot when he said that wasn't showing on our account. I asked well what's the point of me even bothering with Boards if there's no sync between the reps on here who have the account number and tech support who have the same account number. A while later he realised he hadn't opened a second page which is where the contact on here had been hiding. 
    Anyway, the upshot of it all is that we're getting a new modem sent out, which is the first step down the road to trying to get something sorted.
    I know it's not the modem. In fact, if it is the modem, I'll call up to Eircom HQ and personally apologise to Richard and anyone else who's had to deal with this case. When that arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday, we'll try it out and then no doubt, I'll be on to tech support the next day telling them it wasn't the modem and that a technician needs to be sent out.
    The big problem with that of course is that he'll sit in a van down at the exchange with an iPad and tell us an hour later there's no fault logged on the line. And it's that nonsense that is doing my head in. He needs to be in the house and he needs to hang round until we can show him exactly what the issue is when it happens. 

Well, I'm allowed to dream aren't I??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

Brian, 
    How are things using ethernet (not wifi)?
    If you have a lot of devices connecting to the router, you could try setting eircom dns on your devices rather than using the dns proxy on the router.
    The following may help
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/90834905
    jd

Mind if you send me a PM on that? Not entirely sure I'm 100% sure what I'd be doing 

• Advertisement

Hi brian_Bungle

The notes from the last call reflect the following

You are  getting 11.6 Mbps download over the wifi.
    You have been informed that’s the best you can get from a 15mbps connection. Speed will be better with the Ethernet.
    Your wifi is dropping again when you are 15 feet away from the modem.
    There is a glass door and a concrete wall between the modem and the device
    It was Explained that how wifi works and changed the wifi channel on the modem.
    You were asked to monitor the wifi and call us back if it’s not improved.
    You were also advised that if the wifi keeps on dropping while you are near the modem , we will replace the modem.
    If the new modem doesn’t work then we would advise wifi boosters

Further to this I have been advised to ask you to contact technical support should you experience further issues with this.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Al,

There probably should be another update after that stating that a new modem has been sent out to us. 

Thanks

Brian

Thanks Al,

There probably should be another update after that stating that a new modem has been sent out to us. 

Thanks

Brian
    Thanks brian_bugle

As stated in the notes please let the technical support team know if there are any issues with the new modem.

Thanks
    Al

Madness at this stage - we got a THIRD router out to the house. It worked okay for a while. And I really do mean okay - not perfectly. But it was grand. 
    And suddenly we started having the same problems again. So a couple of us rang. We got the same old nonsense about being close to the router, and if there was anything near it that might interfere and whether there was a wall between the router and our FULL wifi signal on all types of devices. 

By pure luck, one day, one of us rang and managed to get a guy on the phone who could actually see serious problems on the line that nobody had been able to see before. Happy days!! At last - someone who can see exactly what we've been on about for months now.

Way too good to be true. 

Engineer booked and apparently our case is "high priority" so he calls out and tells account holder that the cable over the road looks frayed and they're going to replace the pole and the cable and that should be it. We get one of those most annoying of texts: "your problem SHOULD be resolved". Oh god I tell you if I ever meet the guy who decided to put that word in CAPITALS . . . . . . .

It SHOULD have been sorted months ago when this fat was logged. It SHOULD have been sorted by the multiples of people we've been on the phone to. It SHOULD have been sorted by this ENGINEER who replaced either/both the pole and the cable. We have been unable to get online solidly for over 24 hours here. Frustration doesn't even get close. I know I'm not the first to say this, but €16m on a rebrand to lose three letters??? Do me a favour lads - spend €16m on your awful broadband service (in certain areas) and you won't have to deal with emails like this. There are currently four of us in this house who cannot get online for email, internet, Skype, Netflix and more. And there will be four of us on the phone to you tomorrow (Monday 28th) telling you the next bill is NOT (!) being paid until this is finally sorted. At this stage, it is beyond ridiculous. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eir: Tony

Madness at this stage - we got a THIRD router out to the house. It worked okay for a while. And I really do mean okay - not perfectly. But it was grand. 
    And suddenly we started having the same problems again. So a couple of us rang. We got the same old nonsense about being close to the router, and if there was anything near it that might interfere and whether there was a wall between the router and our FULL wifi signal on all types of devices. 

By pure luck, one day, one of us rang and managed to get a guy on the phone who could actually see serious problems on the line that nobody had been able to see before. Happy days!! At last - someone who can see exactly what we've been on about for months now.

Way too good to be true. 

Engineer booked and apparently our case is "high priority" so he calls out and tells account holder that the cable over the road looks frayed and they're going to replace the pole and the cable and that should be it. We get one of those most annoying of texts: "your problem SHOULD be resolved". Oh god I tell you if I ever meet the guy who decided to put that word in CAPITALS . . . . . . .

It SHOULD have been sorted months ago when this fat was logged. It SHOULD have been sorted by the multiples of people we've been on the phone to. It SHOULD have been sorted by this ENGINEER who replaced either/both the pole and the cable. We have been unable to get online solidly for over 24 hours here. Frustration doesn't even get close. I know I'm not the first to say this, but €16m on a rebrand to lose three letters??? Do me a favour lads - spend €16m on your awful broadband service (in certain areas) and you won't have to deal with emails like this. There are currently four of us in this house who cannot get online for email, internet, Skype, Netflix and more. And there will be four of us on the phone to you tomorrow (Monday 28th) telling you the next bill is NOT (!) being paid until this is finally sorted. At this stage, it is beyond ridiculous. 
    Hi brian_bugle
    I have had update from tech support manager and have PM'd you re this. Can you have a look and see if possible to reduce devices to test again. Tony

Yeah sent a PM back there Tony

This is ridiculous Tony. 

As I said, we finally got a guy on the line who could see problems. We were told that the cable coming from the pole was frayed and both the pole and the cable would be replaced. Then we got a message saying our problem SHOULD be fixed.

We've had nothing but trouble since this apparently happened. Except when we ring today, we are told that this didn't in fact happen. Neither the pole nor the cable were replaced and it is that we have 16 devices connected to the router (not the nine you told me by PM yday Tony) and that the fact we have a baby monitor and a microwave oven in the house is what is causing this.

To say I am furious is an understatement Tony.

What the f*** is going on with this account? 

I told you yesterday by PM that it was not possible that nine devices were active on the router when it was checked yesterday. My iPad wasn't switched on, two of the devices listed weren't in the house and the Apple TV wasn't switched on.

How can one guy tell us the cable is frayed and it will be replaced, and then the guy on the phone today tell us that that didn't happen and it's because of our baby monitor (which isn't switched on during the day) and our microwave (which is only used very occasionally throughout the day).

Why aren't thousands of other customers who have baby monitors and microwave ovens having the same problems then???

Come on Tony - get this sorted out 

No response on here or to my last PM - response time increasing; response rate falling. €16m well spent I see.

Update on our "fibre" (and I really do use that term in its most lose sense - when it works, we get 11.2 download and 1.0 upload!) situation at home:

Guy came out last week - actually came into the house this time (bonus!)

Told him about everything that's been going on. Had a look at the cable in the house. Didn't think it was faulty. Had a look at the white socket on the wall (not the power, where we take the eircom line from for phone and modem). Said something about a mix of old and new so he replaced the whole unit.
    That was last Friday (October 2). Worked fine for the rest of Friday and into Saturday. Then when I got in from work Saturday night (approx 1am) all the way through to about Sunday evening we couldn't get online. It's happened a couple of times since then as well.

Does anyone have any idea on what we might be able to do?
    Is it time to go to ComReg - we're not getting the service we're paying for afterall?

Advertisement