Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get UK EPG on expired Irish Sky account

Options
  • 26-02-2015 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

My Mum cancelled her Sky account last month, and now gets "Call XXX to upgrade" etc on her Sky box. She has Saorview but wants the UK Free to air (or view) channels if posssible s well.

Is there a way of getting the UK EPG on the Sky box? Ideally including ch5.

Or should I just bring her over a UK FreeSat box and save the hassle?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

If it's one of the newer HD boxes, you need a UK Free to View sky card to hold the box on the UK epg.

Lots on adverts.ie for a few Euro

If's it's an old box, remove the Sky card, un plug and restart and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fitzy73_London

It's a new(ish) box. So even if she takes the card out it still won't revert?

I've had a look at at few of those cards on adverts.ie .. looks good but does she need the original pin code or anything like that? Doubt if she has it. And how would it work - remove old card and replace it with the new card? Simple as that or more complex? She isn't young so it'll be a nightmare trying to explain what to do over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

It's a new(ish) box. So even if she takes the card out it still won't revert?

I've had a look at at few of those cards on adverts.ie .. looks good but does she need the original pin code or anything like that? Doubt if she has it. And how would it work - remove old card and replace it with the new card? Simple as that or more complex? She isn't young so it'll be a nightmare trying to explain what to do over the phone.

Its as simple as removing the old one and replacing it with new one so she wont need any pin No. or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

When you say newish you dont say if its HD or SD but to get UK epg its not just a case of taking the card out, the box remembers the irish epg, sky are not silly. What you need to try is do a reboot of the box with the card OUT. A reboot is switch off box with remote, unplug from wall socket, wait a few minutes, plug back in at wall and wait for about 4 mins. Use remote to power on, it should now start and will be on channel 998, press tv guide and with a bit of luck it wil have bbc1 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

swoofer wrote: »
    When you say newish you dont say if its HD or SD but to get UK epg its not just a case of taking the card out, the box remembers the irish epg, sky are not silly. What you need to try is do a reboot of the box with the card OUT. A reboot is switch off box with remote, unplug from wall socket, wait a few minutes, plug back in at wall and wait for about 4 mins. Use remote to power on, it should now start and will be on channel 998, press tv guide and with a bit of luck it wil have bbc1 etc.

Simple to check, take out the card and try the reboot, if it still comes up with RTE on 101, you need a UK card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

on the sd boxes they revert to UK epg, hd boxes retain the irish epg, in which case get a card on adverts or post one over. I have two hd boxes with UK cards, works fine.

Advertisement