Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

making assumptions based on shopping on belt in front of you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

bubblypop wrote: »
    yea buy ingrediants, make a spag bol, take one portion now, then freeze te rest, prob have another 3 or 4 dinners in the freezer

If I live alone and have no freezer? Am I to live on spag bol for five days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

MadsL wrote: »
    Then I would challenge you to make say a Spag Bol from scratch for less than you could buy it as a microwave dinner.

If you always have a well stocked cupboard with tinned tomatoes, stock cubes, herbs, pasta, rice etc. then it doesn't take much to put a meal together. If I buy mince I normally use half for a bolognese and half for a chilli the next night. I've already got most of the other ingredients I need so don't need to buy them every time. That's better value than a microwave meal and a lot healthier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Oh I agree I would taste better, but the challenge was to make the same portion for less from scratch. That I would say is impossible, and the point I'm making is that is why some people end up existing on processed food.

Works out more expensive in the long-run. If only I knew as a student what I know now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We've all popped down to the local Tesco - wearing a hoody and tracky bottoms - for a few beers before and grabbed something grotty like Koka noodles or a 6 pack of Meanies on impulse and then ended up queuing beside a really attractive woman (your own age) and fighting the urge for 5 minutes to shout that you've already done a monthly grown up shop and you're not a divorced alcoholic living in a bedsit.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Bit judgemental, no?

I used to eat quite a bit of processed food. I worked very long hours and until very late at night and I just didn't have the time/energy to be cooking every night and my flatmates didn't appreciate me banging around the kitchen at midnight either. Sure, I often tried to have a healthy option like a sandwich, but I was usually starving and wanted something hot/filling.

I do like cooking, but for some people it's a lot harder than for others due to their job or lifestyle.

Yeh, it is judgmental of me, I don't deny it. It's what the thread is about afterall!

And my first post referred specifically to families with overweight kids. No single folk working night shifts.

If your kids are fat stop feeding them pizza and chicken nuggest and washing it down with fizzy orange. It's unfair on them, really bloody unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

I know a girl who was approached by a man in the supermarket who told her that she should have meat in her trolley that it wasn't healthy not to have meat. .

Did she peep into the contents of his basket? I bet it had condoms and lube in it and she missed out on a good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Oh I agree I would taste better, but the challenge was to make the same portion for less from scratch. That I would say is impossible, and the point I'm making is that is why some people end up existing on processed food.

No its not impossible, you are just trying to change the goalposts now!
    People usually (though not always) end up using processed foods because they are either to lazy to cook, or to lazy to learn how to cook properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

I enjoy drinking soda so I go to the discount store and buy five 2 litre bottles and also a packet of disposable razors, I don't know what message that sends out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If I live alone and have no freezer? Am I to live on spag bol for five days?
    That has nothing to do with a microwave dinner being cheaper.

Admit it, you're wrong. ;)

People usually (though not always) end up using processed foods because they are either to lazy to cook, or to lazy to learn how to cook properly.

There is also income levels too, that's all I'm saying.

You cannot make the same convenient portion for the same price. You can make multiples and freeze them, not everyone however has a freezer.

• Advertisement

That has nothing to do with a microwave dinner being cheaper.

Admit it, you're wrong. ;)

Price it out and prove me wrong then...

You cannot make the same convenient portion for the same price. You can make multiples and freeze them, not everyone however has a freezer.

I have never, ever met someone who didn't have a freezer. Ever.

Its far from impossible, it just takes a bit of planning and minimal work.

That's why people exist on convenience food. Because it's more convenient for the lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Then I would challenge you to make say a Spag Bol from scratch for less than you could buy it as a microwave dinner.

No prob. Not sure how much a microwave effort is, but..

This should make 4 x large portions of spag bol.
    I have not actually checked prices, but am 100% sure in some instances I have allowed too much budget for some ingredients.

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    2 x carrots (large) €0.50
    1 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    Dried Herbs €0.50
    1 x red pepper (Large) €0.80
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    1 tbsp tomatoe puree €0.50
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.55

Approx €3.20 per portion (Large)

Ah come on now! Everyone has a freeze box in their fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I don't have a freezer. Just a smaller than average fridge with no small freezer bit at the top.

But then again I haven't met you. To my knowledge.

I've never seen that clip before. Did Johnny Giles give his name to condoms or something?

It was haemorrhoid cream. Johnny Giles = Piles.

Johnny Giles condoms does have a certain Je ne sais quoi though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    If you always have a well stocked cupboard with tinned tomatoes, stock cubes, herbs, pasta, rice etc. then it doesn't take much to put a meal together. If I buy mince I normally use half for a bolognese and half for a chilli the next night. I've already got most of the other ingredients I need so don't need to buy them every time. That's better value than a microwave meal and a lot healthier

Takes a hell of a lot of time to cook and wash up all the dishes compared to throwing something in the microwave for 5 minutes.

As for freezing extra portions, plenty of people don't have a freezer. I haven't had one for about 5 years.

It's very often not about laziness.

W123-80's wrote: »

I have not actually checked prices, but am 100% sure in some instances I have allowed too much budget for some ingredients.

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    1 x carrots (large) €0.50
    2 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.05

Approx €3.02 per portion (Large)
    You can get a tube of tomato puree, spaghetti and cans of tomatoes in Aldi for less than €1 each. Mince would be cheaper too. Dunnes and Tesco often have offers on mince as do butchers. You could make it a cheaper than that.

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    1 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.05

Approx €3.02 per portion (Large)

Cloves? Eeeeeeewwwwwww. You just ruined my dinner :(

Edit: :pac:

Cloves of garlic. That makes much more sense. Carry on :P

• Advertisement

Ah come on now! Everyone has a freeze box in their fridge.
    What if they live alone and don't have a fridge? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Wow. We obviously move in different circles. I don't have one and most of my friends in rental accommodation don't either.
    Candie wrote: »
    Its far from impossible, it just takes a bit of planning and minimal work.

That's why people exist on convenience food. Because it's more convenient for the lazy.

And those who have mobility issues, work ridiculous hours, don't have freezers, can't buy in bulk, just don't enjoy cooking...

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    And those who have mobility issues, work ridiculous hours, don't have freezers, can't buy in bulk, just don't enjoy cooking...

I would say those people are likely to be in the minority of convenience food purchasers.

You can cook fish and veg in the microwave.

Edit: Whole load of stuff you can cook in the microwave, in fact.

It was haemorrhoid cream. Johnny Giles = Piles.

Ah. Well, I feel stupid now!:o

Johnny Giles condoms does have a certain Je ne sais quoi though. ;)

Maybe a goal-keeper's name would be more appropriate.;) Oliver Kahn was an excellent goalie when I was a teenager.

A pack of Ollie's there, love!

Ah. Well, I feel stupid now!:o
    Only now?:)
    Maybe a goal-keeper's name would be more appropriate.;) Oliver Kahn was an excellent goalie when I was a teenager.

A pack of Ollie's there, love![

They'd probably be called Oliver Kahn Nots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Any man in his 30's who uses Lynx is definitely single.

:confused: The confusedness is from knowing a fair few non-single 30-something men who use Lynx. Don't see what the big deal is, it's just deodorant!

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    1 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    Dried Herbs €0.50
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.55

So ...16 times the price of this...:eek:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274747434

Must try harder. :D

Only now?:)

They'd probably be called Oliver Kahn Nots!

Ouch! A double whammy! Or as the solicitors of some couple with an unplanned pregnancy would say to Ollie, "Twins!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

1lb mince €5.00
    2 x tins tomatoes €2.00
    1 x Onion (Large) €0.70
    Dried Herbs €0.50
    2 x sticks celery €0.35
    2 x cloves garlic €0.20
    Spagetti €2.00
    Total €12.55

you have overpriced a few items both mostly spot on. I would however ditch the feckin celery and add red wine.

Advertisement