Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

making assumptions based on shopping on belt in front of you

• 10-09-2013 10:11pm

so, there was a guy infront of me today in the dunnes grocery dept.

he had the usual boy toilet things, linx shower gel, deodarant, and shave gel.
    he then had parmessan cheese.
    broccoli
    spinach
    eggs.

i totally made an assumption about him!
    he looked in his 30's

not married, sharing with people he doesnt know too well.
    but seems to be interested in healthy food.

trying to be healthy but didnt really look like he goes to gym too often!!
    ( maybe he is only starting!)
    am i terrible making assumptions???!!

do u make assumptions based on grocery shopping ahead of you on belt?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I do this in my head all the time. It's fun, and it passes a few minutes while you're waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I make the assumption that the person in front of me better pay and f**k off pronto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Cat food and a single portion microwave dinner... Sends out all the right messages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Also do this, but get a bit self concious that someone is doing it to my purchases also. so try & have an eclectic mix just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I do this all the time then get really self conscious and usually try to hide my toffee pops and Mr Kipling under my one bag of lettuce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Women.

Ice-cream
    Wine
    Chocolate
    Kleenex

I'm assuming chickflick night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Vagiclean - I assume there's a little extra cheese on the taco, some old chick has a full-on fallopian fungus. She's baking a loaf of bread and I think it's sourdough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

When I go shopping with the wife I always mess. One of the things I always do is grab 3 boxes of condoms and bury them in other peoples shopping. Its great when you see them up a the till.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I think everyone makes assumptions like that.........have often been surprise by sundried tomatoes, anchovies, expensive olive oil ie a foodie type basket from some randomer that you wouldn't expect & then the reverse of a basket of crap from "Mrs Bouquet" type...I love it like other poster says it passes the time in the q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I tend to make assumptions about the post before me....!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I was in tesco last week. I had 2 bottles of wine, 2 apples, 2 bananas, 2 pears and 2 of other fruits. 2 cupcakes, 2 bottles of orange juice, 2 packets of crisps and a bottle of lube.

The way I put them on the belt was like they were all going on Noahs ark, and then the lube trailing along paddy last.

Everyone took a double take, the cashier started laughing and my sister said 'at least its not singular items and lube'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Mother pushing trolley packed with 5 bottles of Country Spring soft drinks, frozen chips, fish fingers, chicken nuggets, spice burgers, several multi-packs of cheap crisps, lots of chocolate, bisuits etc. No fresh food, fruit or veg.

Assumption: Her children are, or will soon be, obese. Sometimes the children are with her and my assumption is correct.

bubblypop wrote: »
    he had the usual boy toilet things, linx shower gel, deodarant, and shave gel.
    he then had parmessan cheese.
    broccoli
    spinach
    eggs.

i totally made an assumption about him!
    he looked in his 30's

do u make assumptions based on grocery shopping ahead of you on belt?

Any man in his 30's who uses Lynx is definitely single.

I do this a lot. I long for something different - an elderly couple with multiple packs of lube and six organic cucumbers, or a priest with thirty eight bottles of vodka and eighteen variety packs of condoms, but usually people buy what they look like they should be buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

MadsL wrote: »
    Women.

Ice-cream
    Wine
    Chocolate
    Kleenex

I'm assuming chickflick night.

Great call bro!

I know a girl who was approached by a man in the supermarket who told her that she should have meat in her trolley that it wasn't healthy not to have meat. She told him promptly that she wouldn't give her family shyte supermarket meat and only goes to get butcher for it. He didn't know what up say. Eejit.

I am guilty of rolling my eyes when I see an family with overweight kids buying pizzas and bags of frozen chicken nuggets. Does my head in tbh. Don't think that's the same thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Lots of sweeties
    Lots of biscuits
    Lot of ice cream
    Ice cream
    3 x large bottles of coke
    Bag of mars bars
    Multiple bags of crisps
    Frozen Chips
    Pizza
    Chicken nuggets
    Big bottle of cooking oil
    Glue
    Tin foil
    Kitchen knife

Probably from Glasgow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rope, gloves, shovel

999!

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Lots of sweeties
    Lots of biscuits
    Lot of ice cream
    Ice cream
    3 x large bottles of coke
    Bag of mars bars
    Multiple bags of crisps
    Frozen Chips
    Pizza
    Chicken nuggets
    Big bottle of cooking oil
    Glue
    Tin foil
    Kitchen knife

Probably from Glasgow

Only if it's lidl you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Candie wrote: »
    I do this a lot. I long for something different - an elderly couple with multiple packs of lube and six organic cucumbers, or a priest with thirty eight bottles of vodka and eighteen variety packs of condoms, but usually people buy what they look like they should be buying.
    Where do you shop???? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

I am guilty of rolling my eyes when I see an family with overweight kids buying pizzas and bags of frozen chicken nuggets. Does my head in tbh. Don't think that's the same thing though.

On that point I think there is a lot to be sais for the art of family cooking, you know buying raw ingredients and turning them into a meal.
    Not only is it healthier, but it also teaches an appreciation of food, and can be a very social experience.
    In that respect we could learn from the Mediterranean countries and their food and family culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Nabber wrote: »
    When I go shopping with the wife I always mess. One of the things I always do is grab 3 boxes of condoms and bury them in other peoples shopping. Its great when you see them up a the till.

Even funnier when you throw them into a man's trolley with tampons. Cue hilarity at the till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

at lidl checkout

gloves
    shovel
    rope
    night vision goggles
    vodka

serial killer.

Where do you shop???? :D

Ah that's what I want to see. Sadly, it never happens :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

I see it often in the supermarket near where I live - frozen pizzas. crisps, chocolate, microwave dinners, cans of beer. Then I look up and see a haggard looking overweight 35 year old woman who looks 50, wearing a badly fitting unclean tracksuit. Then she asks for 20 John Player blue.

And fair play to her, she can do whatever she wants.

On that point I think there is a lot to be sais for the art of family cooking, you know buying raw ingredients and turning them into a meal.
    Not only is it healthier, but it also teaches an appreciation of food, and can be a very social experience.
    In that respect we could learn from the Mediterranean countries and their food and family culture.

I don't really understand why people buy processed food. It's muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

My last aldi shop was bog roll, ice cream, grapes, ham, and a bonzai tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I see it often in the supermarket near where I live - frozen pizzas. crisps, chocolate, microwave dinners, cans of beer. Then I look up and see a haggard looking overweight 35 year old woman who looks 50, wearing a badly fitting unclean tracksuit. Then she asks for 20 John Player blue.

And fair play to her, she can do whatever she wants.

Hey, leave JPB out of this!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I don't really understand why people buy processed food. It's muck.

It's cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

People have a right auld gawk into your basket/trolley here in Madrid and make no bones about it! Not subtle in the slightest! This gives me permission to do the same. There were 3 black African men dressed in traditional [insert African country here] gettup with 3 trolley loads full of Capri Sun in the supermarket yesterday. You'd wonder what 's going on there, wouldn't you?

Advertisement