Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile phone & data package

Options
  • 17-07-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I will be spending 17 days in Ireland. In the area of Kerry, Galway and Dublin.

I am thinking of getting a local SIM card. Wonder which company would you recommend? Who has the best coverage in this area? I will need data packages as well.

Also, when i make a mobile call from Kerry to Galway/Dublin, is it considered outstation call?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Kerry, Galway and Dublin is a wide net, and I can't say that one provider will be better than all others in all 3 locations .... but, as a lifelong O2 user, I have spent time in all 3 areas and have had no trouble with coverage (unless I was in a cave, or deep in a concrete basement car-park). I suspect all major providers (Vodaphone, Eircom, 3, Meteor) will cover all those areas.

A Pre-Pay plan is the way to go, that way you are not commited to a contract (if they even give you one, as you are a visitor).

As for O2, they have a plan at the moment, where you credit €20 (per month) to your balance, and they take €10 and give you free phone calls to all networks and landlines. You then get an option to 'buy' 250 text messages for €5 (taken off your remaining balance). So, for €20 you can get free calls and 250 free texts and still have €5 left over ..... not bad! O2 do have a Data plan for €20 a month, but I dont use it, so I dont have specific details. Check out their site => http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/plans/prepay.php

If you make a call from your mobile to another mobile (regardless of the location of you or the receiver) you will be charged a mobile-to-mobile rate (its one rate if its from your network to the same network and a different rate if its from your network to a different network),
    If you make a call from your mobile to a land-line (ie a phone in Kerry, Galway , Dublin etc) you will be charged a 3rd rate (ie mobile-to-landline), regardless if you are in the county you are calling or not.

So, keep an eye out for special packages and plans, as they all offer something for free , and charge for something else.

Lastly, depending on where you are coming from, I would reccomend you go with the local version of your own provider, if possible. IE if you are with Vodaphone in UK, then get a pay-as-you-go sim from Vodaphone here, so you can avoid (un)locking issues.

PS hope you enjoy your stay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Niabail

Thanks for the detailed info, RiderOnTheStorm. I am now down to O2 and TESCO (someone from another forum suggested this). O2 may be available at Cork Airport I suppose...
    You have a good weekend!

Advertisement