Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls [HBO - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This is one of the best comedy shows I've seen.

Lena Dunham is an extremely talented writer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I didn't realize until I did some reading around a bit that the actors who play Hannah's three best friends are all the children of parents of varying degrees of fame.

Zosia Mamet (Shoshanna) is the daughter of David Mamet, playwright and director.

Allison Williams (Marnie) is the daughter of Brian Williams, NBC news anchor.

And Jemima Kirke (Jessa) is the daughter of Simon Kirke, who was the drummer with both Bad Company and Free.

I'm sure that they all got their jobs on talent and good auditions - and they're universally excellent in the show - but I wonder if it also gives them that self-absorbed bohemian edge that fans see as authentic and detractors see as grating.

Zosia (which I have also learned is pronounced 'Zo-sha') Mamet probably got it right when she said that your early 20s are a time of self-absorption and figuring out who you are, so it's not so much privileged brats as a universal naval-gazing time.

I suspect Dunham's is simply writing from what she knows. Her parents are a photographer and a painter, so she's just creating from her own Greenwich Village type upbringing. Out of that falls the rather precious characters and the subsequent casting. I also think she knew a few of them socially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I haven't been able to watch this since Hannah
    burst her ear drum on purpose with the q-tip
    , it still makes me feel ill just thinking about, bit of a weak stomach here. Can anyone tell me if, since that episode, anything else like that has happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I haven't been able to watch this since Hannah
    burst her ear drum on purpose with the q-tip
    , it still makes me feel ill just thinking about, bit of a weak stomach here. Can anyone tell me if, since that episode, anything else like that has happened?

It sounds like you're talking about the ninth episode of season 2 - 'On All Fours'. That was the one that caused all the trouble with Adam's, ahem, money shot.

You should grab the season finale, the tenth episode (S02E10 if you're looking for it), as it's more about relationships - a break up, a couple of make-ups. It also sets the scene for season 3, so it's a useful one to have season for followin the next season. And I'm almost sure there are no q-tips in the season finale.

Season 3 will have 12 episodes. Season 2 had 10 and ran January to April. So expect Season 3 to premiere either November/December this year or January next year. December is a lousy to time to bring back a show - ratings are way down in December - so perhaps it's more likely another January start for season 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How is this thread so inactive? Is anybody even watching the show? It's hitting the quarter mark of its third season yet the Banshee thread somehow has around the same amount of posts.

The backend of season 2 and the first few episodes of this season have been top notch stuff. A 12 episode season is exactly what the show needed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm enjoying it myself, apart from Shoshanna suddenly becoming brain-dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Really enjoying season 3 so far. Adams sister was/is a great character :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I feel like Lena Dunham has gotten slightly depressing this 3rd season and her acting and intelligence are suffering from it. The lines are just slower and delivered with less of a punch its like she's not carrying the scenes as well. I notice in an interview she just sounded altogether less charming + articulate than the first interviews re the show. Maybe its a sign she's getting older/taking too many drugs who knows but either way I hoped this show wouldn't fizzle out too fast because when it was good it was good!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They've made the Adam character far too nice this season. I don't trust it at all.

• Advertisement

They've made the Adam character far too nice this season. I don't trust it at all.

Ya it doesn't suit him. And trying to make Hannah too cold. It should be the other way round where Hannah gets burned like how it would probably be in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

arf91 wrote: »
    Ya it doesn't suit him. And trying to make Hannah too cold. It should be the other way round where Hannah gets burned like how it would probably be in real life.

Would it? No girls are self-centred egotists?
    She is also a writer/artist in the making so they are usually self-centred anyway.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Would it? No girls are self-centred egotists?
    She is also a writer/artist in the making so they are usually self-centred anyway.

Yes they are and I know plenty but in terms of these two personalities he seems more emotionally shut down to me.

Another cracker of an episode although it probably could have benefited from focusing solely on Hannahs storyline. Possibly it's funniest episode so far and just as dark if not darker than always.

The show has been incredibly consistent so far this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭MacBoogerBalls

Ouch...
    Season Finale ends on a bit of a downer for all the Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Ouch...
    Season Finale ends on a bit of a downer for all the Girls.
    I thought the very last scene kind of had it go out on a positive note.

It's not often we see Hannah be honestly proud of herself and have a reason to be, not just posturing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I thought it was a really good ending. For the first time in the 3 seasons, the characters are taking responsibility for their actions rather blame others as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Season 3 was the best season so far, loved the last scene with Hannah smiling with the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Very watchable show.

Hopefully this is the season Hannah attempts to go on a diet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

K4t wrote: »
    Very watchable show.

Hopefully this is the season Hannah attempts to go on a diet.

Is this still going? Didn't the main actress wright a book in which she confessed to sexually abusing her underage sister when she was younger?

I though hbo would pull the series

• Advertisement

macyard wrote: »
    Is this still going? Didn't the main actress wright a book in which she confessed to sexually abusing her underage sister when she was younger?
    Nah, she was only 7 and simply examined her sister's genitals who was 1 at the time. It's normal enough behaviour.
    They probably gave her a raise. Season 4 started on sky atlantic recently. Hannah is in grad school in Iowa being strong-willed, witty and fat.

Nah, she was only 7 and simply examined her sister's genitals who was 1 at the time. It's normal enough behaviour.

They probably gave her a raise. Season 4 started on sky atlantic recently. Hannah is in grad school in Iowa being strong-willed, witty and fat.

If it was a boy examing his sister would it be ok? What about giving her candy for kisses like adults do.

It was all very creep and predatory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No she wrote a book and parts were taken very dramatically out of context and people on the internet who did not read the book thought she had. You'd have to be a bit twisted to read the book and come away going yeah that's abuse though .

I don't like the seriss at all.

If it was a boy examing his sister would it be ok?
    Of course. Why not? As I said, it's normal behaviour for siblings of that age and most psychologists/psychiatrists will back me up on this.
    What about giving her candy for kisses like adults do.
    She was 7 and it was her baby sister.
    No, it wasn't. That you would view it as being any of those things says more about your own insecurities.

Of course. Why not? As I said, it's normal behaviour for siblings of that age and most psychologists/psychiatrists will back me up on this.
    She was 7 and it was her baby sister.

No, it wasn't. That you would view it as being any of those things says more about your own insecurities.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/lena-dunham-describes-sexually-abusing-her-toddler-sister

Masterbating beside her, candy for prolonged kisses, spreading open her sisters vagina. This is from her own book.

This is not normal behaviour.

I am glad my siblings where not like her anyway it would have scared me for life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If it was a boy examing his sister would it be ok? What about giving her candy for kisses like adults do.

A boy of seven being curious about genitals, totally normal.
    To be clear there was no mention of "kisses like adults do". Her sister was not affectionate, not the baby she dreamed would be her adoring little sister. She gave her sweets in exchange for baby kisses, she was only 6 years older than the sister.The younger child was 4 when Lena was 10, the bribing for kisses or for playing games went on when the youngest child was a toddler.

That people made something sexual of the innocents actions of a child less than 10 is a scary reflection on humankind. I realise you didn't read the book and you're reacting to hearsay so I don't mean you, but it is disturbing how this story ever took wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Did she or didn't she spread open her sister's vagina? That to me, is where things get a little hairy.

Ugh, already nearly as many posts about Dunhams book as there was during the entire third season.

I really enjoyed the first episode of season 4 but thought the second episode was one of the weakest of the entire series.

Andrew Rannells being upgraded to a series regular gets a massive thumbs up from me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I actually really enjoyed her book, and the honesty and humour with which she expresses herself, both on paper and on screen (although I did find Tiny Furniture a bit dull and self consciously artsy). The sister thing is a total storm in a teacup. The 'Barry' thing was more worrying to me, but I think she has to share responsibility at least equally with the publisher for not fact checking and making it clear that it was a pseudonym.

I'm liking the new season although I wonder how they're going to keep the story lines going between New York and Iowa. I felt like Jessa's story is just sort of tacked on. Loved the jazz brunch scene in the first episode, and Hannah's interactions with her new classmates- they had that trademark Girls cringe factor.

• Advertisement

Did she or didn't she spread open her sister's vagina?
    Did a 7 year old girl spread open her 1 year old sister's vagina? I'm struggling to understand why any stranger would want to know the answer to that question.
    That to me, is where things get a little hairy.
    Don't be ridiculous, neither of them had reached the age of puberty.

Advertisement