Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls [HBO - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I loved last night's episode. So many great lines and Laird (or is she just saying Leonard a bit strangely?) is easily my favourite new character.

"Look at the doll!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

Any one see that latest episode
    where Hanna meets the doctor
    ?

I found that a very uncomfortable half hour of television altogether. I know she is trying to shake up the genre and all but basically it was the whole half hour in the same setting basically almost like one long scene with very little comic relief. no pacing at all to it. She should have saved them moments for a movie or something. Also i found it very hard to suspend disbelief on that one.

Also she seems to be neglecting some of the storylines that do have potential. She seems to have thrown the ex bf under the bus completely without warning, did something happen there where he got sacked off the show or something?
    I always had this show down for a few laughs and a breath of fresh air but the second season has really not lived up to the first at all imo.

it seems she's so determined to be unique that she'll snuff out a decent storyline just for the sake of it so the audience can't ever guess where things are going, which couples are gonns stick together etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Well it is all about her!!

I thought it was so blatant, so unrealistic.
    She's the writer so why not write an episode where she gets to screw the 'perfect' guy in a 'perfect' house. The relationship could never about to anything so she has to f it up.

Back to some sort of form this week thank god!!

Yer man Adam makes such a difference when he's in it, great character & fantastic actor too. Great dynamic between him & Ray too. For a female writer she's quite good at drawing male characters, between her writing & the acting at least.

Never quite buy into Marnie's storylines & i think the actress doesn't quite fit in with this cast, it's like she belongs on more standard polished TV like CSI or something.. but still it's passable. It's like the executives told Lena, "sure you can have a show, but you must put a couple of these standard professional actors in(marnie & her ex-bf). Maybe she's just not meant to be all that likeable & the fact i don't like her shows she's doing it right..

anyhow more Jessa, Shoshona, Adam & Ray please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just caught up with this show over the past week or so and really enjoying it... mostly because of the supporting characters...

Shoshanna and Ray are my favourites - the show definitely needs more and more of them...
    Hannah herself can be quite grating, but I think the rest of them make up for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Didn't see the first season, but quite enjoying season 2. However the last one I saw was ep.5, which I thought was very poor, humourless, far too much of Hannah. in fact the episode made clear what an annoying, neurotic person she is, and how the show is much better the less she is in it.

And while the intellectual, ethical part of me thinks it is a good thing that someone who is not traditionally attractive is not shy about us seeing her naked, and we have a show that is happy to show us bodies of people that are not models, another part of me is saying, "Please put your clothes back on now, we get the idea.":)

(and is it just me or does Hannah have the most spectacularly awful taste in clothes, and tends to wear things that accentuate her lack of physical grace)
    (Also, what is it with her and all these good looking guys? It's kind of hard to believe that she manages to hook up with guys you would imagine dating models.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I watch it to see Lena Dunham shagging....she is oddly compelling in a gross kinda way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

fisgon wrote: »
    Didn't see the first season, but quite enjoying season 2. However the last one I saw was ep.5, which I thought was very poor, humourless, far too much of Hannah. in fact the episode made clear what an annoying, neurotic person she is, and how the show is much better the less she is in it.

And while the intellectual, ethical part of me thinks it is a good thing that someone who is not traditionally attractive is not shy about us seeing her naked, and we have a show that is happy to show us bodies of people that are not models, another part of me is saying, "Please put your clothes back on now, we get the idea.":)

(and is it just me or does Hannah have the most spectacularly awful taste in clothes, and tends to wear things that accentuate her lack of physical grace)
    (Also, what is it with her and all these good looking guys? It's kind of hard to believe that she manages to hook up with guys you would imagine dating models.)

Makes perfect sense imo....in my circle of friends we had that same kinda girl...plain jane type who would hook up with each one of the lads for sex....but they would never date her, or admit to shagging her to the other hotter girls in the circle.

But all the lads would talk about her....she was the go to girl when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Makes perfect sense imo....in my circle of friends we had that same kinda girl...plain jane type who would hook up with each one of the lads for sex....but they would never date her, or admit to shagging her to the other hotter girls in the circle.

Or perhaps it's just the same as any other show when guys get hot girls who would be out of their league if the character was real and not a fictional TV character?

The guy Adam isn't just using her for a shag. They have chemistry going on based on how out there their personalities are, I find it believable. Who is to say a guy like him(who is in great shape) wouldn't get sick of hot personality-less girls throwing themselves at him like pink robots & then suddenly connect with this nutty one who comes along & the banter flows & in bed u find the kinks match etc..

As for the other guys, the ex-junky downstairs she went home with at the end of a late night is obviously believable, the black republican probably less so but once again, intellectual banter shared etc.. the hometown pharmacist guy; again slightly against the grain but if he's supposed to have known her from school it's not such a leap to believe he might have thought 'there's something about that girl'

It's mainly that one guy from that super slow episode that was completely unbelievable, he had his sh*t completely together, lovely house, job etc.. either he was gonna turn out to be American Psycho, or Hannah was gonna wake up and realise she was dreaming. It's like Lena Dunham just put her fantasy world down on paper. Put simply it sounds believable: recent divorcee rebounds with first girl to throw herself at him.. but the way it was done, him so perfect, her practically moved in to the new house & the new life, sipping coffee on the patio, as if.

It was actually an interesting concept from Dunham.. to give to the character(& herself) everything she could have ever wanted and dreamed of & more, have her make a little speech about how she never thought she deserved to have all her dreams come true & then for the guy to wrinkle his face & be like "dont be silly ya mad thing, this is a fling, know your role in it or gtfo"

But the way she fitted it in to this show was just a no go, Girls is about jumping from one couple to the next, one storyline to the next to keep the pacing & the laughs up. Especially as the episode began with a recap of previous, all the characters' twists & then it goes on to dwell on one single Hannah storyline all played out in one single setting. In a slower paced movie or a short film it might have worked but thrown into this show it was just weird.

lenaep10AliPaigeGoldstein232226--415x415.jpghannahul.jpg
    good >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> awful('that' episode)

As for Hannah's dress sense, for the most part she does well enough to give herself her own sense of Identity, she is never gonna be the type of girl to shop high street & follow the rules like on 'what not to wear'. But in that episode again it was probably the worst i have seen it. It's like she wanted to make herself look as bad as possible to contrast with the guy.. & then you know she's been hanging about in that same thing all weekend.. eww.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

But in that episode again it was probably the worst i have seen it. It's like she wanted to make herself look as bad as possible to contrast with the guy.. & then you know she's been hanging about in that same thing all weekend.. eww.

Yeah, that thing. Does that garment even have a name? A bizarre kind of polyester shorts/blouse combo that couldn't have made her look any worse. Maybe it was some kind of hipster statement, or a rebellion against traditional aesthetics. Whatever, truly hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

But the way she fitted it in to this show was just a no go, Girls is about jumping from one couple to the next, one storyline to the next to keep the pacing & the laughs up. Especially as the episode began with a recap of previous, all the characters' twists & then it goes on to dwell on one single Hannah storyline all played out in one single setting. In a slower paced movie or a short film it might have worked but thrown into this show it was just weird.
    What? Who are you to say what Girls is about and what's a no go? Surely Dunham herself is the one who dictates this and you as a viewer either enjoy it or you don't.

Personally, I thought that episode was fantastic and something that sets Girls even further aside from the cookie cutter broadcast TV shows we usually get.

I hope she continues to make ballsy moves like that even if it alienates a select few.

I'm actually quite surprised this weeks episode wasn't similarly unique. It kind of set itself up (given the episode title and the opening scenes) that the entire episode was solely going to deal with Adam and Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Starting to get a bit disappointed of the show the last two episodes were a bit a weird but I suppose last nights wasn't any different to previous episodes but starting to drag out a bit with little meaning in the stories not knowing where they are going with it.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What? Who are you to say what Girls is about and what's a no go? Surely Dunham herself is the one who dictates this and you as a viewer either enjoy it or you don't.

Personally, I thought that episode was fantastic and something that sets Girls even further aside from the cookie cutter broadcast TV shows we usually get.

I hope she continues to make ballsy moves like that even if it alienates a select few.

I'm actually quite surprised this weeks episode wasn't similarly unique. It kind of set itself up (given the episode title and the opening scenes) that the entire episode was solely going to deal with Adam and Ray.

Give over, i'm just giving my opinion as a fan of the show from the start. I have a right to say what I thought of the episode & why, that's why there's forums & discussion boards.

If you felt differently about the episode then fair enough say so & why too. I'm not dictating anything to Lena, I too hope she continues to make daring & ballsy moves even if I feel some of them fall flat on their face, cos for the most part i feel she is a breath of fresh air in a world of formulaic tv.

If i had come on here and given a throw-away one liner saying 'boring show' or 'don't get this comedy' you or no-one else would say anything to me but because I go in to a bit of detail you feel the need to challenge me directly, "who are you to...", I'm a fan & tv viewer, & forum commenter that's who I am.

Who are you to challenge my right to have an opinion??? If you have another one then fair enough counter it with your own reasons, but play the ball not the man please.

Ya was a bit weird with just hannah and the doctor and ray in it and no other character in it. If she did one solo the others should as well a bit like the way they did skins and another show like it. Where they focus on one character for the episode but still include the other characters but in a way they are all telling a story she should stick with it.

Bit unusual with the whole ray and adam scenes but I suppose it worked it lead a conclusion for ray.

doovdela wrote: »
    Ya was a bit weird with just hannah and the doctor and ray in it and no other character in it. If she did one solo the others should as well a bit like the way they did skins and another show like it. Where they focus on one character for the episode but still include the other characters but in a way they are all telling a story she should stick with it.

It reminded me of when Breaking Bad did the "fly" episode all set in the basemant lab, but i felt that worked a bit better personally 'cos it conveyed a sense of claustrophobia that got across how Walter & Jessse themselves must've been experiencing things. In this show it just felt out of kilter(to me at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Loreida

I'm loving Ray recently. This weeks episode was so perfectly self-indulgent. The table tennis scene was just....wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It reminded me of when Breaking Bad did the "fly" episode all set in the basemant lab, but i felt that worked a bit better personally 'cos it conveyed a sense of claustrophobia that got across how Walter & Jessse themselves must've been experiencing things. In this show it just felt out of kilter(to me at least).

Bottle Episodes are sometimes written out of necessity to bring the budget down. One location, only a few cast members. Quicker and cheaper to shoot.

Bottle Episodes are sometimes written out of necessity to bring the budget down. One location, only a few cast members. Quicker and cheaper to shoot.

interesting, never knew there was a name for it, good to know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_episode

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

interesting, never knew there was a name for it, good to know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_episode

You should watch "Community", it teaches you all sorts of useful things like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I've watched this show since episode 1. Something in the writing and acting really appeals to me. I find Hannah very eccentric, quirky and very real. Not without her insecurities (relationships/professional) she is still so confident in her self.

Her whole relationship with Adam is very believable one that a lot of women can identify with.
    I liked the episode with the doctor and I disagree with a lot of the critique of it being a self-indulgent move on Dunham's part. I didn't think it needed other characters. It was believable for me. While not conventionally good-looking, there is something very appealing about the character that I think many men find curious and intriguing (they probably won't admit to it).

Dunham's choice in wardrobe and her body being constantly on display is very deliberate yet very admirable. Here she is, imperfect but unapologetic in her imperfections. She's not exactly a beached whale but we're all thinking cover yourself up woman!
    Dunham is very clever to expose herself as it provokes and courts controversy and critique. Many 20 somethings can identify in her relationships and friendships.

Supporting cast are excellent! Jenna is perfect. I hope for more Adam, Ray, Shoshanna and co. I can take or leave Marnie (although she serves her own purpose).

Overall I'm compelled by the show. I think there's plenty of scope for characters to develop.

How many episodes left this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I'm still on the fence with this show, and I've watched it since the beginning. On the one hand I find it really intriguing and entertaining, on the other I find it sometimes seedy and uncomfortable to watch. I just don't know yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Lena Dunham posted on her Instagram a picture of her with the caption of growing my hair for season 3 so I guessed there is a 3 rd season happening. But I can't see why there won't be with it being one of the most talked about shows in the us at the moment.

If you watch interviews of Lena she stresses she wants to make the show real. That women can be bitchy and insecure about themselves. Something that most shows avoid. Also on the hbo YouTube account she explains each episode and the story around it. Such as in the warehouse party in brooklyn in season 1 was based on a friend that smoked Crack.

It's such a good show as it tries to be honest. That really not everyone in NYC is living it up in a massive apartment over looking central park for a few thousand dollars a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

The interwebs is lit up at the moment - particularly American media outlets - about that scene in S02E09.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. It fits in with what we know from Adam in season one. He seems disgusted with himself and intent on proving the disgust to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Well, it was pretty uncomfortable to watch but I didn't imagine it would generate such controversy. I saw it as him trying to sabotage the relationship because he likes Natalia but knows that they aren't quite "right" for each other. Like, when she sees his apartment and says something like "it's so much darker than you are". It's not. It actually matches his personality well but he's been giving her the sanitised version of himself.

I was more squeamish about Hannah and the q-tips. *shudder*

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Well, it was pretty uncomfortable to watch but I didn't imagine it would generate such controversy. I saw it as him trying to sabotage the relationship because he likes Natalia but knows that they aren't quite "right" for each other. Like, when she sees his apartment and says something like "it's so much darker than you are". It's not. It actually matches his personality well but he's been giving her the sanitised version of himself.

I was more squeamish about Hannah and the q-tips. *shudder*

Adam's always been into control and degradation scenarios - he was acting out milder versions with Hannah in season one. And the man's a compulsive onanist.

Wikipedia calls it 'sexual assault' on its episode synopsis, and it's that issue of consensuality that's caused so much talk. I saw it as Natalia reluctant but consensual. She looked at him as if to say "Get it over, freak."

Part of it's to do with Adam falling off the wagon at the party. It's his dark side emerging, fuelled by alcohol and roiling emotions about Hannah.

But it's not just Adam's theme. Dunham has played out sexual failure (and to a lesser extent, humiliation) as part of the twenty-something experience.

There are imperfect bodies and imperfect sex abounding.

Adam's at the far end of that sexual confusion spectrum, seeing sex and his sexuality as innately dirty and bad.

I was slowly getting disappointed by the show but has picked up a bit again. Last two episodes were good. There is just one more episode in this second series I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baretree

I thought ep 10 of season 2 completely made up for what I felt most of this season lacked. Still wished there'd been more of Shoshanna. An outstanding actor.

Adam wipes the floor with all of them. The series would be so much less without him, he's gold dust. A joy to watch - am grateful for his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Christopher Abbott aka Charlie has left the show after a bust up with Lena apparently :eek:

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Christopher Abbott aka Charlie has left the show after a bust up with Lena apparently :eek:

I wonder if Christopher Abbott fancies himself as a bankable mainstream star in the Shia Labeouf mode. If looks were all it was about, then Rob Lowe would be playing Nucky in Boardwalk Empire.

Sad to see any of the original cast leave, but out of all them, I'd miss Abbott the least. He must have known butting heads with Dunham was going to have only one possible outcome.

On the other hand, Shoshanna (Zosia Mamet), the future Mrs. Soup, must be under no circumstances be let go. Never. Ever.

Advertisement