Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will RTE1+1 become available to Sky customers at some stage?

Options
  • 31-07-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

Does anyone know if RTE1+1 will be made available to Sky customers at some stage?

Thanks,

Mrs D :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Guys,

Does anyone know if RTE1+1 will be made available to Sky customers at some stage?

Thanks,

maybe when saorsat is up and running not before sky will be come the second cousin of saorsat and dtt

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

It's on Magnet so was hoping it would be on sky also

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

As per the Broadcasting Act 2009 RTÉ must offer its channels/services to other platforms Sky, UPC etc., it'll be their decision to carry them.

RTÉ said in a consultation last year its channels/services would be offered to all digital platforms following a short technical and market testing period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

The real reason why RTE are holding back on offering the extra Saorview channels is that they specifically want to give the Saorview and Saorsat platforms "a head start" over Sky, UPC and any other platform. This is technically illegal under European Law.

I would not expect to see these extra channels outside of RTE's own platforms for a year if RTE continue to get their way on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So I take it they should be offering the few RTE2 HD broadcasts on other platforms too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

rlogue wrote: »
    This is technically illegal under European Law.

Why then are they not being sued? Are Magnet an RTÉ platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually it's up to Sky. Sky will only include anything extra if they feel they need to from point of view of sales. Hence so long to add extra BBC channels to Irish EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

rlogue wrote: »
    The real reason why RTE are holding back on offering the extra Saorview channels is that they specifically want to give the Saorview and Saorsat platforms "a head start" over Sky, UPC and any other platform. This is technically illegal under European Law.

I would not expect to see these extra channels outside of RTE's own platforms for a year if RTE continue to get their way on this.
    RTÉ is only on sky to begin with because it was isolating a large proportion of sky's potential subscriber base by RTÉ not being there.

RTÉ are not "holding anything back". It's very much an "it's there if you want it" situation for all content.

Both Sky and UPC could easily take the content if they wanted - but they don't, primarily because:
    (a) these channels are not in full time operation yet
    (b) content is lacking/missing due to rights issues at present

Example, RTÉ had a preliminary build of Aertel Digital which went out on the initial DCMNR DTT trials in 2007, including a build on the OpenTV middleware platform.
    Sky weren't interested.
    UPC's platform was undergoing standardisation to OpenTV so weren't in a position to take it - they had been running a mish-mash of various releases of OpenTV and Liberate middleware.

There will be a full port of Aertel Digital on SaorView to OpenTV this summer alongside continued extensive work on the backend operation of Aertel Digital - it's then entirely up to Sky and UPC as to whether they wish to carry it alongside EBU text.

The content can be delivered as XML and pushed over HTTP to be encoded remotely, or can be encoded on site and the TS delivered out over ASI.

Easy to deliver out from RTÉ, easy to receive in from RTÉ.

It doesn't make financial sense for RTÉ to withhold any content.
    SaorView doesn't (and won't) make a cent in revenue, it's not a commercial platform, they have nothing really to gain by giving it some sort of advantage. Analogue has to go by end-2012, there is no choice - SaorView ultimately will be a success by virtue of the fact it will be the only method of receiving RTÉ via an aerial or without paying a subscription.

By withholding content or maintaining "exclusivity", the only thing they are doing is isolating a large proportion of their advertising audience who view on the other platforms. Not something I think RTÉ want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MrSneeg

Kensington wrote: »
    RTÉ is only on sky to begin with because it was isolating a large proportion of sky's potential subscriber base by RTÉ not being there.

RTÉ are not "holding anything back". It's very much an "it's there if you want it" situation for all content.

Both Sky and UPC could easily take the content if they wanted - but they don't, primarily because:
    (a) these channels are not in full time operation yet
    (b) content is lacking/missing due to rights issues at present

Example, RTÉ had a preliminary build of Aertel Digital which went out on the initial DCMNR DTT trials in 2007, including a build on the OpenTV middleware platform.
    Sky weren't interested.
    UPC's platform was undergoing standardisation to OpenTV so weren't in a position to take it - they had been running a mish-mash of various releases of OpenTV and Liberate middleware.

There will be a full port of Aertel Digital on SaorView to OpenTV this summer alongside continued extensive work on the backend operation of Aertel Digital - it's then entirely up to Sky and UPC as to whether they wish to carry it alongside EBU text.

The content can be delivered as XML and pushed over HTTP to be encoded remotely, or can be encoded on site and the TS delivered out over ASI.

Easy to deliver out from RTÉ, easy to receive in from RTÉ.

It doesn't make financial sense for RTÉ to withhold any content.
    SaorView doesn't (and won't) make a cent in revenue, it's not a commercial platform, they have nothing really to gain by giving it some sort of advantage. Analogue has to go by end-2012, there is no choice - SaorView ultimately will be a success by virtue of the fact it will be the only method of receiving RTÉ via an aerial or without paying a subscription.

By withholding content or maintaining "exclusivity", the only thing they are doing is isolating a large proportion of their advertising audience who view on the other platforms. Not something I think RTÉ want...

if thats the case why is 'Real Digital' having trouble with RTE carriage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

MrSneeg wrote: »
    if thats the case why is 'Real Digital' having trouble with RTE carriage?

Not fully up on the situation regards Real, so maybe someone can detail those?

I can see where problems might arise, in that:
    - Real will need to lease an (expensive!) wideband transponder as there are none left on the narrowbeam 2D craft
    - Sky may not be willing to open their 2D uplink to a competitor
    - RTE will need to be encrypted at all times, even more importantly if they are on a wideband TP so a good CA system is required
    - Who pays for all of these costs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Real Digital

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

It would be nice if RTE2HD was on Sky so I could record it, my TV can pick up the digital channels via an outdoor ariel but I can't record them. I think Sky should put them on their platform. Can you imagine the outcry in the UK if some BBC channels weren't on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭is maith liom chocolate

If Sky did carry them, they could decide to push them way down the bottom of the entertainment channels, far away from the regular RTÉ1 and 2. They took ages to move 3e up beside TV3. I guess it wouldn't matter though, it would just be highly annoying. Hopefully they will become available soon. I would also love if they had RTÉ News Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ForumManiac

If Sky did carry them, they could decide to push them way down the bottom of the entertainment channels, far away from the regular RTÉ1 and 2. They took ages to move 3e up beside TV3. I guess it wouldn't matter though, it would just be highly annoying. Hopefully they will become available soon. I would also love if they had RTÉ News Now.
    Yeah it would definitely be placed waaaayyyyy down the bottom of the entertainment section at like 231 or so :rolleyes:.
    And as for Rte News Now...lets not go there. Its hardly even a news channel, waste of money IMO, just reruns of the news and Primetime etc, it needs to seriously be brought back to the drawing board....and I couldn't see Sky (Canis Media) giving their last EPG slot in the News section (Channel 519) to Rte News Now. Lol.
    I would love if Rte2 HD launched. I would say that is something which Sky/RTE would be interested in doing. I'm not to bothered about RTE 1 +1, some programmes can't be broadcasted on it, as well as it only broadcasting in the evening. :rolleyes: And RTE news now...I just can't see that launching on or even qualifying to be allowed to broadcast on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Guys,

Thanks,

RTE Nl are primarily responsible for the rollout of Free to Air digital Tv in Ireland and not boosting Mr Murdochs profits.

You do not need to pay Sky to receive these channels. They are FREE to air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Sky UPC and indeed Real Digital are obliged under the Broadcasting Act not to charge the Irish broadcasters to carry their content but in return the Irish broadcasters must offer their channels to the satellite and cable platforms wishing to operate in Ireland. It's not up to RTE to withold some or all of their channels to anyone who wishes to legally rebroadcast those channels.

A key point is that RTE can get on with rolling out DTT and Saorsat and the commercial platforms should carry whatever Irish channels they wish WITHOUT COST to RTE, TV3 and TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Hi not sure if this is the best place to post or if I should start a new thread, but Ive got RTE on Sky but not RTE1+1 so I was wondering if it ever became available and if so where I could find it (what channel number)?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

No it never launched on Sky and RTE News Now is not on Sky either

brick man wrote: »
    No it never launched on Sky and RTE News Now is not on Sky either

Right, thanks for that info, brick man. I suspected as much but wasn't entirely sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Most Sky customers can get RTE 1+1 and RTE News Now quite easily. Just install a UHF aerial and attach it to their Saorview TV or STB. 98% of Irish viewers can get it by doing this.

I]And they can save their subscription to Sky if free to air channels is enough for them[/I.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Antenna

Most Sky customers can get RTE 1+1 and RTE News Now quite easily. Just install a UHF aerial and attach it to their Saorview TV or STB.

I would say you are incorrect using the word most.

Most TV sets I see currently purely used with Sky for TV reception would still be non-Saorview capable, they would have to also purchase a STB or change the TV as well as install an aerial.
    Just install a UHF aerial and attach it to their Saorview TV or STB.

or STB ? I can't imagine that anyone would already own a STB and not use it at all up until your post? you surely meant to say 'or purchase a STB'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Antenna wrote: »

..... you surely meant to say 'or purchase a STB'

Well, yes. But I also wanted to say -- and get rid of Sky.

Unless you want to watch paid for sport, then watching Sky is an expensive way of watching a few per cent of your total viewing. Also, most people watch 'the best of what is on' so if you have 1 channel you watch that, with 7 channels, (Saorview), you watch the best of what is on, but if you have 57 channels then you flick through them all and find there is nothing on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... Also, most people watch 'the best of what is on' so if you have 1 channel you watch that, with 7 channels, (Saorview), you watch the best of what is on, but if you have 57 channels then you flick through them all and find there is nothing on.

That doesn't make any sense. What's stopping you finding 'the best of what is on' in your 57 channels? And why the need to flick when you have an EPG?

I take it you're trying to make some point about 'the illusion of choice' or something but I think I'd have more chance of finding something to watch on my 57 channels. I wouldn't settle for 'the best of what is on': if there's nothing that interests me, I just turn the TV off & find something else to do.

Thurston? wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense. What's stopping you finding 'the best of what is on' in your 57 channels? And why the need to flick when you have an EPG?

I take it you're trying to make some point about 'the illusion of choice' or something but I think I'd have more chance of finding something to watch on my 57 channels. I wouldn't settle for 'the best of what is on': if there's nothing that interests me, I just turn the TV off & find something else to do.

Obviously not a Bruce Springsteen fan. www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc

If you have lots of channels, then flicking through them gets you to different points of the programme - some will be near the start and some near the middle and some near the end. Most, it would seem, will be on an ad break. So if the programme is not great then I tend to flick at an ad break only to find most of the other channels are on an ad break as well.

The point about the 57 channels is that it is impossible to search 57 programmes on an EPG but not so hard when there are only seven.

Just a point that more channels does not necessarily give you a better TV experience. If that is so, why pay loads of dosh for more of the same rubbish?

Obviously not a Bruce Springsteen fan. www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc

If you have lots of channels, then flicking through them gets you to different points of the programme - some will be near the start and some near the middle and some near the end. Most, it would seem, will be on an ad break. So if the programme is not great then I tend to flick at an ad break only to find most of the other channels are on an ad break as well.

The point about the 57 channels is that it is impossible to search 57 programmes on an EPG but not so hard when there are only seven.

Just a point that more channels does not necessarily give you a better TV experience. If that is so, why pay loads of dosh for more of the same rubbish?

No, I agree completely, but I can't get decent RTE reception without satellite. I don't think we can legally get Saorview outside the republic of Ireland, can we?

Mind you, I'd actually consider Saorview "illicitly" if I thought it could be set up easily. Presumably it's only the Irish stations, isn't it? Does it provide access to the BBC or is that separate? There are just a few stations I really like, such as BBC4, and would no longer want to do without. How could I manage without Spiral or Montalbano? ;)

Just a point that more channels does not necessarily give you a better TV experience.

No problem to me scrolling down through the EPG, its not like I have to stop & look at the info. on every programme. Then of course there are EPG categories & favourites lists.

Anyway, I'm sure you're aware there are free channels worth having in addition to what's on Saorview, & I presume your point is in relation to subscription channels on top of those again.

volchitsa wrote: »
    No, I agree completely, but I can't get decent RTE reception without satellite. I don't think we can legally get Saorview outside the republic of Ireland, can we?

You can legally get Saorview anywhere you can pick up the signal from the terrestrial transmitters. It's widely available in Northern Ireland. (Where are you located?)
    Presumably it's only the Irish stations, isn't it? Does it provide access to the BBC or is that separate? There are just a few stations I really like, such as BBC4, and would no longer want to do without. How could I manage without Spiral or Montalbano? ;)

Saorview is just the Irish channels, now including UTV Ireland. If you're in range of a UK terrestrial transmitter, you will also receive Freeview services on a box that works with Saorview.

There are also combi receivers with both terrestrial & satellite tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Does it provide access to the BBC or is that separate? There are just a few stations I really like, such as BBC4, and would no longer want to do without. How could I manage without Spiral or Montalbano? ;)
    If you currently have Sky, you have a dish capable of getting all the BBCs, ITVs etc legally for free. Take the card out of your Sky box and see what's left.

Anyway, I'm sure you're aware there are free channels worth having in addition to what's on Saorview, & I presume your point is in relation to subscription channels on top of those again.

I am aware that 97% of what people actually watch is available via Saorview and FTA/Freesat without subscription. If you take out the channels they watch as a last resort, there may be a higher percentage. That is unless they are a sports fan when money does not matter if you want to see your team play. Even then many will watch sports in which they have no interest because they happen to be on.

All of Saorview should be on UPC and Sky as they should be forced to take all or none.

• Advertisement

If you're in range of a UK terrestrial transmitter, you will also receive Freeview services on a box that works with Saorview.
    We are, but only just. Terrestrial reception was acceptable until they started shutting off the relay aerials as digital service was being rolled out (Channel Islands). Mind you I didn't get RTE back then either, so Sky was a luxury we got ourselves partly because it gave us access to RTE, which normal digital service didn't (or that's what I was led to believe at the time! I have my doubts now! :)

Advertisement