Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goberment forcing people into hunger!!

• 12-09-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/tobacco-tax-forcing-low-income-people-to-go-without-food-1.1525108

Repeated tax increases on cigarettes and tobacco are forcing people to go without food in order to have money to satisfy their addiction rather than deterring smoking, the Joint Oireachtas Finance Committee has heard.
    During a discussion of pre-budget submissions with a range of health interest groups, Labour TD Kevin Humphreys said the rise in the price of cigarettes in shops was forcing people to either buy smuggled or counterfeit products or go without essential items.

Give em chewing tobacco, problem solved!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Jesus wept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Surely it's "Government forcing people to make choices - people fail"?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Smoking really is win-win for Government: lots of revenue from smoking throughout their working life and they don't last long on retirement! No pension and relatively little burden on the HSE through protracted illness.

Smoking represses my appetite, so I'll be ok anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Increasing the price does deter smoking ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

'Merica

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Let them eat B&H.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

frag420 wrote: »
    ...Labour TD Kevin Humphreys said the rise in the price of cigarettes in shops was forcing people to either buy smuggled or counterfeit products or go without essential items.

Well if you are a person who makes the decision to have cigarettes over food or other essential items then you deserve everything you get imo.

If you can afford cigarettes, power to ya, go ahead and smoke til your lungs turn black. If you can't afford to smoke...maybe you shouldn't smoke.

EDIT: Willing to bet Labour TD Kevin Humphreys is a smoker himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Durin Labour TD Kevin Humphreys said the rise in the price of cigarettes in shops was forcing people to either buy smuggled or counterfeit products or go without essential items.

The standard of some of the people we elect to our national parliament is truly depressing sometimes. It's an idiocy that spans the political divide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/tobacco-tax-forcing-low-income-people-to-go-without-food-1.1525108

Repeated tax increases on cigarettes and tobacco are forcing people to go without food in order to have money to satisfy their addiction rather than deterring smoking, the Joint Oireachtas Finance Committee has heard.
    During a discussion of pre-budget submissions with a range of health interest groups, Labour TD Kevin Humphreys said the rise in the price of cigarettes in shops was forcing people to either buy smuggled or counterfeit products or go without essential items.

Someone obviously does not know the meaning of the word "forced!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

smash wrote: »
    Increasing the price does deter smoking ffs!

hasnt deterred me or anyone i know. we just complain about it a lot for a few weeks and then get on with enjoying that sweet tasty nicotine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Would they try to eat the arse off a low flying duck?

If not, they aren't hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Whats next fat people saying there been forced to diet because the cost of junk food has gone up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Grand..us smokers will pack it in tomorrow and all buy chewing gum.... then what?
    Good luck to any health service for all you healthy folk. We smokers die early and fund your geriatric care. Actually the taxes we pay fund a hell of a lot more than that (Education, Social Welfare, Roads, Mortgage Rescues for the bubblebrained) but we'll axe old folks first.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

hasnt deterred me or anyone i know. we just complain about it a lot for a few weeks and then get on with enjoying that sweet tasty nicotine.
    It would deter most sane people from starting and it is a big incentive to quit when you realise that a 20-a-day smoker is spending about €3,500 p/a, which is only going to increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Gatling wrote: »
    Whats next fat people saying there been forced to diet because the cost of junk food has gone up

Smokers are easy targets as well it's bad for you (yes i smoke) you cant complain about fat people as apparently it's not a lifestyle choice. Reminds me of the large women with 3 large kids in McDonalds feeding her large 1 year old ish baby in a high chair fries. But that's ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tomacco is the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

So by having drugs illegal we are forcing junkies to commit illegal acts which may be harmful to them. Therefor all drugs should be legal. Am I doing this right?

It would deter most sane people from starting

Not when you can buy a pack of 200 on the street for next to nothing.

I wouldnt have thought sane people would need a price hike not to start. Anyone that smokes is nuts, myself included!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not when you can buy a pack of 200 on the street for next to nothing.

I wouldnt have thought sane people would need a price hike not to start. Anyone that smokes is nut, myself included!

Add the thought of you've no idea what could be in the cheap pack of 200's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm certainly happy to pay more taxes so that this terrible austeriddee can be reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

So by having drugs illegal we are forcing junkies to commit illegal acts which may be harmful to them. Therefor all drugs should be legal. Am I doing this right?

No one mentioned Illegal drugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I had to read the opening post a few times to see if I could understand. Labour TD Kevin Humphreys doesn't make sense. How did he get elected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

No one mentioned Illegal drugs

No but Im using the same logic as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Grand..us smokers will pack it in tomorrow and all buy chewing gum.... then what?
    Good luck to any health service for all you healthy folk. We smokers die early and fund your geriatric care. Actually the taxes we pay fund a hell of a lot more than that (Education, Social Welfare, Roads, Mortgage Rescues for the bubblebrained) but we'll axe old folks first.

Are there any stats that actually show that the revenue raised on cigarettes covers the costs related to smoking?

iirc, 2 billion is raised per year. Something like the High Tech Drug Scheme alone costs the state close to 500 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You sir, have won todays internet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How is it a choice? It's a case of "do as I say or I'll make you!"

People want to stop other people from making the choice to smoke or not by making it more and more difficult to make the choice that they want. It's the exact opposite of giving people a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything.

Does Kevin Humphreys believe this drivel? How the pigshít can anybody use this as an argument?

If people are that stupid to go hungry or have a fag then let them go hungry. Feckin' eejits.

How many gobshítes are not eating because of their smoking habits. The fact that this argument was put forward annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ScumLord wrote: »

People want to stop other people from making the choice to smoke or not by making it more and more difficult to make the choice that they want. It's the exact opposite of giving people a choice.

It takes very little brain power to see that smoking is bad. Same fcukers can't afford healthcare and end up getting that paid for anyway... They can't have it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

No but Im using the same logic as they are.

(deterrent) forces (poor decision)

I propose we name it Humphreys' Law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

If dey don't reduce the price of de fags soon, there'll be people dyin of de hunger on de side of de road, just like in de famine times. Hav mercy on dem, Mr Noonan.

diomed wrote: »
    I had to read the opening post a few times to see if I could understand. Labour TD Kevin Humphreys doesn't make sense. How did he get elected?
    The voters have a similar IQ to his.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

"Goberment forcing people into hunger!!"

FFS the spelling on Afters Hours just gets worser and worser. :mad:

Its Gubberment OP.

Get it together man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Well this thread is retarded.

If people want to choose cigarettes over food then that's fine.

It might knock the population down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

People know that addiction isn't about smart vs stupid, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ScumLord wrote: »

All choices have costs. In this case, people had a choice, heavily incentivised, to give up smoking or not be able to afford food. It's like having the answers circled on the test paper and still getting it wrong, proving some people shouldn't be allowed leave the house without a helmet and a babysitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Are there any stats that actually show that the revenue raised on cigarettes covers the costs related to smoking?

iirc, 2 billion is raised per year. Something like the High Tech Drug Scheme alone costs the state close to 500 million.

Thanks, we'll use your figures...the HTDS is gone. Now for the other 75% ...now that we're no longer smoking - what do you suggest goes next.

banquo wrote: »

Just stop smoking, it isn't heroin despite the nonsense that people come out with, you won't be violently ill and suffer all manner of aches pains and severe physical symptons. There won't be hallucinations etc.

Stop sticking them in yer gob and lighting them. You'll be narky for a few weeks but it will pass. FFS. No time for that nonsense, I quit myself a few years ago. When people ask how, I tell them I wanted to so I stopped smoking cigarettes. Simple as that.

It very much is about smart vs stupid when it comes down someone on lets say 30k a year spending 10%+ of their income (a lot more actually when you factor in their tax out of the 30k) on slowly killing themselves.

Poor smokers. Boo hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Let them eat cake. Everyone likes cake!

It would be impossible to estimate how much any particular environmental factor costs the state. Sometimes people pluck figures out of the air but that is all it is; a wild guess. There are so many factors involved in illness/health/life expectancy that it is absurd trying to isolate any particular one and put a cost on it.
    It is a strange-but-true fact that countries with the lowest smoking rates in the world also have the lowest life expectancy, e.g. Sub-Saharan Africa and India. The smoking rates have declined in Ireland from about 40% 25 years ago to 22% today. Yet the cost of the health service has trebled in that time.
    What does all this prove? Absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It would deter most sane people from starting and it is a big incentive to quit when you realise that a 20-a-day smoker is spending about €3,500 p/a, which is only going to increase.

Or you could spend 500 of that on a couple of trips a year to other EU states, legally stock up on cheaper cigarettes and save 50 per cent compared to the Irish price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I am pie wrote: »
    Just stop smoking, it isn't heroin despite the nonsense that people come out with, you won't be violently ill and suffer all manner of aches pains and severe physical symptons. There won't be hallucinations etc.

Stop sticking them in yer gob and lighting them. You'll be narky for a few weeks but it will pass. FFS. No time for that nonsense, I quit myself a few years ago. When people ask how, I tell them I wanted to so I stopped smoking cigarettes. Simple as that.

It very much is about smart vs stupid when it comes down someone on lets say 30k a year spending 10%+ of their income (a lot more actually when you factor in their tax out of the 30k) on slowly killing themselves.

Poor smokers. Boo hoo.

Nothing worse than a preachy, smug ex-smoker. If giving up was that easy, everyone would do it.

As an ex smoker myself, I can kind of understand where Humphrey's coming from. For many people on low incomes, cigarettes are one of the only pleasures they get in life. It may not make sense to a non-smoker, but smoking is a stress reliever, a comfort of sorts. I know of people who have gone without dinner in order to buy a packet of cigarettes. It may seem stupid and selfish to others, but to the smoker, it's a crutch they feel they just couldn't do without.

Poor smokers. Boo hoo.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All choices have costs. In this case, people had a choice, heavily incentivised,
    The same way the mob give people the "option" of paying protection money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

banquo wrote: »

Maybe but nothing beats being up on the high horse when it comes to smokers for some.

Poor smokers. Boo hoo.
    Nothing beats the judgemental attitude and preachiness of an ex smoker. And I've never smoked!
    Or you could spend 500 of that on a couple of trips a year to other EU states, legally stock up on cheaper cigarettes and save 50 per cent compared to the Irish price.
    And contribute zero to the exchequer :rolleyes: Government shooting themselves in the foot but hey the high prices allow the health zealots get on the high horse and rant like above a bit more when people say "Maybe they cost a bit too much?" I know many who haven't bought cigarettes with Irish duty in years opting for friends to bring home some for them and buy them themselves while abroad.

Boo hoo.

Just.stop.smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Lapin wrote: »
    "Goberment forcing people into hunger!!"

FFS the spelling on Afters Hours just gets worser and worser. :mad:

Its Gubberment OP.

Get it together man.

Nah! It's definitely Gob- erment.:P:D
    All they ever do is mouth off!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Nothing worse than a preachy, smug ex-smoker. If giving up was that easy, everyone would do it.

As an ex smoker myself, I can kind of understand where Humphrey's coming from. For many people on low incomes, cigarettes are one of the only pleasures they get in life. It may not make sense to a non-smoker, but smoking is a stress reliever, a comfort of sorts. I know of people who have gone without dinner in order to buy a packet of cigarettes. It may seem stupid and selfish to others, but to the smoker, it's a crutch they feel they just couldn't do without.

Theres none so pure as a reformed hoor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Boo hoo.

Just.stop.smoking.
    Theres none so pure as a reformed hoor

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Shocking i know, at this rate ill have to buy a smaller car, buy my clothes in Tesco instead of Penney's and give up buttered popcorn all to keep up my coke habit!

If you choose fags over food well best of luck. Obviously the smoke has killed some brain cells!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Darwinism at its best

• Advertisement
Advertisement