Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute for Tomato

Options
  • 26-01-2016 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭

A few months back I realized that I may have an aversion to tomatoes of all feicing things!!! I wouldn't mind but I've always adored tomato since a child. I remember having Tomato Soup, another thing which I adore :( and I was violently sick after it! I presumed it was just the Bread-rolls with Bread tending to make people sick these days and I didn't think any more of it.

Then another day I had a Pizza, (I don't eat Pizzas much at all, but am a big fan of Snack-food type stuff, like I love Toasted-Sandwiches, I love Soup. Savoury/snack stuff if that would be the right word more-so than sweet? And so I would devour a gorgeous fresh lovely tasty thick-crust on a Pizza more-so than the Pizza itself hah!!) So, I ate some Pizza, and I've never felt as sick in my life that day. :/

And then it twigged, that there might be a common denominator between Tomato-Soup and Pizza. Aaaaand my googling informed me it could be tomatoes! :/ As it turns out, I'm un-well at the moment, my current status is non-diagnosed "suggestive-of-Fibromyalgia." My good friend Google tells me people with Fibro can't tolerate "night-vegetables" or something?!? And apparently tomatoes is a "night-vegetable." So, this is probably bloody why tomato makes me sick!!

And so this brings me to my question! I know there's loads of choices of soups I can have without tomato. But, some pizza would be nice an odd time now and again! So, my question is, is there any substitute I could use for tomato in a pizza if I'm making one that anyone can think of?!?

It's probably a stupid question considering tomato pretty-much makes a pizza like!! But, I just said I'd ask if anyone can think of anything. Zero tomato at all. I love chicken, pineapple, sweetcorn, mushrooms etc., your standard toppings in a pizza. But if ya think of tomato in a pizza there is a helluva lot!! A couple of Layers of it in a juicy/saucy mess lol, soooo I would need something majorly saucy/juicy in the base etc?!? I was thinking of maybe trying something with apple-sauce in the base?!? Or maybe I could make up some kind of gloopy pineapple-y purée for a bottom layer or something.... I dunno..... Any ideas?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

BBQ pizza. Not a fan of Bbq sauce meself, but if you don't like tomatoes...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Roasted pepper puree, might work, I dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Roast pepper is a good idea!
    You could also try a sort of onion jam or compote. Just very thinly slice lots of onions and slowly fry them in olive oil and/or butter, stirring regularly for about half an hour until you have a sort of thick onion paste. Season well and spread on your pizza.

I don't think your fruit ideas would be very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Nightshades is the term you're thinking of. It includes potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, aubergines and goji berries. You may need to avoid them all for a bit until your system recovers. In terms of pizza, the beer rev's caramelised onion base is good or a mushroom and garlic duxelle. Now you know the right terminology though, google is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Tamayto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Are you sure it's tomato?

Could it be another ingredient which is usually found in tomato sauce like garlic or basil?

Could you experiment and try to rule out each ingredient one by one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

OP my young fella has a bad reaction to tomato but loves pizza, so I sympathise !.

As nkav86 mentioned, roasted red pepper is what we use with a splash of white wine vinegar (tiny tiny splash) and he's fine with that. Just make sure its not the acidic nature of the tomato that causing you a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is nightshade vegetables as mentioned, I tried to give them up for about a year to see if it made a difference. Tomato is in loads of stuff.
    wonski wrote: »
    All BBQ sauces I saw were mainly made up of tomato sauce. Brown sauce too. There was a tesco finest brown sauce with no tomato but it is not stocked anymore, in mine anyway.
    It's probably a stupid question considering tomato pretty-much makes a pizza like!
    I used to think the same, but I actually did not miss it much at all. I was craving pizza so just ordered one with no tomato sauce. I honestly barely noticed it missing, just like I would not put tomato sauce on cheese on toast. They also seemed to put on more cheese so there were no bare bits on the pizza.

There are mock tomato suaces you can buy or make which are free of nightshades. There is a range called nomato, I never tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Thanks for all suggestions folks. Anything roasted is usually goodn'tasty, I'm liking those ideas cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think pesto was used before tomato sauce was around, tomato sauce is cheaper.. pesto can be a bit oily , there are a good few " white pizza" reciepes,
    I could see a good roast vegetable based sauce being a good substitute,
    Good luck....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I will look up White Pizza Recipes Mark Thanks.

Rubadub what was pizza without tomato like?! Was it not really dry and choke-inducing with no tomato at all like?? Or was it okay on its own with just a crust/base and the toppings?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,058 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

wonski wrote: »

Main ingredient in BBQ sauce is usually tomatoes.
    nkav86 wrote: »
    Roasted pepper puree, might work, I dunno!

If it is an aversion to nightshades, then peppers and chillis are out too.
    Potatoes and eggplant are also nightshades.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Get yourself allergy tested! Allergies can be dangerous, and are often misdiagnosed, caution is needed with something that can kill you. If you think it's tomatoes and it's something else, for example, you could end up in trouble.

Be careful though, there are a lot of scammers out there: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Get yourself allergy tested! Allergies can be dangerous, and are often misdiagnosed, caution is needed with something that can kill you. If you think it's tomatoes and it's something else, for example, you could end up in trouble.

Be careful though, there are a lot of scammers out there: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rubadub what was pizza without tomato like?! Was it not really dry and choke-inducing with no tomato at all like?? Or was it okay on its own with just a crust/base and the toppings?
    sorry for the delay! it was fine, as I said, like toasted cheese on toast. I am back eating tomatoes etc and not finding any bad effects, but I was still actually thinking of asking for a pizza with no tomato sauce again from the takeaway as I did really like it. I do not like when you take a bite and loads of the topping and filling slips off due to the wet tomato sauce. When there is no sauce the cheese sticks properly to the base and all the toppings too. With fatty cheese it is not dry at all.
    Mellor wrote: »
    If it is an aversion to nightshades, then peppers and chillis are out too.
    Potatoes and eggplant are also nightshades.
    I was off potatoes and tomatoes, these are usually eaten in quite large amounts. I was still eating chilli, going for hotter ones as I was ingesting only tiny amounts so was not that concerned. Saw it the same as stealing a sly chip now and then, which I did. I had also read that very well cooked nightshades may have less effect than raw or say boiled ones.

Advertisement