Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two bookings for one night...

• 28-03-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Well folks,

I'll try and keep this as short as I can - I'm in a band who play covers in pubs in our general area. I have had a booking for a particular pub on a busy night - but now have been asked to play in another venue.

Before anyone bites back here about loyalty to the venue which booked us first, I'm honest and loyal to anyone who gave us a chance, and I've never cancelled on anyone when this situation occurred before. However, the man in charge of the place we've been booked; is a complete and utter BLANK. The money we get for the great music we provide (if I may say so myself), is a joke. And we've been gradually bullied over time into playing 3 hours instead of the standard 2 hours or so. We hate playing there, we bust our balls playing a great set to an unappreciative crowd, and leave (very late at night) with money that doesn't reflect the effort and time we put in. In contrast, we've never had a bad gig in the other place - you know those gigs where you feel on top of the world when your finished? that's what this place has been like every time. Great music loving clientèle, respectful bar owner/staff, and last but not least, decent money.

As I said before - if it was about money, I would stay true to my word and play the pub that booked us first, simple as. Now though, I just feel like it's time to pull the plug on this guy...anyone been in this situation before?

...so much for keeping the message short!! Hopefully some of you seasoned pros out there will give your 'two cents' on this. Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jump ship.

But be prepared to never get booked in the old place ever again, especially if you're doing this at short notice.

Is there anyway at all you can get another night at the new place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bambalam

Cheers for quick response AnonoBoy! We have a few more bookings with this guy thru summer, but as you say, I know they aint coming if I cancel this one. That doesn't really bother me - all the lads absolutely dread going there. My only real problem is just making that call and dealing with the consequences! And I just don't feel good about cancelling on someone, regardless of the circumstances.

We could (and probably will) get other gigs in the new place - but I'm just at a crossroads with it all. We've already decided to turn down any further bookings for the sh1t place, but I'm just wondering whether we'd be better pulling out now - especially when it's clashing with other, more favourable gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

go for the better gig man! 3 hour set? feck that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

Well, if you need a band to cover one of the gigs, send it my direction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

In any business the market dictates.

• Advertisement

Think I'm getting a consistent response on this, which was the answer I wanted to hear! Having slept on it, I still wanna cancel and take the other one. Cheers folks.

Cordragza - wouldn't send you to this place if you were my worst enemy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

You don't have to tell him you have a gig in the other place.

Just cancel the next gig, play in the rival place and then pull the rest of the gigs later.

You could strike a deal with the other place for regular gigs if you 'dump' this first place! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bored reader

Hi Bam,
    Go forth and multiply.
    Loyalty in the music and vintners industry dosen't go together.
    To let the guys in the sh@t pub down gently i would suggest you take up the other band's offer and get them to cover it and say that the new better venue have offered a price you cannot refuse. Give them the poor mouth story and it will let the sh't venue know that u have bigger fish to fry.
    You will probably gain some respect from the sh@t venue in soing this.
    They will understand that you are a band that are going somewhere and are actually wanted outside of his bar. you DONT want to be playing this venue for eternity as from experience this will break you eventually

Rgds

BR

Thanks for the pointers lads, I somehow managed to sort it. Still can't believe it worked without a falling out.

I was thinking on things I could...well, lie about! I was thinking on taking tightropetom's approach - but because of my area, people know what you had for breakfast, 'nosy' would be an understatement. This guy would definitely find out about the other gig. So I just called and said - sorry, but I'm going to have to cancel on you, we got offered gig for more money and it's closer to home. I don't feel good about doing it, but this is my income and I can't afford to turn it down.'...he was alright about it. It's been a positive, I've learned a big lesson which bored reader summed up more eloquently than I ever could. "Loyalty in the music and vintners industry dosen't go together."

Thanks again lads :)

Advertisement