Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aliens have landed.....

• 16-03-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

And can travel back in time to show people the creation of our solar system.

How do you think the religious would react?

Personally, I think they will spin it somehow- like declaring that the old testament is just a fable.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'd be more interested to see what would happen if you travelled back in time and showed (a) what Jesus was actually like and what he actually talked about, particularly hearing his reaction to the religious movements which have acquired the marketing rights to his name and (b) that he didn't resurrect himself from the dead.

Fingers in ears though, I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

robindch wrote: »
    I'd be more interested to see what would happen if you travelled back in time and showed (a) what Jesus was actually like and what he actually talked about, particularly hearing his reaction to the religious movements which have acquired the marketing rights to his name and (b) that he didn't resurrect himself from the dead.

Wouldn't that be like travelling back in time to find out what the flintstones were like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »

I'd like to see US fundies' reactions to the fact that he was a short, swarthy, Arab jew rather than the 6'5" Aryan they like to portray him as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a Satanic illusion, sent to test the resolve of one's faith.

Proper hardcore believers will never accept any amount of evidence to the contrary. To them, the actual belief is less important than the emotional investment they've put in, and the surity they have. Cognitive biases take care of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭Penn

God sent the aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Liamario wrote: »
    And can travel back in time to show people the creation of our solar system.

How do you think the religious would react?

It's not an alien, it's Jesus, returned as promised, in his spaceship, to show everyone how his Dad invented the solar system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I'd expect someone to take the view that belief is more important than fact to its logical conclusion, that it is okay to change the past if it encourages belief. You would probably have teams of magicians making Jesus's miracles look very real, hell while they are at it they might even jazz them up a bit. Think Moses coming down the mountain with the commandments on tablets that are so imbued with gods power that they glow so as to be visible at both day and night and words that move and change of their own accord, aka an iPad running a powerpoint presentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

God sent them either to test their faith (like the snake ) or to confirm their beliefs or the old testament was never ment to be taken literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Depends what you mean by 'the religious' really, id say 90 percent plus of christians know that the 6 day creation is not meant to be taken literally, i'd be more interested to see how we'd react to just your normal extra-terrestrial visitor, not time-travelling one

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Beruthiel wrote: »
    It's not an alien, it's Jesus, returned as promised, in his spaceship, to show everyone how his Dad invented the solar system.

It's just like Chris de Burgh said :eek::pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

Liamario wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be like travelling back in time to find out what the flintstones were like?

It depends. Some atheists believe Jesus did exist, but didn't have many of the powers he is described to have had, more he was a charismatic leader, akin to some cult leaders of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Barr125 wrote: »
    It depends. Some atheists believe Jesus did exist, but didn't have many of the powers he is described to have had, more he was a charismatic leader, akin to some cult leaders of today.
    Jesus was an apocalyptic Jew from the first century who fervently believed that the world was about to end over nineteen centuries ago. He was wrong.

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/jesus.html

Jesus was the Bronze Age version of Harold Camping. That's why he didn't value worldly possessions. He thought the world was going to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

"To actually understand what the alien really meant when he said that you'd have to go back to the original untranslated script and you'll have to understand the idioms of their culture and stuff. When he said there was no god he actually meant no sky, which is a metaphor for how there is no limit to how close we can become to god."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Whatever the religious response, I believe the alien counter response would be [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/16986/196687.jpg[/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Beruthiel wrote: »

Wait, I thought that they were one of the same.
    Now I'm really confused.

Advertisement