Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Reference from last Employer

Options
  • 01-09-2015 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

What can be done if your last principal is giving you a bad reference? Will you ever find out what is being said?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

keoclassic wrote: »
    What can be done if your last principal is giving you a bad reference? Will you ever find out what is being said?
    Get a friend ring them as a 'principle' and ask for a reference. You will have an answer.

Preferably from a non-local school!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Galloglass

I was under the impression that a "bad" reference was illegal.....Employers can only refuse to give a reference. May be wrong. Why not just ASK for a reference...See what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Galloglass wrote: »
    I was under the impression that a "bad" reference was illegal.....Employers can only refuse to give a reference. May be wrong. Why not just ASK for a reference...See what you get.

A bad reference is legal, IF it's factual and can be proven to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A bad reference is legal, IF it's factual and can be proven to be so.

It's legal, but may potentially leave the referee exposed.

Your good reference these days is "<insert name> worked at <insert institution> from <start date> to <end date>. They were not fired"

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Galloglass wrote: »

I have no problem with it being a factual reference, my main concern lies with the personal opinion, and as we all know that counts for a huge amount. I don't think the principal was fond of my character, and I think that the issue lies around that fact.I did not like said principal as a person and said principal did not like me as a person.Having done a large number of interviews this year and not getting a job I am quite wary of the reference that's being given.

• Advertisement

TonyStark wrote: »
    Get a friend ring them as a 'principle' and ask for a reference. You will have an answer.

Preferably from a non-local school!

I'm wary also of going down this road, I have always been straight in my dealings with people and I expect the same! But I suppose people will not tell you out what they are saying about you and that in itself tells me as much as I need to know about their character!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

One of the most common misconceptions out there is that it is illegal to give a bad reference. Not idea where it stems from. Do people think it is considered defamation of character or something. Baffles me how people, believe things like this without questioning it.

What is a bad reference anyway? To give one example. Say, the role he is going for is big on round table discussions and likes, everyone to really dig in, and contribute ideas: his manager might be ask, if the OP contributed a lot of the ideas.
    Not everyone in a group is necessary comfortable doing this, but maybe the op, is going at gleaming additional information from his team mate when he think a strong idea has been suggested. If the right questioned are not asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You're only surmising you are getting a bad reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I don't think it's common for principals to give 'bad' references. They tend to be more professional about it and their opinion of the teacher can be expressed clearly in what's left out, rather than what's referred to.

OP, you should just ask for a written reference from the principal; then you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

Some principals call before an interview and some after, so it won't have affected all of your applications. You are also entitled to feedback on an interview; there is no harm on asking if your references were checked, and if so, if they were positive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

keoclassic wrote: »

Principals talk to each other at various meetings and functions. So I would not worry or focus on the reference to much, they will either want you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Agree with the above, we talk at meetings and ring each other. Don't bother with the friend ringing, if its bad we will ring the school number back.....

TheDriver wrote: »
    Agree with the above, we talk at meetings and ring each other. Don't bother with the friend ringing, if its bad we will ring the school number back.....

Ya.....I know that's what happens,but I can't say I have much time for the behind your back approach of it.either way I got a written reference from him.....but it's a bit hungry looking to say the least.

Advertisement