Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Of Duty has annoyed the Muslims now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Didn't that single player mission garner huge controversy at the time though?

The story reads like Activision making the call after having it pointed out to them rather than because of pressure from muslims. If they want to self-censor to avoid controversy that's their prerogative, but it does seem at odds with their willingness to court it at release. (Although I suppose, near release it's cheap marketing, years later it's a distraction from this years installment.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Sycopat wrote: »
    Didn't that single player mission garner huge controversy at the time though?

Different level and is actually a single player mission rather than the online map that's been pulled - the level your on about an undercover CIA man went into a Russian airport and you basically had to mow down every single innocent civilian in the place, you were allowed to skip it if you felt you would be offended by it, that had to be added to keep the easily offended at bay.

For what it's worth and anyone that might have an interest as to the reason for it - the Russian guys knew they were infiltrated so they shot the American guy in cold blood at the end of the level so one American guy was found dead hence it was an American attack and Russia could then start a war.

The Favela map that is after been pulled is actually a map set in Brazil so why the Mohamed pictures were there in that map though is questionable. Still though - Muslims are far far far too easily offended by stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Rheo

Why would anyone play COD when they could be playing Team Fortress 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Different level and is actually a single player mission rather than the online map that's been pulled

Cheers, but I am aware of all that. The OP refers to the No Russian level in his post, hence my reference to it. :)

I agree that some muslims are far too easily offended by this sort of thing, but this reads more like Activision deciding to self-censor more than caving to muslim outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

they should have put a pic of Pope JPII in the jacks as well, every house in Ireland had one of them at some stage :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

krudler wrote: »
    they should have put a pic of Pope JPII in the jacks as well, every house in Ireland had one of them at some stage :pac:

Usually located next to the photo of JFK.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Insane. They are entitled to be offended, but that's as far as it goes. Activision are worse for even acknowledging them. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Liamario wrote: »
    Insane. They are entitled to be offended, but that's as far as it goes. Activision are worse for even acknowledging them. Unreal.

Indeed, if people stopped encouraging their insane behaviour and outrage they'd be better off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

one of the maps has a painting with something about Muhammad being good on it, only its in part of the map that has a bathroom in it, and this is really offensive apparently. cos paintings in the bathroom is way more offensive than casually mowing down civilians in the airport like one of the single player missions.

This reminded me of a scene from Curb your Enthusiasm. Larry was using the bathroom of a devout Christian and one of those paintings of Mary was hanging over the toilet..... He splashed on Mary. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Corkfeen wrote: »
    This reminded me of a scene from Curb your Enthusiasm. Larry was using the bathroom of a devout Christian and one of those paintings of Mary was hanging over the toilet..... He splashed on Mary. :pac:

...or when he ate Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

one of the maps has a painting with something about Muhammad being good on it, only its in part of the map that has a bathroom in it, and this is really offensive apparently.
    Are you sure it wasn't because there was a woman in the bathroom brushing her teeth in her pajamas?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Does TF2 have Burka's now? It's a sort of hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Remember when the trailer from Resident Evil 5 was released and had to be pulled and redone because there was outrage that the game, set in Africa, was racist because it depicted black people as zombies.... Pain in my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm surprised no-one's suggested that the Taliban might be Battlefield fanboys. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm surprised no-one's suggested that the Taliban might be Battlefield fanboys. :pac:

Sure weren't they a playable MP faction in the Medal of Honor reboot? Probably will be in the upcoming sequel too, not that anyone cares about MoH anymore.

Advertisement