Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop the planet, I want to get off

Options
  • 03-08-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Feeling a little depressed lately. Sparked mainly by this whole Chick-fil-a thing.
    I'm not gay myself, but I just feel so angry and depressed by the fact that this kind of ignorant bigotry continues in 2012.

The planet is an amazing and beautiful place and there is so much things to learn and broaden our minds with, but at the same time; I feel like I don't want to be apart of this society, as it's not fixable.

Does anyone else ever get days where they are so pissed off at the ignorant and the **** that goes on on this planet in the name of *insert chosen deity here*.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,290 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pretty much any time I read the Hazards of Belief or Ongoing Religious Scandals threads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Liamario wrote: »
    Feeling a little depressed lately. Sparked mainly by this whole Chick-fil-a thing.
    I'm not gay myself, but I just feel so angry and depressed by the fact that this kind of ignorant bigotry continues in 2012.

The planet is an amazing and beautiful place and there is so much things to learn and broaden our minds with, but at the same time; I feel like I don't want to be apart of this society, as it's not fixable.

Does anyone else ever get days where they are so pissed off at the ignorant and the **** that goes on on this planet in the name of *insert chosen deity here*.

Life is better now for gay people than it has ever been during the history of the human race. Just to put things in perspective.

Also Chick-Fil-A are a hair's breadth above irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, I kinda get those days too, but in this debate? Jon Stewart says it best. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'm at a stage now, where I'd welcome some sort of apocalypse or for Aliens to come down and take me away from it.

Life is too short and all signs point that we don't get another crack of the whip; so to spend your time hating other people who have done nothing to justify the hate, frustrates me.

Believe what you want, but don't force other people to believe the same- especially if your belief has been shown to be a load of baseless nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Yeah there's so much to share in this world but some religious types are so concerned with ensuring their eternal salvation (and yours whether you want it or not) they make life here unbearable for so many. If you have a problem with the way someone else lives their life and it has no bearing or impact on yours then why try to interfere? Look to yourself first before you try and project your faults onto others is a great human concept preached in Catholicism (my understanding of 'let ye without sin cast the first stone') yet rarely implemented by their proponents when it comes to sex and sexuality. What's the bizarre fascination with what goes on behind bedroom (or any other) doors? Are their own lives so boring they get some sort of vicarious thrill from knowing what goes on in other peoples?

As annoyed as I get when I realize there's still a lot of backward attitudes left, the generations coming after us are so much more open minded and tolerant it's a breath of fresh air. Talking to a lot of younger people around tells me that religion is being seen as it should, a private affair for private individuals to look after. A quote I've heard regarding religion illustrates my views on it perfectly - religion is like your penis, keep it out of my face and stop trying to force it down the throats of our children :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I'm at a stage now, where I'd welcome some sort of apocalypse or for Aliens to come down and take me away from it.

Life is too short and all signs point that we don't get another crack of the whip; so to spend your time hating other people who have done nothing to justify the hate, frustrates me.

Believe what you want, but don't force other people to believe the same- especially if your belief has been shown to be a load of baseless nonsense.

Why are you surprised? The world can be kind and beautiful, it can also be hard and unrelenting. You can blame religion or anything else you want but the world is full of people, blame people then for it. Take a step back and don't let yourself get so emotional over such things, there are many many things worse and more important in the world then the Chick-Fil-a story. I don't think you would last long living on a dollar a day as over 1 billion people in the world do.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

jank wrote: »
    Why are you surprised? The world can be kind and beautiful, it can also be hard and unrelenting. You can blame religion or anything else you want but the world is full of people, blame people then for it. Take a step back and don't let yourself get so emotional over such things, there are many many things worse and more important in the world the the Chick-Fil-a story. I don't think you would last long living on a dollar a day as over 1 billion people in the world do.

There is a lot wrong in the world but if our attitude is "sure thats life" then nothing will change. It is important to fight injustices so we can make the world a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

America really depresses me. It has so many intelligent people, so much money, technology and power, and yet there is such a disparity between rich and poor, and they are so held back by religion. I hear things like this current equality arguement and I wonder how the hells this is even a thing. How are people in one of the world's most privileged countries arguing against everyone having the same rights, national healthcare, religious freedom (including freedom from religion)? It's depressing and scary.

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    There is a lot wrong in the world but if our attitude is "sure thats life" then nothing will change. It is important to fight injustices so we can make the world a better place.

I never said we should just shrug our shoulders and dismiss it, all I am saying that in the context of everything wrong with the world, the OP gets seriously seriously depressed over some stupid fast food restaurant non story that is pushed by the media into the public wankfest that it has become. The whole thing was a non story before the usual interest groups got involved.

If he gets so depressed about this then I would advise him never go to a third world country and see for himself the trivialities we in the west make so much hay over.

kylith wrote: »
    America really depresses me. It has so many intelligent people, so much money, technology and power, and yet there is such a disparity between rich and poor, and they are so held back by religion. I hear things like this current equality arguement and I wonder how the hells this is even a thing. How are people in one of the world's most privileged countries arguing against everyone having the same rights, national healthcare, religious freedom (including freedom from religion)? It's depressing and scary.

I don't think you have America right at all, have you ever been, ever worked there? I can tell you I had some of the same opinions of Americans before I actually went there and spent some time in the country. It is full of some of the nicest and salt of the earth people you will ever meet. There is a reason why half the world could give its right arm to go and live there permanently.

The thing about america is that its fecking huge! Its a big diverse place where you will meet all ilks which unfortunately includes extremes at all ends. Media loves these extremes, why do you think some 20 odd people from the Westboro baptist church are so famous? The media give them that oxygen and court them yet then some people think they are then a representative of the religious right. They are nothing of the sort. If they are so held back by religion then why for example are the most creative and innovative companies and brands in the world American? Why say an atheist country like China don't have the same capacity to create?

Why? America gives everyone the chance to believe what they want and it guarantees that freedom. If you want to believe the world is 10,000 years old, so be it, if you want to believe you were abducted by aliens? so be it, if you want to believe in creating products and technology that there is no current market for (e.g. facebook, ipods, twitter etc.) so be it.

In other words, you have to take the rough with the smooth, would you rather an homogeneous, obedient society, where no one questions the order of things? Is it perfect, no but show a country that you think its better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

It's a beautiful planet,it's probably more hospitable than most of the universe.

If you set foot on Mars I'm sure you wouldn't be long about changing your mind.

When these discussions or any other worldly negativity gets to me,I'm off into the rugged landscape of NorthClare.
    No phone,tv,newspaper's,radio etc...

A good clearout of modern day living is good for the senses,after a while you'll be glad to get back to the fanfare of modern day living.

You'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

jank wrote: »
    I don't think you have America right at all, have you ever been, ever worked there? I can tell you I had some of the same opinions of Americans before I actually went there and spent some time in the country. It is full of some of the nicest and salt of the earth people you will ever meet. There is a reason why half the world could give its right arm to go and live there permanently.

The thing about america is that its fecking huge! Its a big diverse place where you will meet all ilks which unfortunately includes extremes at all ends. Media loves these extremes, why do you think some 20 odd people from the Westboro baptist church are so famous? The media give them that oxygen and court them yet then some people think they are then a representative of the religious right. They are nothing of the sort. If they are so held back by religion then why for example are the most creative and innovative companies and brands in the world American? Why say an atheist country like China don't have the same capacity to create?

Why? America gives everyone the chance to believe what they want and it guarantees that freedom. If you want to believe the world is 10,000 years old, so be it, if you want to believe you were abducted by aliens? so be it, if you want to believe in creating products and technology that there is no current market for (e.g. facebook, ipods, twitter etc.) so be it.

In other words, you have to take the rough with the smooth, would you rather an homogeneous, obedient society, where no one questions the order of things? Is it perfect, no but show a country that you think its better?
    I haven't spent much time in the states, no. I do have family there so I know that it's not all bible-bashing nutters over there. I think it's because I know that the majority of people over there are good, sweet, kind, accepting people that I'm frustrated with how the minority of bigots can be so vocally wrong, and have so much sway over policy, when they have so many good examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Who wants to pull our resources and move to a small island and set up our own country, free of all the self inflicted ignorance of society?

I have one request- proper fibre based broadband. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

kylith wrote: »

You're way off the mark there.
    I had to leave Ireland because it depressed me so much: with the brown-paper-bag politics, the entrenched indoctrination of so many children in religious schools, the scumbag/knacker lifestyle that is prevalent in so many Irish cities and towns, the begrudging mentality, the lack of real opportunity for career progression, the over-reliance of a large portion of society on various government handouts, the overwhelming focus on alcohol in the social scene, ................ and most importantly, the damn weather. I could not take one more Irish summer of rain and cold.

Here is what I did today in America: After visiting the local Farmer's Market this morning, where I got to hear multiple flavors of live music (ranging from Bluegrass to Classical), I headed to the pool for a couple of hours (but was very careful of my Irish skin). After lunch, I headed to my local coffee shop where they roast their own coffee beans (conscientiously imported from indigenous sources in Central America) and enjoyed the smells and sounds of a very friendly environment, while reading the final few chapters of "The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". After I finish this post, I'm off to an BBQ, where the weather will be guaranteed to be warm, as it was for the last 4 months, and it will remain so for the next 4 months.

For me, living in America is far from depressing and scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Liamario: I was actually thinking about your post earlier today and I hope that you get out of this rut you find yourself in.

You're right about how amazing and beautiful this world is, and yes, there are so many things to learn that will enlighten us.

If you find yourself not wanting to be part of "this" society" then my advice to you is to leave the environment that you are currently in if at all possible.
    Don't forget that there are many societies on the planet, and many may have the same mindset as you, but the trick is to find them.

While society as a whole may not be fixable, the society you create around yourself is dictated by where you live and who you socialize with, so you definitely have control over that.

Advertisement