Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should atheists celebrate?

Options
  • 30-04-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I searched this forum but couldn't find this so hope it's not a repost! I just thought i'd share a wonderful vid i found on the topic. If it is a repost maybe a few newbies will see it!;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptwEV0xhTzI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Read the comments on the youtube link you posted, that should answer your question.

I, like most, am just looking a for a reason to have a party. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Hey that was actually quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

strobe wrote: »
    Because things change...

"Pain and death are essential" Wha? Fu(k off! I think this is one place atheists always get irrational, saying things like "death gives meaning to life" - nonesense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

"Pain and death are essential" Wha? Fu(k off! I think this is one place atheists always get irrational, saying things like "death gives meaning to life" - nonesense!

CC, pain and death are part of reality. Have you ever met someone who is really naive and never gone through any hardship? I personally find them to be the most annoying prats and can barely stand being in the same room as em'. They can also say some of the most horribly ignorant statements ever.

Atheist don't get irrational saying death gives meaning to life. I happen to agree with it... and you know who else agrees with me? Christians. If it wasn't for the pain, suffering and death of jesus, none of us would be 'saved' and he wouldn't have died for your sins. Suffering is a huge part of Christianity and you need only look at mother Teresa for a modern testament to that.

I just happen to think that death gives meaning to life in a different way... in that because you're going to die... do something meaningful in your life even if it's only meaningful to one person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

CC, pain and death are part of reality. Have you ever met someone who is really naive and never gone through any hardship? I personally find them to be the most annoying prats and can barely stand being in the same room as em'. They can also say some of the most horribly ignorant statements ever.

Atheist don't get irrational saying death gives meaning to life. I happen to agree with it... and you know who else agrees with me? Christians. If it wasn't for the pain, suffering and death of jesus, none of us would be 'saved' and he wouldn't have died for your sins. Suffering is a huge part of Christianity and you need only look at mother Teresa for a modern testament to that.

I just happen to think that death gives meaning to life in a different way... in that because you're going to die... do something meaningful in your life even if it's only meaningful to one person.

I agree, the way i see death is i have to die so my great grand son can live. Room must be made otgherwise resources would soon dry up.

I agree, the way i see death is i have to die so my great grand son can live. Room must be made otgherwise resources would soon dry up.

What if I want to live instead? What if we colonize the universe? That's besides the point, rationalisation of death is just that, and rarely rational. Death is usually an involuntary occurrence, an imposition against ones desires, let's acknowledge what it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

What if I want to live instead? What if
    we colonize the universe? That's besides the point, rationalisation of
    death is just that, and rarely rational. Death is usually an
    involuntary occurrence, an imposition against ones desires, let's
    acknowledge what it actually is.

It's natural for us to avoid death as much as we can... that's what
    evolution has done. Any animal that has ever lived that didn't not
    want to die didn't last very long in the gene pool so now we're left
    with animals that *gasp* never want to die. It's a driving force...
    survival. It's very simple I dunno why I'm even mentioning it.

But this... somehow makes death bad, unneccesary thing? First of all,
    I would love it if we could reverse engineer our bodies and colonise
    other planets to live on but even if we get to such a technologically
    advanced level before we all kill each other over stupid sh*t
    *cough* religion cough* we still can't avoid the heat death of the
    sun or the andromeda galaxy crashing into us. Even if we manage to
    somehow escape those things... just think of accidents. I mean, tecnically living forever puts you very high on the chance of dying from something unnatural. I think fight club's Tyler said it best. "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

And it's so true because even if you could not die from old age and avoid the 2 things that we know will definitely kill out all life on this planet 100%, you're still going to be sucked out of whatever spaceship you managed to build from an accident sooner or later or just choke on your food or fall in the shower- Anything!

So you see, CC, I'm aknowledging what death is: Un-fuking-avoidable. I know some people just can't accept this.. it's too scary for them. And so... ideas of heaven and other such nonsense spring about that you now see embeded fully into modern religions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I think this is one place atheists always get irrational, saying things like "death gives meaning to life" - nonesense!

I don't consider myself irrational but I do think that death can focus the mind.
    If you know you're on a deadline, then you'd be a fool not to take advantage of that fact and enjoy every second you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

That is a lovely sentiment, but should be just that. Perhaps it is the reality for some species, but it need not and should not be the reality for ours.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

:rolleyes:

Because Queen are such great philosophers.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I don't consider myself irrational but I do think that death can focus the mind.
    If you know you're on a deadline, then you'd be a fool not to take advantage of that fact and enjoy every second you can.

But that says nothing worthwhile about death, just something about your desires and motivators.

It's natural for us to avoid death as much as we can... that's what
    evolution has done. Any animal that has ever lived that didn't not
    want to die didn't last very long in the gene pool so now we're left
    with animals that *gasp* never want to die. It's a driving force...
    survival. It's very simple I dunno why I'm even mentioning it.

Because you assume I haven't put any thought into this, perhaps?
    But this... somehow makes death bad, unneccesary thing?

It is if you don't need or want to do it. It's simple really don't know why I'm even mentioning it.
    First of all, I would love it if we could reverse engineer our bodies and colonise
    other planets to live on but even if we get to such a technologically
    advanced level before we all kill each other over stupid sh*t
    *cough* religion cough* we still can't avoid the heat death of the
    sun or the andromeda galaxy crashing into us. Even if we manage to
    somehow escape those things... just think of accidents. I mean, tecnically living forever puts you very high on the chance of dying from something unnatural. I think fight club's Tyler said it best. "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Oh well if Tyler says it, it must be true. :rolleyes:
    And it's so true because even if you could not die from old age and avoid the 2 things that we know will definitely kill out all life on this planet 100%, you're still going to be sucked out of whatever spaceship you managed to build from an accident sooner or later or just choke on your food or fall in the shower- Anything!

Ah I see might as well give up sooner than later. Right?
    So you see, CC, I'm aknowledging what death is: Un-fuking-avoidable. I know some people just can't accept this.. it's too scary for them. And so... ideas of heaven and other such nonsense spring about that you now see embeded fully into modern religions.

I accept that death has a high probability and I'm not afraid of death because it's something someone can't experience, no afterlife etc. however that doesn't mean I'm gonna sit back and accept a 3 score and 10 existence, life depending on your perspective is a very precious thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

What if I want to live instead? What if we colonize the universe? That's besides the point, rationalisation of death is just that, and rarely rational. Death is usually an involuntary occurrence, an imposition against ones desires, let's acknowledge what it actually is.

Good point but we can't even get to mars at the moment and the nearest star is tens of thousands of years away at our top speed so i'll stick to my reasoning ta! Death is crap yes but i'm not going to worry about and let it ruin life, so rationalising it works for people living in this time with no fairytale explanations to fall back on.

Advertisement