Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday is the first day of the week

Options
  • 18-04-2011 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where to get a calendar that shows the weekend at the end of the week? Mine shows Sunday at the left side of the rows and Saturday on the RHS. It's not that I'm trying to get at Pope Gregory, I just think a calendar layout starting with Monday on LHS according to the ISO standard as opposed to Gregorian would be simpler to read at a glance.

For most people the week starts on a Monday, and the two weekend days go together. I can't even see the point of putting Sunday first from a christian perspective, because according to the bible, the Yahweh god made the world and then rested on the 7th day at the end of the week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

recedite wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get a calendar that shows the weekend at the end of the week? Mine shows Sunday at the left side of the rows and Saturday on the RHS. It's not that I'm trying to get at Pope Gregory, I just think a calendar layout starting with Monday on LHS according to the ISO standard as opposed to Gregorian would be simpler to read at a glance.

For most people the week starts on a Monday, and the two weekend days go together. I can't even see the point of putting Sunday first from a christian perspective, because according to the bible, the Yahweh god made the world and then rested on the 7th day at the end of the week.

My calendar in Ubuntu shows Monday as the first day of the week - you'd think people would be happy with that, in that Sat/Sun are called the weekend after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Just get me a flip pad and a biro and I'll sort one for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Slightly OT, but last week I wanted to buy a pill-box with a compartment for tablets for each day of the week. I went into about six chemists and every one I looked at had the first one labelled "Sunday". I finally found one that was arranged in a circle so there wasn't any clear start or end to the week. How hard can it be? /rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Don't do it! You'll only anger the sun, then well have to get into all that apeasement crap again. Have you any idea how difficult it is to find a virgin these days????

• Registered Users Posts: 38 flyboy69

Timeanddate.com and a printer will sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

...then Tuesday comes after that...

In which thread shall I pooooost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Zillah wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxIsiTo4VJo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

...then Tuesday comes after that...

I'm waitng for Friday cause I gotta get down on it.

mikhail wrote: »

Is it really possible that the account was closed in the seven minutes between you posting that and me clicking it?

If anyone hasn't seen the hell remix I strongly recommend it, it is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

recedite wrote: »

Seems to me that the Sun's day should be the first day, logically speaking, for a Sun based solar system. It's how we teach children the names of the planets - first to last, with respect to the Sun.

I would suggest..
    (1) Sunday - the Sun's day, at the center of our Solar System
    (2) Mercury's Day - Miercolis, Mecredi (currently Wednesday)
    (3) Venus' day - Viernes, Vendredi - (currently Friday)
    (4) The moon's day - currently Monday
    (5) Mars' day - Mardi, Martes (currently Tuesday)
    (6) Jupiter's Day - Jeudi, Jeuvas - currently Thursday
    (7) Saturn's Day - currently Saturday

Looks like pure Astronomy to me.

The names of the days of the week, if you already did not know come from the Sun, Moon, and first five planets.

Thankfully, we can only see five planets with the naked eye and not Uranus, Neptune, or Pluto, or I would probably have to work a longer week!

A better question is why the names were staggered and not listed in order?

Also, planet comes from the Greek word "planetos" which means wandering star. Due to their retrograde motion, the planets look like they get lost in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

ill just leave this here,
    In Irish, four days of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Saturday, Sunday) have names derived from Latin. The other three relate to the fasting done by Catholic clergy
    from wiki

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

ill just leave this here,
    In Irish, four days of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Saturday, Sunday) have names derived from Latin. The other three relate to the fasting done by Catholic clergy
    Ah, that'd be Tedday, Dougalday and Jackday.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

HAhahahaa

Fried eggs fried eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

FISMA wrote: »
    The names of the days of the week, if you already did not know come from the Sun, Moon, and first five planets.

Maybe in Latin-based languages, but I prefer the pagan god etymology, Wednesday (Woden), Thursday (Thor), Friday (frijjō/Freyja).

Advertisement