Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nemesis on DVD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I am a real trekker and will watch whatever rick the prat sends our way

1.I hope your not saying im not a real trekker.....iv been watching since i was 5 or so

2.To blindly follow every thing those idoits B&B pull out of their ass is not good they have destroyed the time line and are destroying the ST name.....AS I SAID i will give Akiraprise 1 more year to improve but i cant see it happening "The expanse where the laws of physics dont apply" ****sake :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i must say i enjoyed nemsis and so i will defo be buying the dvd !:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I finally got my region 1 copy of the film and I have to say I love the menu screens. I havent had a chacne to go through all the menus yet but it looks like a good disk.

Are both region 1 and 2 versions the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shortie518

No i didnt mean you werent a trekker. I merely meant to emphasise the depth of my affiliation to the show in all its incarnations. I fully agree that they have polluted star trek from the purity that was tos and tng. As for what you call akiraprise, you seem to have already condemmed the show despite what you say about giving it one more season. :rolleyes: Lets not get an argument going as we all have opinions.

i wouldnt call it akiraprise if they didnt base the main ship on a 200 year younger design all they did was change a few parts around and Bingo the nx class :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Lads you should all watch B5 instead,

Only messing (ducks head from flying brick).

I have watched star trek since a young age and have endured the scourn that goes with liking it. But voyager was terrible in its first season. DS9 had a bad first season but by the end of it that show was marvelious.

Voyager turned itself around and Enterprise will get better. Its either Enterprise or nothing as it seems they are running outta ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by clownboy
    Lads you should all watch B5 instead,

Only messing (ducks head from flying brick).

Flying brick launched.

Enterprise will get better i'm sure of that also, its got promise and i think some good actors, i didn't like hearing about scott bakula as a captain when it was announced but he's grown on me a bit though he's no picard or sisko, we'll see how it goes.

B5 was good anuff in all fairness i liked the captain in that .....Though the war wasnt anything as good as ds9 and the CGI even though ahead of its time looked cartoon like

as for akiraprise crew......Trip is a great actor though only T,pol and archer get any screen time......The helm officer (i cant remember his name!!!) got all of 3 lines last year lol

eh you never know this seasion might be good

I totally agree on the design of the nx01. I was totally expecting the daedalus class starship as seen in sisko's office and similar to the uss pasteur from all good things... As for B5, nuff said. I hate it but thats a whole new thread. Scott Bakula is experiencing the stigma from being a very well established actor. Most of the actors in trek so far were virtually unknown to most of us so its much more difficult for sam beckett, i mean scott to fit into the role. But I still think hes doing a great job. As the song goes things can only getting better.

Flying brick, ha, I like that one. lol

i think trip does get quite a bit of air time, mayweather doesn't though and that fine with me i don't particularly think he is any good, he did have a whole episode devoted to him this year, i also think they are trying to pull in some viewers with cheap sleazy tactics for example theres more nudity in this of main characters then i've ever since in a star trek show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Iv no idea what your bitchin about, I really enjoy Enterprise ! And in fairness no one would have watched it if the ship had a satalite dish attached to the front. It was inevitable that the nx01 was gonna look more advanced than the tos enterprise..

I think the point were all trying to make about the nx-01 is that its too advanced for the 22nd century in design. She shuda been close in design to the daedalus class ship of that era as seen in a tng episode whose name escapes me. A daedalus class ship is also sitting in ben sisko's office on ds9. Thats what she shuda been not the akiraprise as some posters call her. The satellite dish wouldnt have been present cos em-shielding hasnt been invented yet. They do have a very small dish at the bow of the saucer but this is the navigational deflector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Back on topic did anyone else think that the director came across as a bit of an arrogant twit? This whole thing of "I haven't seen any Star Trek before but I'm going to come in and make an amazing Star Trek film just because I'm such a good editor/director". The annoying thing is that he goes on for ages about his editing skills yet a lot of the complaints about the original cinematic release were that too much was cut from it. Personally I think all the scenes that were cut should have been left in except for that one with Shizon before we meet him. The one with Data and Picard drinking the wine ties in with the rest of the film especially when they're all drinking the same wine at the end. Those nods to that scene make me really curious as to why it was taken out, it's such a short scene yet it adds a lot to the film. Plus that scene at the end with the new commander was brilliant.

The NX class (btw NX class is a dumb ass name to) Should look like the Hope class / daedalus not the 250 year younger Akira class

Though i do know that todays views wouldnt want to see a ship like the Enterprise from TOS .But with CGI etc they could of made a damn fine ship that keept the Design history of the Enterprise ships.......Something the E-A refit ......E-B ----E-C E-D and E-E did very very well

NX makes sense to me as it ties in with the way prototype ships in the 24th century are given NX and not NCC so i think it was good on there part and ties in well

with regards to the cut scenes i too see no reason why they couldn't have been left in its not like the film was massively long anyway and they did add stuff to the film.

Yeah that director was a total prat. Hes just a glorified editor, and from the hash he made of nemesis, not a very good one. And whats this rubbish about movies not being over two hours long? Trek 1 was well over 2 hours, twok was also well over the 2 hour mark. I want a decent movie that all trekkers can sit back and say, that is easily the best, and i know im not alone.

NX is the name of ALL prototype aircraft since 1960 or so ....Thats why its a stupid name.........Enterprise might of been a prototype but their building new ones and NX just insnt right

seem right to me the first warp five star ship the first decent interstellar ship it is the prototype so it gets NX if there building more thats fine but the defiant was still NX-74205 even after other defiant starships where built. Just out of interest going by startrek the first ship in a class names the class so does that make the enterprise enterprise class?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hrm, you make a good point. Rick certainly fecked that one up. Although i've never seen another other ships of the design of the NX-01, and besides i dont think it was decided by starfleet to give the class of the first prototype until well into the TOS era.

Dont forget that when the defiant was destroyed by the breen her replacement was renamed defiant by starfleet special order and given the same registry as defiant mark 1 but with the ncc prefix. However one possible explanation is that the ncc "naval construction contract" prefix only came into being when other ship yards were built off world ie utopia planetia etc

• Advertisement

why is it that ncc stands for naval construction contract? is that a military thing or star trek thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

€18.24 from cdwow hong kong site

€17.50 from cdwow uk with discounts

nem dvd

I found the ncc thing in a trek book, cant remember which one. I think its the TOS tech manual or something. I think its also just specific to trek cos the yanks use CVN as the registry for their ships. Im not sure what that stands for. We know that USS in real life stands for United States Ship, whereas in trek its United Space Ship. Anyone who disagrees please enlighten me!

Yeah your right man, i remember reading somewhere that in trek USS meant United Space Ship, the united meaning part of the united federation of planets.

i thought it meant united star ship to be honest but i'm not sure

Just something that occured to me a while ago. Nemesis must really be a bad movie cos any other time I would have been to the cinema more than once to see it. Ive also only watched it once since I bought it on dvd a few months. By this time I would have nearly worn the tape or disc out!!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ive watched the DVD and extras about 3 times now, not much tho. I agree that whilst nemesis was a good movie in itself... it was missing that certain something that i can't quite put my finger on. Nowhere near the excitement of First Contact anyways.

Advertisement