Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forming a musical "collective" - Dublin

• 15-01-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey,

My name is Marie and I would like to form a get-together/collective-type thingy for musicians to meet each other and jam together and, if you meet someone you gel with, then all the better!

It wouldn’t quite be a free-for-all. That would be very noisy. Instead, people could take it in turns to perform songs, probably covers starting off and the emphasis would very much be on collaboration, moreso than your usual open mics. Obviously, if you meet folk who would like to work on your original material, that’s brilliant and probably the main point of the whole thing - just ye might need to rehearse a bit separately first, depends on how complicated the songs are and how skilled yiz are as musicians :)

I’m planning to host it on Sunday afternoons from 3pm to 6pm upstairs in JW Sweetmans (used to be Messers Maguire). It’s a nice space and it’s a handy location (and it’s free).

So, if you would like to come along, I am organising the first one for Sunday, 31st January. Although, I won’t book the space until I’ve heard from at least a few people who are interested so please get in touch. And, if you have friends who would like to come along and listen, that’s also cool, the more the merrier!

Ok, thanks for reading, hope to hear from you :)

Marie

Ps. In case anyone’s wondering, there won’t be a drumkit, but feel free to bring bongos, cajons, or anything else that rocks your boat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 marko27out

Is this in Dublin
    Hey,

My name is Marie and I would like to form a get-together/collective-type thingy for musicians to meet each other and jam together and, if you meet someone you gel with, then all the better!

It wouldn’t quite be a free-for-all. That would be very noisy. Instead, people could take it in turns to perform songs, probably covers starting off and the emphasis would very much be on collaboration, moreso than your usual open mics. Obviously, if you meet folk who would like to work on your original material, that’s brilliant and probably the main point of the whole thing - just ye might need to rehearse a bit separately first, depends on how complicated the songs are and how skilled yiz are as musicians :)

I’m planning to host it on Sunday afternoons from 3pm to 6pm upstairs in JW Sweetmans (used to be Messers Maguire). It’s a nice space and it’s a handy location (and it’s free).

So, if you would like to come along, I am organising the first one for Sunday, 31st January. Although, I won’t book the space until I’ve heard from at least a few people who are interested so please get in touch. And, if you have friends who would like to come along and listen, that’s also cool, the more the merrier!

Ok, thanks for reading, hope to hear from you :)

Marie

Ps. In case anyone’s wondering, there won’t be a drumkit, but feel free to bring bongos, cajons, or anything else that rocks your boat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

marko27out wrote: »
    Is this in Dublin

Yup. On the quays, close to O'Connell Street.

Might bring my bass if I'm around - waiting for confirmation. I don't write songs myself but a bass line here and there could work.

We tried something like this before, hopefully we'll have more luck this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LampyJo

Really like this, definitely interested!

Was speaking to folks who aren't on boards who are up for it as well, so I'd say go for it Marie :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Hi Marie, is this still happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 marieconniffe

Hey everyone,

Am terribly sorry for abandoning you since my original post.

(I did have good intentions of letting people know for sure about the first session but I couldn't log into boards for some reason and I had to reset my password and then I was told to wait 15 minutes before logging in and that was the last straw as far as my attention span was concerned - I'm easily distracted.)

So, anyway, we had our first session last Sunday and it went pretty well. There wasn't a massive turnout but it's early days and also I didn't help by not telling yiz that it was actually going ahead. It was good though - really nice people and a relaxed, supportive atmosphere.

I haven't been able to book JW Sweetmans again until Sunday, 21st February because of the rugby but the next session is pencilled in for then - same time, 3pm to 6pm. I think they're gonna keep putting us in the basement which is grand - there's lots of space and we can make a fair amount of noise if the mood takes us!

I've set up a Facebook group called "Dublin Music Collective" which will be the main way of keeping people informed about the sessions. But, if you don't use facebook, feel free to pm me here - I should be getting notifications again now that I've reset my password.

Thanks for showing interest, and sorry again for any abandonment issues.

All the best,

Marie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭dapotter

hi

am interested to be interested in developments !

• Registered Users Posts: 37 marieconniffe

Hey everyone, I've just confirmed the booking so we are good to go for this coming Sunday, 21st February, from 3pm to 6pm in JW Sweetman's (On Burgh Quay - used to be Messers Maguire). I'm pretty sure we'll be in the basement - now, the last time they kept putting a rope across the stairs which was misleading to say the least so, if it's there this time, just open it and come on down! Hope to see you all there and bring any mates you want. My phone number, if you need it, is 086-159 39 21. Slán go fóill :)

ps. here is the link to our facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/121796764873032/

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mickcorea

What instruments do you need? Keyboard?

Advertisement