Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Solar panels

Options
  • 08-09-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am thinking of solar panels, are they worth it and is my house and location suitable.

My house is standard three bedroom semi and the aspect is eastern facing, so my roof faces east for the front of the house and consequently west for rear of the house.

On the gable end, south facing, is my garage with a hip, tiled roof so placing solar panels here is not feasible.

Is the aspect of my house acceptable to solar energy???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

If are going to install them wait till next may. You'll get very little out of them over winter. I have flat plate and they don't do much from oct to April. Tubes are questionable over the winter also. Simply put if it's cloudy and cold they don't work.
    Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am thinking of solar panels, are they worth it and is my house and location suitable.

My house is standard three bedroom semi and the aspect is eastern facing, so my roof faces east for the front of the house and consequently west for rear of the house.

On the gable end, south facing, is my garage with a hip, tiled roof so placing solar panels here is not feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Grants will be gone this year so you may wish to seek approval now.
    West facing roof is slightly better than East. You will need to over-size to compensate for the not South facing factor or install an East/West configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

shane0007 wrote: »
    Grants will be gone this year so you may wish to seek approval now.
    West facing roof is slightly better than East. You will need to over-size to compensate for the not South facing factor or install an East/West configuration.

So it is possible but from what you are saying will need physically bigger layout due to the aspect of the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Yes but only subject to inspection. A lot more goes into panel location than having a roof.
    I was recently called to look at a job & I was the 3rd one there to quote. All others gave quotes but when I got there, there was 60 foot pine trees surrounding the house, with the house in total shade for most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Hi,

Thermodynamic panels may be an option. They will work on any roof 24hrs a day summer & winter. Once the out side air temp is above freezing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement