Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas central heating to oil?

Options
  • 08-09-2013 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knows if changing from gas central heating to oil is a big job. Our gas bill is massive, we pay double of those on the gas mains because all the houses in our estate run off a big tank that has to be filled so the prices are massive. Just wondering if it would be worth changing to oil in the long run.
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

That's a tough one...
    Metered off a community tank are generally a major rip off.
    What price are you paying per kwh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Honestly, I'm not actually sure. I think someone told me it was like 10cent, if that sounds right? Double what the mains would be anyway, I know that for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

It will be on your last bill.
    Once we know that, it could be determined whether it would be worth while or not.
    Also what make & model gas boiler do you have at the moment & is your heating system fully zoned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

skeptik wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not actually sure. I think someone told me it was like 10cent, if that sounds right? Double what the mains would be anyway, I know that for sure

What kind of heating controls have you? As in timer, room stats, TRVS, cylinder stat??

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

skeptik wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knows if changing from gas central heating to oil is a big job. Our gas bill is massive, we pay double of those on the gas mains because all the houses in our estate run off a big tank that has to be filled so the prices are massive. Just wondering if it would be worth changing to oil in the long run.
    Cheers :)
    Hi... just came across your thread whilst pondering exactly the same scenario.
    Did you eventually change to oil? If so, has it worked out for you? Hope you don't mind me asking btw. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

tony glenn wrote: »
    Hi... just came across your thread whilst pondering exactly the same scenario.
    Did you eventually change to oil? If so, has it worked out for you? Hope you don't mind me asking btw. Cheers!

original poster hasn't been on boards since 2014

might be best to start a new thread yourself

jimf wrote: »
    original poster hasn't been on boards since 2014

might be best to start a new thread yourself

Thanks... I'll do that tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

tony glenn wrote: »
    Thanks... I'll do that tomorrow!

Oil or nat gas is ~ 50 to 60% cost of LPG even before you take the tank rental charge of ~ €200/yr into consideration.

My first choice would be nat gas but not a option for you, if you consume say 15,700 kwh/yr of energy (~ 1500 ltrs oil) (my own/yr) then the probable savings are ~ €500/€600/yr. and pro rata.

John.G wrote: »
    Oil or nat gas is ~ 50 to 60% cost of LPG even before you take the tank rental charge of ~ €200/yr into consideration.

My first choice would be nat gas but not a option for you, if you consume say 15,700 kwh/yr of energy (~ 1500 ltrs oil) (my own/yr) then the probable savings are ~ €500/€600/yr. and pro rata.
    Thanks for that info. I've just posted a fresh thread on the subject, but your reply is good news. We'd certainly feel better being in control of our own tank and oil level.... rather than waiting for Calor Gas to up or down our monthly payments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement