Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Station attendants

Options
  • 01-02-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭

was talking to someone the other day about when you used to pull into a Petrol Station there used to be an attendant to fill your car up with fuel and take your money. You didnt even have to get out of the car! - would you like to see those days and that service back? - or do you prefer self service stations and fill up your car yourself? . I suppose there are still some small independent petrol stations around still which have an attendant to fill you up, but id say its nearly all died out now these days. Must be nice if you go out in a nice prestige suit and not having to touch a greasy/grimy petrol thingy or if its cold or raining and just want to stay in a nice warm dry car.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

fuel injection technician

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I prefer the self service. It feels pathetic having someone else fill the tank for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Do women shake the petrol pump after filling up or is it just a man thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They change hands every five minutes.That's the problem.
    Turn around and somebody else owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭samsid

was talking to someone the other day about when you used to pull into a Petrol Station there used to be an attendant to fill your car up with fuel and take your money. You didnt even have to get out of the car! - would you like to see those days and that service back? - or do you prefer self service stations and fill up your car yourself? . I suppose there are still some small independent petrol stations around still which have an attendant to fill you up, but id say its nearly all died out now these days. Must be nice if you go out in a nice prestige suit and not having to touch a greasy/grimy petrol thingy or if its cold or raining and just want to stay in a nice warm dry car.

The Petrol Pumps at Christies Supermarket on Pearse RD in Sligo,
    still offer an attendant service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Would you be prepared to pay higher prices for the service?

I wouldn't .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Do women shake the petrol pump after filling up or is it just a man thing?

I kick it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Before rounding, people buying petrol self service had already embraced the concept. They would offer €30 for €30.03 or €30.05 worth of petrol. Probably wouldn't get that perk from an attendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

anyone see the pat short movie Garage

powerful movie and shows the death of these independent petrol stations

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Much prefer it when I'm able to pull in and order some fella to fill it up petroleum distillate and re-vulcanize my tires...post-haste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

PTH2009 wrote: »
    anyone see the pat short movie Garage

powerful movie and shows the death of these independent petrol stations

You spelt the name wrong. It was called Garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

when i moved to sligo in the 90's there were hardly any self service petrol stations, I think if i remember right most of them had an attendant ... and not only that the attendant would come out of their booths with a lit fag , puffing away whilst they filled up your car with juice lol :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont like people I know touching my car, nevermind strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

when i moved to sligo in the 90's there were hardly any self service petrol stations, I think if i remember right most of them had an attendant ... and not only that the attendant would come out of their booths with a lit fag , puffing away whilst they filled up your car with juice lol :eek:

You remember wrong. The vast majority went self-service in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭samsid

actually back in the nineties in Sligo all the garages on the main rd(Pearse Rd)
    barring the Esso one had attendants, which as you say was self service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I worked as one from 16-18 years old while in school. I'm 31 so it wasn't that long ago..

Got paid 8 an hour back then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

A good few around Letterkenny still have attendants anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You remember wrong. The vast majority went self-service in the 80's.

Last place I remember seeing an attendant as a kid was the esso in Clane, Co. Kildare. Don't remember ever seeing 1 anywhere in Dublin. Could just be we were in the Clane one, more often than others who provided the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Definitely self service. I've had too many cars dented and scratch, in the good old days, by pump attendants. I prefer to fill her up myself anyway.

With elf n safety gone mad lately these days i am so surprised they still let us peasants of the general public anywhere near a volatile substance such as petrol/fuel - I mean a highly explosive liquid, damaging to the enviroment if you spill it on the floor (let alone claims from public where they have slipped up on spilt fuel) getting high on the toxic fumes - tell ye what if there was a big rush on people spilling fuel down their good gear and sending the dry cleaning bill to the petrol station they might think again about getting the attendants back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

No thanks, not since on of those lads filled my van with petrol instead of diesel :mad:.
    Even before that I'd regard them the same as those 'attendants' in pub/club toilets. Stay away from me I can look after myself :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

With elf n safety gone mad lately these days i am so surprised they still let us peasants of the general public anywhere near a volatile substance such as petrol/fuel - I mean a highly explosive liquid, damaging to the enviroment if you spill it on the floor (let alone claims from public where they have slipped up on spilt fuel) getting high on the toxic fumes - tell ye what if there was a big rush on people spilling fuel down their good gear and sending the dry cleaning bill to the petrol station they might think again about getting the attendants back

If all those things happened then of course we would not be, nor want to be, filling our own fuel. But they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

My first proper job was a Petrol Pump Attendant in Maxol and I was paid £1.50 an hour.

I was 16 back then so they could get away with paying buttons to young lads.

I dont want to see Pump Attendants back because it increases the price of Petrol/Diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

If I recall correctly, most were done away with possibly due to health and safety. Petrol contains benzene, a carcinogen, and pumping petrol all day long wasn't good for the attendants health.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

One of the petrol stations down here in Carlow has an attendant still.

He's not a million miles from Pat Shortts character in The Garage either.

You remember wrong......

oh well that dont surprise me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They want you to fill your own so that when you go in to pay you might buy something else. It's a business decision.

samsid wrote: »
    The Petrol Pumps at Christies Supermarket on Pearse RD in Sligo,
    still offer an attendant service

cool! - Any extra charge for it? - or the petrol any dearer for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I know a station in Galway that had an attendant a couple years ago at least. It was really busy and this really sped things up and increased their turnover a load I bet.

I didn't mind, though I am usually a bit antisocial when it comes to these kind of interactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I know a station in Galway that had an attendant a couple years ago at least. It was really busy and this really sped things up and increased their turnover a load I bet.

I didn't mind, though I am usually a bit antisocial when it comes to these kind of interactions.

Advertisement