Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign the contract?

Options
  • 18-05-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all, just recently completed a job bridge internship in Dublin in software engineering. I really enjoyed it and learned so much. The host company have offered me a 2 month contract at 1800 per month. I'm not sure if I should accept the contract or not, as the money equites to roughly what I'm getting on job bridge after taxes and rent (which my parents had to pay for me during the internship). What should I do? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

But it's more that the dole right? Take it and keep looking for a better paid position.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

donfanzu wrote: »
    The host company have offered me a 2 month contract at 1800 per month. I'm not sure if I should accept the contract or not, as the money equites to roughly what I'm getting on job bridge after taxes and rent (which my parents had to pay for me during the internship). What should I do? thanks
    €1800 a month would be €21.6k a year; a pretty decent wage for someone who (seems to) has little experience. Grab it with both hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 donfanzu

Well I have 4 years of college and 6 months actual work experience in a skilled field. I would probably earn more working in a petrol station. One of my concerns is I will be in the exact same position after the 2 months have elapsed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

You got to start somewhere, my first training job paid me £36 pw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Well I have 4 years of college and 6 months actual work experience in a skilled field. I would probably earn more working in a petrol station. One of my concerns is I will be in the exact same position after the 2 months have elapsed.

But that's all you can hope to get in a garage. Your 4 years of college are a bit irrelevant as all graduates have that.

Take the experience it will give you 2 extra months of experience and could lead to more work from the company.

No offence with this but with no experience sitting on your arse at home isnt the wisest option and I'm a little concerned that you even need to ask this question take the job!

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

This is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Welcome to the real world as a graduate, you start at the bottom and work your way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The 6 months gets you an interview. As you've been there 6 months, they're skipping the interview, and offering you a 2 month contract, maybe to finish something off. If you were to apply for a programming job elsewhere, you'd get the same of maybe less starting off.

As for the petrol station job, you probably could get that money, but that's all you'd get. Two years in a petrol station, gets you the same amount of money in another petrol station. Two years programming, though, may qualify you a better wage.

The days of starting off at 30k are long gone, and only happened if you got a 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would probably earn more working in a petrol station. One of my concerns is I will be in the exact same position after the 2 months have elapsed.

Fine, go and get that petrol station job, and see what position you're after two months there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 donfanzu

Thanks for the feedback guys, looks like I'd be foolish to reject it. I was just disappointed with the terms after putting in 6 months hard slog for free.
    I'll sign the contract and use those two months to secure my dream petrol station job ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement