Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

svchost

Options
  • 12-04-2004 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

recently this windows program started crashing whenever i connect to the net. does anyone know what virus (im presuming i have one) is causing it? i dont think its blaster cause that usually just hangs your computer or reboots it. any help? im running 2000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

svchost is not exactly the program crashing. It is a generic "wrapper" program to run someother device or program as a "service", i.e. a background program.

You need to supply more information. Simply a bad phone line could cause what you see.

Nowadays misconfiguration rather than a virus/worm/trojan (they tend to be "silent") is main reason for a process failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

It could be a buggy piece of server software too..
    Maybe every so often the code tries to determine whether or not
    the system it is running on is connected to the internet,
    and if true, attempts to run a routine resulting in the crash you see.
    Just a paranoid possibility. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Blaster - You have it. Google for patch.

Advertisement