Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok for fans to curse?

Options
  • 13-03-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭

Ok, so you're in the stands or terraces or your up supporting your local club.
    Is it ok to curse out loud?

Is it ok to curse publically when watching Rugby 49 votes

Of course it is
    0% 0 votes
    Occasionally, <5 curses in the match
    51% 25 votes
    Occasionally, <2 curses in the match
    24% 12 votes
    Once.
    16% 8 votes
    No - not at all.
    2% 1 vote
    Atari
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Depends who's around you, really.

If its a stand full of kids or whatever, then not really.

If its a load of adults though, and no one says anything to you, then I don't see why not - within reason of course just like the rest of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Yeah I tend to make a judgement call by how many children I can see around me at the start of the game - if its none or 1, i'll swear. if its more than 1, i'll bite my tongue as much as i possibly can.

Odds on though, those kids fathers will be swearing bloody murder at least once during a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Yes but in moderation. There was a guy sitting behind me in Croker for the three games and he cursed his way through all three and talked some amount of sh1te. Most annoying. You'd swear he was on the pitch and he dropped the ball or gave the bad pass or missed the kick. He was so annoying - as Ireland drop a maul forward against Scotland he shouted "Ruck him, ruck him" and came out with expressions such as "Murphy sliced them open like a turkey". He also called Wayne Barnes a "F**kin English c**t" which I took exception to, truned around, satred him out of it and he shut up then.

A4U Row 31 seat 8-9 you know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Downtime wrote: »
    Yes but in moderation. There was a guy sitting behind me in Croker for the three games and he cursed his way through all three and talked some amount of sh1te. Most annoying. You'd swear he was on the pitch and he dropped the ball or gave the bad pass or missed the kick. He was so annoying - as Ireland drop a maul forward against Scotland he shouted "Ruck him, ruck him" and came out with expressions such as "Murphy sliced them open like a turkey". He also called Wayne Barnes a "F**kin English c**t" which I took exception to, truned around, satred him out of it and he shut up then.

Sounds very annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Swearing within reasonable parameters is ok I suppose but best avoid it altogether if there are young ones about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I would try not to, whether there are kids around or not - but I must admit I did lose it a bit when Henson pulled some blatent obstruction in the 2nd half on Saturday which was missed by the ref.

By the way, I know it shouldnt matter that it was Henson, but he is definitely a player opposition fans love to hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭what say what?

If you paid in then you have the right to express your opinions, with or without colourful methaphors.

I personally wouldn't like to be beside someone who was extruding verbal offence, but then again when we go out into public we are all exposed to many things that we dont choose but we still do it day in and day out.

The faint hearted should stay hidden under their beds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

should be avoided due to the kids, how anyone can afford to bring their kids is beyond me. I for one will not be paying any more money to the IRFU until there's a change in mgt.

Now if I'm in the front room and the rest of the clan are out thats a whole different story,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Always wince when I hear it. It's only a game, what words do you use when something really bad happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

F*uckin Yeah! I don't curse too much though. I try not to curse when theres kids around, but sometimes adults give me funnylooks when i do and i feel like saying "You shouldn't bring the kid to a rugby match if you thought there wasn't going to be swearing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

I've no problem with people swearing at matches, I don't buy any of this nonsense about not doing it around kids, if you think that not swearing around kids is somehow going to save and protect them then think again, my parents never swore around me growing up but that didn't stop me having a filthy mouth . I swear all the time and make no appologies, it's how I express myself and it's naive of parents to expect it not to be heard at matches and to expect people to curtail it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I swear like a trooper, i still will attempt to bite my tongue around large numbers of kids though - I think partly that is down to the fact that when i'm roaring at a match i tend to scare children though (its been noticed, i'm a slim guy but quite deep voice when i'm cheering on the team, and children have in fact been scared) so i figure thats done my job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

personally i think its a focking disgrace the kind of language goys use while going to see the boys play in downtown drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

An Tarbh wrote: »
    I've no problem with people swearing at matches, I don't buy any of this nonsense about not doing it around kids, if you think that not swearing around kids is somehow going to save and protect them then think again, my parents never swore around me growing up but that didn't stop me having a filthy mouth . I swear all the time and make no appologies, it's how I express myself and it's naive of parents to expect it not to be heard at matches and to expect people to curtail it as well.

If parents spend money for there family to go see a match they should be entitled to see it in comfortable surroundings. Most young kids would be intimidated by someone continuously shouting obscenities. Its not about saving or protecting them its about their entitlement to enjoy the match.

Let’s reverse it, say you are at the cinema and there’s a family sitting in front of you and the kids are jumping around shouting, crying etc. Think about it…..

Everyone is entitled to some respect….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Id be much the same as çrash_000. I will try not to swear if there are kiddies around but to be honest I usually get so caught up in the game I forget all about them. Usually get some nasty looks and I feel guilty and try and bite my tongue again. Im not going to apologise for getting into the match though. I wish more people were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Try hard not to, especially when there are any kids in the vicinity,but generally completely loose the run of myself. While at the Ireland V Argentina match at the RWC I was shocked to hear an absolute yobbo label the referee an absolute c@!t, I was even more shocked to realise the yobbo in question was me!...not my finest hour....

When I go to rugby league matches the chanting and atmosphere is much closer to football, which results in earthy chanting and opposing fan baiting which you generally never hear in union....especially in local derby's..for example a leeds V Bradford match is very much not for the faint hearted...pretty visceral stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Try to keep it to a minimum, but do let out the odd "sacre blue" when some disaster or another occurs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I think a limited amount, possibly not at all if around kids.

of course they are going to hear it sooner or later, but cursing should be done in moderation, and if they hear adults cursing, they'll think it's OK to curse, and just start cursing willy nilly rather than sparingly. It's not about "protecting" kids from curse words, it's about making them think they shouldn't do it around adults!

The whole reason cursing is effective is you're not supposed to do it! I mean just look at what happened to the word "langer" after that stupid song! Now there's hardly any point in even saying it... we don't want to lose the rest of our curse-words to that stupidity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Downtime wrote: »
    He also called Wayne Barnes a "F**kin English c**t" which I took exception to, truned around, satred him out of it and he shut up then.

Yeah I don't blame you for that. To be honest the cursing wouldn't bother me too much. Adults cursed around me all the time when I was a kid and it had f*ck all impact on me :D, but any kind of racism, sexual references etc, is not on. Kids or not.

Advertisement