Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from the UK?

Options
  • 10-02-2005 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I've been lurking here for a fair bit, and I have a question.

I've just bought a guitar from an online retailer in the UK. The VAT is listed on the website as 17.5%, the UK rate. Can I get hit for the difference in VAT if Customs notice it? Has anybody any experience of this? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There is no import taxes on anything bought in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

You pay the VAT rate of the country you are buying the product from. Not the country you live in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

Slightly off-topic I know, but what about importing from the US? I've had my eye on a Clapton Strat for a while now but they're far too expensive here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The US is not in Europe so you pay vat and import tax (about 24.5% altogether).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

Jimmy_Jazz wrote:
    Slightly off-topic I know, but what about importing from the US? I've had my eye on a Clapton Strat for a while now but they're far too expensive here.

You might be interested in this, its pretty much the same spec as the Clapton model, less the blocked trem and the signature on the headstock but at a fraction of the price. I just got a similar one and I can assure you the quality really is top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Or this, $725 on www.chrisguitars.com

fen-mij-clapton.jpg

Chris is a top man and is on his way to supplying most of Boards with some form of instrumentation. Everything included (shipping, taxes, etc) this should cost you no more than €750

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

Jimmy_Jazz wrote:

Customs Duty 3.2%
    Customs Vat 21%

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chillum

Cheers for the replies, lads.

It was mentioned that (within the EU) you pay the VAT of the country you're buying from. How come Thomann.de adjust for Irish VAT?

The crowd I'm buying from is Regent Guitars ( www.guitars.co.uk). Anybody heard of them/bought from them?

Cheers again,

Willy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Doctor J wrote:
    Or this, $725 on www.chrisguitars.com

fen-mij-clapton.jpg

Chris is a top man and is on his way to supplying most of Boards with some form of instrumentation. Everything included (shipping, taxes, etc) this should cost you no more than €750

plus this guitar has been on chrisguitars for quite a while now so you could make him an offer less than the asking price and you may get it

Nope, it only went up on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

mmm, it must be a different one so.. i saw the same model a couple of months ago!

off topic - Doc, ordered myself the 1029a's today, got myself a bargin which included free shipping! woo hoo! - on topic

Yeah, saw the thread on gigsmart. Nice one, they've a very good reputation.

yeah they were recommended to me quite a while ago.. it's only by chance that i came across them last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

i get a lot of bits from uk
    and to be honest if the item is a saving and over a value of say 300 pounds. just get a flight over and take it home 50 euro i got to manchester last month to get a kit of drums with me brother

just a taught mate..
    brought them back between the 2 of us neahhh bother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

as far as i understand you are supposed to pay vat in the country where the goods are being used. So if you buy from the uk you are supposed to pay the irish vat.
    Not sure how strictly this is enforced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

You pay VAT in the country of IMPORT not export. So for all European purchases you should be paying VAT at 21%.

The exception is for small companies whose turnover is quite low (below €200,000 I think) where they can charge VAT at the rate of the exporting country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

You pay the VAT rate of the country you are buying the product from. Not the country you live in

Sorry, not meaning to be pricky, but to clarify for anyone confused: this statement is incorrect.

Advertisement