Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strava calorie count

• 06-10-2015 5:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the Strava calorie counter is considered to be accurate?

For example, my commute to work is 12.9km, 183m elevation gain and at an average speed of 20.1km/h (38 minutes in total), it tells me 350 calories. Does that sound about right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No, it's very inaccurate. Actual calories likely much lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Purely 'guesstimates'

It's based on a simple calculation derived from your total power output. If your weight or bike weight in Strava is inaccurate your power is going to be wrong too.

Even if you put all the info in correctly it makes some assumptions about your bikes mechanical efficiency and your wind resistance for the sake of simplicity.

So it can be reasonably accurate in the right conditions but it makes lots of assumptions about conditions and bike setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

lets just say my garmin told me I did about 2100 calories in a ride the other day and strava said I did about 1200 for the same ride.

I wouldn't trust either of em tbh far too many assumptions being made. That said you have burnt some carlirs so its all good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

D3PO wrote: »
    lets just say my garmin told me I did about 2100 calories in a ride the other day and strava said I did about 1200 for the same ride...
    Yes, my Garmin also gives about double what Strava gives. Also my old 500 used to go back to zero when it hit 10,000 calories during a ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Actual calories likely much lower.
    In my case it is higher. I have finished a weight loss plan a few weeks ago - I was loosing fat much faster than what my baseline + strava calculated calorie loss would indicate.

I say it would be between Strava and Garmin estimates for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Strava doesn't take heart rate into account for its estimates. Garmin does. Both admit in a roundabout way that it's all guessing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I feared as much. Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe just eat less bread monkey. :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Also my old 500 used to go back to zero when it hit 10,000 calories during a ride.
    This is not a problem I've ever encountered .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Just wondering if the Strava calorie counter is considered to be accurate?

For example, my commute to work is 12.9km, 183m elevation gain and at an average speed of 20.1km/h (38 minutes in total), it tells me 350 calories. Does that sound about right?

Around 500-600 kcal per hour depending on intensity and fitness, so 350 for around 40 minutes sounds right to me. Strava's estimates are quite good iMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Strava gives higher than my Garmin with heart rate monitor (couple of hundred higher over 40km). Even with HRM, the calories burnt through exercise by apps/ garmins, don't really take into account what you would've burnt doing nothing. So if you're dieting and planning on eating earned calories, probably don't eat up to the total of what the apps are saying you've earned!

Advertisement