Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Lumen wrote: »
    The S5 is the fat friend that the R5ca takes to the bar in the role of ugly sidekick.

Harsh, I think the S5 is quite fetching myself.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

but what about 7-19nm? :D

Guesswork :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It's the Greek Easter today and traditionally is all about food today.

This one is called kokoretsi and its one of the things that you really don't want to dig in detail in what you re eating, ignorance is bliss!

(Sorry big pic but I am on phone can't do much)

Kokoretsi or kokoreç is a dish of the Balkans and Anatolia consisting mainly of lamb or goat intestines, often wrapping seasoned offal, including sweetbreads, hearts, lungs or kidneys. The intestines of suckling lambs are preferred

Yeah, sounds lovely...
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think my Molteni jersey just got de-cooled........:(

image.jpg

Is "Inda" wearing a cockstrong wrist band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Wait until he sees this... Spit roasted lamb..

Looks lovely but amazingly lamb is the one meat that I don't eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Measuring 0.75mm of wear on a KMC X10 chain after about a month of use, despite thoroughly cleaning after each spin.....pfft, won't be using one of them ever again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Jawgap wrote: »
    And how! Should we be expecting a firesale in the adverts sub-forum?
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Is "Inda" wearing a cockstrong wrist band?
    It would appear so. He has the LS colours on his lid too. He's a dedicated follower of fashion is our Inda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

colm_gti wrote: »
    Measuring 0.75mm of wear on a KMC X10 chain after about a month of use, despite thoroughly cleaning after each spin.....pfft, won't be using one of them ever again!

Think that might be .75%, not mm ...

My SRAM PC991 has over 4,000 kms on it and the .75% side of this doesn't fit yet!

route66 wrote: »
    Think that might be .75%, not mm ...

My SRAM PC991 has over 4,000 kms on it and the .75% side of this doesn't fit yet!

Maybe so, either way the .75 side of my chain wear gauge was slipping into the link...likewise usually get 5 or 6 times the distance I got out of it from a SRAM chain....SRAM PC1051 now fitted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

colm_gti wrote: »
    Maybe so, either way the .75 side of my chain wear gauge was slipping into the link...likewise usually get 5 or 6 times the distance I got out of it from a SRAM chain....SRAM PC1051 now fitted!
    using SRAM chain myself now, no complaints, BBB were recommended as a cheap option otherwise. to be fair colm you be putting out some serious power on that poor chain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

manafana wrote: »
    using SRAM chain myself now, no complaints, BBB were recommended as a cheap option otherwise. to be fair colm you be putting out some serious power on that poor chain

We have just been changing out his new chain for an old one before every race to make him less efficient and give the rest of the competitors a chance :pac:

manafana wrote: »
    CramCycle wrote: »
    We have just been changing out his new chain for an old one before every race to make him less efficient and give the rest of the competitors a chance :pac:

Hahaha I wish! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

colm_gti wrote:

Are you measuring with a tape/ruler, or with a dedicated chain wear tool? One argument against the most common dedicated chain wear tools is that they factor the wear on the rollers into the measurement and may suggest a chain is worn out before it really is. The issue is described in detail here.

As per that page, a better means of measuring chain wear is to either use an accurate ruler (or a decent pair of calipers) carefully or else buy the (expensive) Shimano chain tool that does not take roller wear into account. It still might not mean that your KMC chain will last as long as your previous ones of course, but maybe there is more life left in it than it seems.

doozerie wrote: »
    Are you measuring with a tape/ruler, or with a dedicated chain wear tool? One argument against the most common dedicated chain wear tools is that they factor the wear on the rollers into the measurement and may suggest a chain is worn out before it really is. The issue is described in detail here.

As per that page, a better means of measuring chain wear is to either use an accurate ruler (or a decent pair of calipers) carefully or else buy the (expensive) Shimano chain tool that does not take roller wear into account. It still might not mean that your KMC chain will last as long as your previous ones of course, but maybe there is more life left in it than it seems.

I was using a basic chain wear tool. That's interesting, thanks for the link doozerie. Even if that is the case, I still get a lot more life out of SRAM chains than the KMC chain, even just going by the chain wear gauge. Picked up the KMC chain as I was in a rush but won't be doing it again in the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Anyone for a coffee this evening? :)

217120_578680568832528_2016177215_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

doozerie wrote: »

I removed a KMC X10 93 chain last year with over 5000km on it because it was failing the chain tool test. However, I checked it this year and found it was only "stretched" by about 1/8" over 4' of chain. I have now put it back on my bike. Perhaps the KMC chains are more prone to roller wear and are incorrectly failing with a standard chain checking tool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Perhaps the KMC chains are more prone to roller wear and are incorrectly failing with a standard chain checking tool?

Yes, that's exactly what I was wondering. I don't know how likely it is but it is possible that KMC rollers are made of a "softer" metal than other brands.

Whatever about KMC chains though, I've stopped having much faith in my chain checking tool since I read that article I linked to earier. I'd never stopped to really think about how the checking tool worked prior to that, I just took it for granted that it was accurate and reliable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

So old beetroot face has finally wandered off into the sunset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

RobFowl wrote: »

Thatcher gone, Ferguson out....if Rupert Murdoch pops his clogs my year will be complete.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,519 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sorry but any rumours of my demise are completely untrue ...

My facebook news feed is filled with people talking about Fergie retiring, I for one am glad, I never liked the Black Eyed Peas anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Oh Mr Ferguson, the memories, I witnessed it all, now......put your feet up & enjoy a well deserved retirement ;)
    /sniff sniff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Does this mean no new episodes of Taggart?

Robbed from twitter:

"First Thatcher dies, then Ferguson retires. Somewhere there is a Scouser with a lamp and one wish left"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The first rule of Strava club is...don't leave it running while you're locking your bike and going in to use the printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So driving southbound on the M50 this evening during rush hour, about 6.15, the last thing I had expected to see was a bat **** crazy cyclist cycling between the N4 and N7 exits, probably one of the longer distances between exits too. This wasn't a commuter with a pair of jeans and a high vis vest tied to a bag on his back either but someone fully kitted out for a ride.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There will be a minutes applause for Sir Alex at Sunday's match in the 97th minute.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

There will be a minutes applause for Sir Alex at Sunday's match in the 97th minute.

/Or however long it takes Man U to get an equaliser or winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Need...to...share...
    tumblr_mllo5xPXN81s02idlo1_400.gif

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,519 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dear Mr Glazer

I would like to introduce myself - my name is Beasty and I am a Category Moderator on Boards.ie - I'm sure you know the site, and I'm guessing you probably post on it yourself - if so, please let me know your ID and we can take further correspondence to PM

Anyway, when I say I am a Category Moderator, it's not just any category - it's the Sport Category. That gives me responsibility for all sports forums, including Soccer, where we have a very popular Manchester United thread (If you don't currently have permission to post, drop me a PM and I'll sort you out).

Anyway, as I'm sure you will appreciate, I have an extensive grasp of all things football related. Indeed I have a full set of Rothman's Football Yearbooks going back to when they were first issued in 1970. Not only that, but I've been a big fan on Manchester United for over 45 years and was at Old Trafford only last Sunday for the Chelsea match

Please accept this letter as my application for the job of Chief Coach and Football Manager - the role that Mr Ferguson recently announced he would relinquish at the end of the season. You will see I am passionate about football, and in particular Manchester United, and have all the attributes necessary to bring further success to the club. Indeed, I have one or two ideas that I think will improve the club, and help bring even more silverware than Mr Ferguson has managed over the past 26 years or so. I am happy to discuss these ideas further if you wish, but to give you a flavour, some of my training "techniques" have been very successfully deployed in Cycling for many years.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed

Yours sincerely

Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Dear Mr Glazer

I would like to introduce myself - my name is Beasty and I am a Category Moderator on Boards.ie - I'm sure you know the site, and I'm guessing you probably post on it yourself - if so, please let me know your ID and we can take further correspondence to PM

You have no idea how hard I'm praying for you to get the job.
    :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They've already given the job to RobFowl. He's got the first team squad on a diet of 20 Rothmans a day, supplemented by burgers and chips.

They've already given the job to RobFowl. He's got the first team squad on a diet of 20 Rothmans a day, supplemented by burgers and chips.

That's Rooney happy again so.

He's lined up as "Chief Soigneur";)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Surly they can't be faulty.

Surly they can't be faulty.

They are and don't call me surly. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Ah for fork sake..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Quick question because I don't have a front derailleur in hand.. can you put a braze-on one in any clamp? I am just looking for a verification as I can't see any reason why not.

• Advertisement

It certainly worked with 10 speed campag mechs, yes. I haven't tried it with 11 speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Quick question because I don't have a front derailleur in hand.. can you put a braze-on one in any clamp? I am just looking for a verification as I can't see any reason why not.
    Ah Holy Jebus. This can only end up one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Wondering if anyone can help me. I have a broken Dura Ace 7800 rear derailleur, the inner plate of the cage assembly is broken. Its the part extending between the two jockey wheels in the left hand derailleur shown below.

The derailleur disassembles handily so if I could replace the broken plate I'd ve back in business. Can such component bits be bought anywhere? A couple of years ago someone , possibly Blorg, posted a link to a site which sold bits and pieces like that but I can't find it now.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

dault180.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

bcmf wrote: »
    Ah Holy Jebus. This can only end up one way.

What what? :p

@el tel is that what you re looking for? http://www.petracycles.co.uk/shimano-dura-ace-rd-7800-ss-inner-plate-p-6569.html

Although every "sensible" man would go for this http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/fl_cycles_carbon_gear_mech.html :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

What what? :p

@el tel is that what you re looking for? http://www.petracycles.co.uk/shimano-dura-ace-rd-7800-ss-inner-plate-p-6569.html

Although every "sensible" man would go for this http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/fl_cycles_carbon_gear_mech.html :D

That's it! Thanks. You've saved the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weighed myself the other day and relatively happy and all that, but just realised now sitting here that my current weight is a total of six freakin stone lighter than about 5 years ago, which in turn means I lost almost a third of my body weight, or more than a ten year old weighs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Wow...it's the thing of dreams <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Stephen Roche on RTE Radio 1 at the moment. Plugging the tours, admonishing Kimmage for not giving more coverage to the positive* aspects of cycling in Rough Ride. I'm flabbergasted that 20+ years after everything in the book was proved to be completely true, and worse besides, Roche still has a chip on his shoulder about it.

*no pun intended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »
    Stephen Roche on RTE Radio 1 at the moment. Plugging the tours, admonishing Kimmage for not giving more coverage to the positive* aspects of cycling in Rough Ride. I'm flabbergasted that 20+ years after everything in the book was proved to be completely true, and worse besides, Roche still has a chip on his shoulder about it.

*no pun intended

I was more curious about how he was asked was he tired of being asked about doping all the time, to which he said he was, and then the interview went down the whole kimmage doping route.
    I certainly haven't been informed much about Roche's business which presumably is what he was on "the business" to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

<fart noises>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement