Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big story ....CERN scientists break the speed of light

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dapperdon

Gandalph wrote: »
    It was only a matter of time, Usain Bolt came close to beating the speed of light in training one day.

I wonder was the particle tested for performance enhancing substances when it did a Ben Johnson ?.

I think this will prove to be instrumentation error or similar, i saw it said that it was only a few meters per second faster then the speed of light, you have to wonder why such a tiny increase when you would think vastly faster then light speeds would be just as possible once it had broken light speed.

Cant help thinking its another "cold fusion" hoopla.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AIDO Tours

zuutroy wrote: »
    What hasn't been mentioned is that the effect of doing the experiment in air. It's the speed of light in a vacuum that's the universal constant. Would like to see this addressed.

the experiment wasn't done in air, it was done in rock. Sound travels faster through a more dense medium so why shouldn't Light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

If it is an error or a false alarm, I doubt very much that's it's in the Cold Fusion category.

Is it not the case that Neutrinos/Tachyons have been the subject of very serious scientific study for decades?

In terms of the process of scientific research, nothing unusual is going on. It's just that this particular finding is generating a lot of general interest, excitement, speculation and media coverage.

And why not? All the better to stimulate people's interest in science, especially the young aspiring physicists.

MIT physicist Peter Fisher answers questions about reports that experiments in Switzerland and Italy show neutrinos can break light’s speed limit.

Q. If this turns out to be some kind of unrecognized systematic error in the measurements, would that reflect badly on the scientists who reported it, or would it just be a reflection of science working as it’s supposed to?

A. I would say more the latter. I know a number of the people on the OPERA experiment [at Gran Sasso] and they are very thoughtful, careful people who would never publish a result like this unless they were certain there was no better explanation. I would bet that whatever the explanation is, it will be very interesting.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/3q-fisher-neutrinos-opera.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

AIDO Tours wrote: »
    the experiment wasn't done in air, it was done in rock. Sound travels faster through a more dense medium so why shouldn't Light?

Because they have totally different means of propagation.

• Advertisement

Because they have totally different means of propagation.

I disagree with the word totally. Different yes but totally no, they both are propagated as waves, or at least when I was in UCC up to 1999 that was the case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I disagree with the word totally. Different yes but totally no, they both are propagated as waves, or at least when I was in UCC up to 1999 that was the case

Sound is transferred through the vibration of matter. Light is transferred through electromagnetic waves/photons and has no need for matter to propagate. The only thing they have in common is that they're waves, but of completely different types (and in light's case it isn't even a wave a lot of the time!)
    Sound travels faster through denser materials because the atoms are packed closely together. Light generally travels slower through matter due to localised disturbances in the electric field of the atoms caused by the electromagnetic wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

I'm no physicist, but could the neutrinos possibly have come from somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭okeanes

the paticals that are moving faster than light , how are they moving ?

does this change anything , and what about science teachers will they have to do a coarse to fully understand this and teach correctly to students .

Sound is transferred through the vibration of matter. Light is transferred through electromagnetic waves/photons and has no need for matter to propagate........
    Sound travels faster through denser materials .... Light generally travels slower......

I still disagree with the word totally :) otherwise you are 100% correct.

It is too long since I studied this stuff and longer again since I made use of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ghost_of_ED209

Come on.... We all know this was Chuck Norris... He roundhouse kicked someone so hard that his foot broke the speed of light.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They're really not comparable.

On a very simplistic level they both propagate as waves but to deal with light properly you have to delve into wave packets and quantisation. The mechanisms behind them are almost completely different.
    the paticals that are moving faster than light , how are they moving ?

Glib answer - they're probably not moving faster then light. If it turns out they were (which I could almost guarantee it won't), then we wouldn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Look, chances are everything we know about the universe is wrong and will be proven wrong at some point.

But right now the models work and all this will simply further our knowledge. It's a good thing that Einstein was proven wrong, because if our knowledge about physics peaked in the 1940's that would be kinda sad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Look, chances are everything we know about the universe is wrong and will be proven wrong at some point.

That's not even remotely true. Things will undoubtedly be refined somewhat, but to call it "wrong" would be incredibly unfair and essentially inaccurate.
    It's a good thing that Einstein was proven wrong, because if our knowledge about physics peaked in the 1940's that would be kinda sad.

He hasn't been proven wrong. Nor did he think that GR was the be all and end all. He dedicated quite a large part of his later life to trying to reconcile it with QM but ultimately failed. But if GR was wrong then we wouldn't have GPS amongst many other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Giuseppe55

How did they detect the neutrinos, anyway? My understanding is that neutrinos practically never interact with any other particles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Its no coincidence Jurrasic Park is back in the cinema lads! We are officially time travellers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

The barman says, sorry we don't serve time travelers.
    Two time travelers walk into a bar.

I was into the Neutrinos before they arrived.

A neutrino walks into a bar.

And doesn't stop.

Neutrino.

Who's there?

Knock knock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A neutrino walks into a bar.

And doesn't stop.

A neutrino walks into a bar and says "its ok, im just passing through"

A neutrino walks into a bar and says "its ok, im just passing through"

No charge then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

Faster-than-light neutrino claim bolstered

Interesting article which outlines how they might have accurate measurements.

I read somewhere that we may have to wait until 2014 before fermilab can test this claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Enough with all these neutrino jokes.

I heard them all next week.

roosh wrote: »
    Faster-than-light neutrino claim bolstered

Interesting article which outlines how they might have accurate measurements.

I read somewhere that we may have to wait until 2014 before fermilab can test this claim!

"But only time will tell whether the result holds up to additional scrutiny..."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fontanalis wrote: »
    The barman says, sorry we don't serve time travelers.
    Two time travelers walk into a bar.
    Was it the same person meeting himself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

I think this thread has gone off the boil somewhat. Like the actual research story. Mightn't hear anything sensational for a while.

Kohl wrote: »
    I think this thread has gone off the boil somewhat. Like the actual research story. Mightn't hear anything sensational for a while.
    We might have to wait until 2014!!

roosh wrote: »
    We might have to wait until 2014!!

<Insert time travel joke here>

• Advertisement

Just wondering about how this will be tested? I read that scientists at Fermilab were preparing to test it, but could a different group of scientists not use the same equipment, and run it much sooner?

Advertisement