Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The ban on injury threads...

• 24-11-2015 1:09am

...it may be more appropriate for some forum feedback thread, but as this is the forum where I see it arise most often I thought I'd raise it here.

First of, I am not in the least bit critical of the ban. It is so easy for people on the internet, hiding behind anonymity, to expose admin and mods to possible litigation. They deserve great credit for not just giving of their time and effort, but also potentially exposing themselves to the threat of being sued. I can completely understand the wish to err on the side of caution, so it's not meant to be in any way a "let's knock the site" thread. We all derive so much from this resource, and we should all be so thankful for those who give of their time to provide it.

But I read UK sites (as an off road enthusiast, Fell Runners Forum) and they freely accept such posts.

And was listening to the radio this evening and Newstalk had its regular health spot where people mention ailments and a doctor gives an analysis. So it got me thinking, if they do...why don't we?

If this site carried enough warnings about how it accepts no responsibility for any advice etc. and any posts are not meant to be taken as medical advice but merely as people's own experiences, could it be relaxed slightly?

Again I apologise about putting the thread here, I just can't imagine any thread where it might be more relevant bar a few other sports ones.

Comments

The mods of this forum only enforce the "no medical advice" rule set out by the site admins and staff. As it's not a charter rule, but a sitewide one, the mods are powerless to change it and your thread would be better suited to the feedback forum.

In my own opinion, I think the balance is right at the moment, if you've been diagnosed with plantar faciitis for example - you can ask for other peoples experiences with this injury and that's an acceptable discussion. However, if you say that you have a pain in your heel and someone says that it sounds similar to when they had plantar faciitis and you take that to mean that's what you must have, you're doing yourself no favours.

People describe pain/injuries differently, what might be a dull ache for you might be described as chronic pain by another. When someone says they have pain in their lower calf, they may actually have pain in their upper achilles. Discuss your diagnosis, by all means, but don't diagnose yourself based on a boards discussion. I think the way it is at the moment, is safest not just for the site, but for individual posters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

The best advice will always be talk to your doctor, osteopath, physio, etc. And don't run if you are in pain. I'd be wary of giving the wrong advice to anyone as it's impossible to diagnose a problem over an forum. As frustrating as it is to be injured getting the wrong advice and been out longer will be far worse.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As already mentioned by whoopsa it's a site rule. Please do not start any threads in general forums to discuss site or forum rules that's for local mods to do here. You may start a thread in the Feedback forum to discuss the site rule if you wish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement