Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metric or Imperial?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I do stones for weight, but kilometres for distance, like any reasonable person.

I'd say the majority of people who lift weights would measure themselves in kilos. The weights are all in kilos, and how much you can lift, squat, deadlift etc relative to your body weight is an important measure. Would make sense to measure yourself in the same measurement system as the weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I do stones for weight, but kilometres for distance, like any reasonable person.

That just a statement? Or are you querying my post?

Reasonable people use whatever works best for them. Me: I use both metric and imperial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think its a preference for most people.

When I started running, I ran 5 mile, 10 mile, half marathon, marathon races so I obviously used miles in my training because that's how the courses are marked out.

Now I run shorter distances, so pace isn't really an issue. I use my Garmin as a stopwatch on the track and its still set to miles for easy runs because that's what I'm used to.

Now at work, its a different issue. You have these stubborn Americans sending you over CAD that is measured in inches and talking about grouse and horse's hands and all this stuff. Fall in to line lads. The rest of the world has. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

walshb wrote: »
    That just a statement? Or are you querying my post?

Reasonable people use whatever works best for them. Me: I use both metric and imperial.

It's a statement that I'm reasonable, yes.

Just saying that I never moved off weighing myself in stone, I've no historic reference readily available in my head for comparison purposes.

For distance, like the post above, most races I've trained for are measured in kilometers so I've always used them.

Advertisement