Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metric or Imperial?

• 16-11-2015 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I am curious....I have always run with miles on my watch but about two seasons back I changed to Kilometers...My lap is set to 1 x Kilometers. I recently attempted to resume miles but just find it annoying waiting for my lap time to beep...:-)
    Kilometers come around so much quicker it would seem(even though there are more of them)

So I am a metric runner!!

And you guys/gals?

What measurement is your current running watch set too? 65 votes

I always set it to miles.
    0% 0 votes
    I always set it to Kilometers.
    100% 65 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

I did the exact same thing, but just more recently. Im definitely a metric Man now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭topcat77

I think i'd find it hard to go back to miles.

Went metric when i stared doing more Tri events.

So call me Metric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I pressed the wrong button on the poll.

Miles are before my time, they don't really mean anything to me and decimal is convenient. Metric for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,653 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think after many years we are finally more metricised than imperialised. I may have made up a word or two here, but you know what I mean. I still think in miles just as much as kms.

I may be wrong here but many of the training logs still use mile. Old fogies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

In the interest of balance - miles all the way ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Miles, miles, miles* which is funny because I'm metric in almost all of my other measurements. I just joined Strava and they insist on miles/pounds or km's/kg's which is annoying.

*I will change the setting for a 10k race though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Uh oh. UH OH.

There's gonna be t-r-o-u-b-l-e

:D

ps - km's all the way. They're shorter and easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

As Arthur Lydiard would say "Miles Make Champions" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Interesting mix on the poll....just over more go for imperial then miles....
    Even allowing for the complications faced by Max.....LOL.....:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Best of both. Miles for training (following plan) laps in kms (cos I'm soo slow :-) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I work off Kilometres. But I think it's cos I'm newer to running (jogging) and the runs I do are parkrun's which is measured in kms, 5k's and 10k's. Maybe if I graduate as far as a HM I might starting thinking in miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Kilometres all the way! I briefly converted to miles not long before the marathon, but as soon as it was done went back to kilometres.
    I use metric for everything now, weight, height etc. Much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Miles of course, none of those ridiculous km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I started off in km, been running in miles with the grown ups for the last 18 months but, I may change to km again for upcoming European marathon that's mapped in km...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I started off with Metric too but converted to Imperial when I started reading this forum and realised most people here talked in miles .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Used to use km when I first started running, but then anyone I ran with was using miles and kept asking the pace which I could never convert to miles in my head so I switched to miles years back. Been miles ever since :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Miles for training, but typically set the watch to kms for 5k's and 10k's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Imperial units are miles better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Kms are gay!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

I'm not English or American so metric for me boi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I used to use km, then switched to miles for marathon training. I'll swap to km for the 10k and 5k races, but for anything larger, I'll stick to miles.

I'm not English or American so metric for me boi

French?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

S.I. units for me.

Originally French, but now adopted by the whole world, bar a few exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Km's all the way :) delighted to see the poll is 50/50...

I've had to become bilingual to be nice to the imperialists on here but I still think in Km.

But as a country we are so mixed up about our measurements!

Firedance wrote: »
    been running in miles with the grown ups for the last 18 months

Is this an age thing ?? (Just curious, not questioning your statement ;) )

kit3 wrote: »

Don't think so, us whippersnappers (pconn myself and Timmaay) grew up on miles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Miles for me. I reckon it's a mental thing where i tell myself that running 5 miles is easier than 8k..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

tipping wrote: »
    Miles for me. I reckon it's a mental thing where i tell myself that running 5 miles is easier than 8k..

But you can tick off kms much faster!

I'm an aul one so I don't think it's necessarily an age thing, I do work in metric though so it follows on that I use metric in running. I wonder are scientists/engineers/medics etc more likely to use metric?

Don't think so, us whippersnappers (pconn myself and Timmaay) grew up on miles :D

Forget sometimes that such wise heads around here are only whippersnappers ! There were no Kms in my day .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

chickey2 wrote: »
    But you can tick off kms much faster!

I'm an aul one so I don't think it's necessarily an age thing, I do work in metric though so it follows on that I use metric in running. I wonder are scientists/engineers/medics etc more likely to use metric?

Engineer here. Was metric when I lived in Dublin but it's all miles in Cork so go with the flow here. I was very confused in my first 5k race here as k races are marked in miles was wondering how I was so slow to 1k..

tipping wrote: »
    I was very confused in my first 5k race here as k races are marked in miles was wondering how I was so slow to 1k..

That's Irish alright!

In my 5 k racing career I can't say that I ever entered a 3 and 1/10 mile race, or a 5 k race with mile markers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We all run in metres anyway - 100m intervals, 400s, 800s. No-one runs in yards.
    But some weirdos count in 1609 of them rather than nice even 1000s :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Maybe that's why running for time is the 'new thing' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

ha ha no, I moved to miles when I trained for my first half marathon which in my eyes was 'proper running' :D

:p:p I'm not THAT old (ok I am :o)

ha ha no, I moved to miles when I trained for my first half marathon which in my eyes was 'proper running' :D

Haha not a reflection on you trust me, was more a comment on the jokes I have been on the butt of over the years here haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mix of both depending on what you are measuring.

Mostly imperial if measuring people, but metric if measuring things. Imperial if measuring houses, metric if measuring furniture. Metric for measuring area, imperial if measuring speed and distance, but metric for measuring astronomical distance or microscopic.

It's complicated.

Right down the middle!!! 28 each....
    Funny that....I would have thought miles would have won out by a long shot.
    Don't think it is an age thing...mind you, my car is so old, I still have to convert in me head if I am over the speed limit, as it is still in mph...LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 vinegar_zombie

I'm original from Poland so I have been using km since elementary school. Same for kg. I don't see much sense in using Imperial system since even all math books I used for leaving cert would use metric systems.

Oops, I wasn't referring to you age-wise either ! I was wondering if it was more the older amongst us who had a preference for miles - there was no talk to kilometers when I was younger (seriously :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Oops, I wasn't referring to you age-wise either ! I was wondering if it was more the older amongst us who had a preference for miles - there was no talk to kilometers when I was younger (seriously :o)
    Metric for the track miles for the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I use miles... I had kms beat out of me when I started logging here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Kms all the way. I translate for the metrically challenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Surprisingly for someone who grew up with km, I'm all miles when it comes to running.

All the training books I ever used are in miles and the coach I had used miles as well. Translating all the distances into km would have been too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ha ha 35 v 32. Miles is the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

34 v 33 really, my finger slipped when I voted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

aquinn wrote: »
    Ha ha 35 v 32. Miles is the winner.

That's it everyone has to change over to miles now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Miles FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Now I use neither. I just go out and run :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭Cartman78

KM's all the way for me.....find it easier for pacing.

Having said that I spend a lot of time whilst running mentally figuring out equivalent mile times and distances but that's probably because i'm a bit of a numbers nerd more than anything else :cool:

41-41...
    Its like one of those football matches you played as a child that had no ending...LOL...

• Advertisement
Advertisement