Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat B5 Ball Joint nct fail

Options
  • 22-06-2014 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I have a 2003 Passat B5 1.9 TDI AWX 130
    Just failed NCT this morning on "Front suspension (46) Ball Joints , Worn , Offside front and Nearside front.. fail refusal.."

Do I need to replace the whole control arm or can the Ball joints be bought separately?

Whats the best VW parts shop online? I used Micks Garage and GSF before.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

jharr100 wrote: »
    I have a 2003 Passat B5 1.9 TDI AWX 130
    Just failed NCT this morning on "Front suspension (46) Ball Joints , Worn , Offside front and Nearside front.. fail refusal.."

Do I need to replace the whole control arm or can the Ball joints be bought separately?

Whats the best VW parts shop online? I used Micks Garage and GSF before.

Thanks

The ball joint is integral to the control arm so you need to replace the whole arm. It's probably worth doing the whole lot now if 2 or 3 are showing that much wear.

Be sure to get Lemforder or Febi if you want them to last. Your local motor factors might be more reasonable than you'd think too.

I got the full Febi kit for my car for €400 from a local place in Limerick a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Also, just in case you're not aware, there are 4 control arms on each side, each one having a balljoint on it. You may have to get in there and poke around to see which ones are gone if you're not going to replace the whole set.

Advertisement