Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Club??

Options
  • 23-11-2015 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I am hoping to bite the bullet and join a running club in January my options are Le Cheile (Leixlip), Lucan, Celbridge or any others in that general direction. Does anyone have experience of any of these clubs, I have not been to any of them so not sure which are best in terms of facilities etc. Any advice welcome! Currently train by myself but hoping to increase training next year and improve on my times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

They are all good clubs,very little between them and they all have a good fit4life section if that's what you are after.
    Also Celbridge has a grass track with tartan sprint lanes, Leixlip has a full tartan while Lucan has cinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

give them all a call and find out when their training times are

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

What about Dunboyne AC - not too far away from those clubs too.

Seniors train at 7 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fantastic club, loads going on, including an upgrade to tartan during 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mulberry wrote:
    What about Dunboyne AC - not too far away from those clubs too.

Get away you. North Kildare catchment area only ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

aquinn wrote: »

North Kildare is only 2-3 miles from Dunboyne ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »

we're right next door to North Kildare ;) a great club, you'd be very welcome Lo_La, feel fee to pm either mulberry or myself if you'd like more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Celbridge AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

Thanks all hadn't thought of Dunboyne. Leixlip training days don't suit so I think it will be between Celbridge and Lucan oh and Dunboyne ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Don't forget St Cocas in Kilcock! Training g Tues/Thurs. Suppose it all depends on how far ur willing to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

I'm in the same boat - live near Dunboyne and work near Santry, but Tue & Thursdays evenings don't suit with study. Any senior clubs train Mon/Wed evenings that you can think of....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Did you try Clonliffe AC? They are Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Thinking of biting the bullet.

What are the best clubs near D12 - Greenhills end?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

aoboa wrote: »
    Thinking of biting the bullet.

What are the best clubs near D12 - Greenhills end?

Tallaght are on the Greenhills Rd, you'd also have Sportsworld nearby (busy park) and I suppose I should mention Brothers Pearse :P but it you're looking for the 'closest' club to you I'd suspect that would be Tallaght.

Tallaght are on the Greenhills Rd, you'd also have Sportsworld nearby (busy park) and I suppose I should mention Brothers Pearse :P but it you're looking for the 'closest' club to you I'd suspect that would be Tallaght.

Ha :)
    Best or closest.. hmm..
    Would there be much difference between Tallaght and Brothers Pearse?
    I'd be average at best. Just looking for some structure and to see if I can get better.

Best or closest.. hmm..
    I'd be average at best. Just looking for some structure and to see if I can get better.

You're best off trying the 3 yourself and seeing which suits you better. Training times differ and one may have a group thats perfect for you to train with.

I love the way you didn't even mention Sportsworld, I wouldn't join them either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Best one is Brothers Pearse, obviously. :-)

But the best one for you is going to depend on training times, locations, type of training, and I guess price. You should contact both clubs and find out.
    We're at info@brospearse.com
    Send me a mail and I'll forward you our weekly newsletter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Whats with the anti sportsworld vibe on boards? Genuinely interested.

adrian522 wrote: »

? I don't think there is one. Mine is personal. Friendly rivalries. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

? I don't think there is one. Mine is personal. Friendly rivalries. :)

Care to elaborate on your problems with the club?

I don't think its fair to do that on a thread where people are looking for a club to join.

It comes across like there is some problem with sportsworld but it is never spelled out.

Care to elaborate on your problems with the club?

I don't think its fair to do that on a thread where people are looking for a club to join.

It comes across like there is some problem with sportsworld but it is never spelled out.

I don't have 'problems' with the club...smilies...see, smilies... :):):D They generally indicate there is good humour intended. As I say, friendly rivalries. There is lots of ribbing on here between members of different clubs. It's all good natured.
    I can't imagine anyone would think there is anything wrong with Sportsworld based on a few posts on Boards, their membership numbers and results speak for themselves.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I guess, I don't see too much difference between the 4 clubs in the area. Wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

I was a member of Tallaght AC for more than 20 years... nice bunch that caters for all levels. Fantastic facilities. .. super clubhouse and fully spec tartan track. Members range from 7 years old to almost 70 years old. Would still be a member only for pesky injuries :( , really miss the running, can only cycle now. The mix of training would include track, road and the use of tymon park, a fantastic facility in the area.

When I read the name Sportsworld I thought it sounded like a chain gym or discount sportswear shop. I had to google them for reassurance :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check with all the clubs and see where I land.

Fair enough, I guess, I don't see too much difference between the 4 clubs in the area. Wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

What's the 4th club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Best or closest.. hmm..

Try Rathfarnham ac as well they train in bushy park and nutgrove and are very welcoming to new memebers...just so you know ive ran against and met loads of runners from the other clubs mentioned and you will have a great time no matter which one you pick.

What's the 4th club?

Rathfarnham, Tallaght, sportsworld, brothers pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Clonliffe Harriers must be one of the dearest memberships at €160 a year fair enough you paying for the facilities but still, No matter what club you go to stay away from any club meetings they can be stressful at times stick to the running when you're able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Clonliffe Harriers must be one of the dearest memberships at €160 a year fair enough you paying for the facilities but still, No matter what club you go to stay away from any club meetings they can be stressful at times stick to the running when you're able to.

You get what you pay for. Best track in Ireland, easy access to cross-country trails, indoor 60m track/long jump/high jump, gym, clubhouse with bar, excellent coaching. I say this as somebody who is not a member so I have no vested interest in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You get what you pay for. Best track in Ireland, easy access to cross-country trails, indoor 60m track/long jump/high jump, gym, clubhouse with bar, excellent coaching. I say this as somebody who is not a member so I have no vested interest in them!

To be honest that's a bargain in fairness, gym and all.

We pay 110 for ours and I am happy to pay it because I get loads out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

No matter what club you go to stay away from any club meetings they can be stressful at times stick to the running when you're able to.

Clubs don't run themselves, someone has to take responsibility for these things.

Advertisement