Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jog slowly and not more than 2.5hrs a week or it will KILL YOU

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

annapr wrote: »
    Interesting comments, Ecoli.... Why not? Do you think that focusing on high performance is not healthy? Or not related to overall health? Would like to understand your perspective.

Stress, insufficient sleep, excessive caffeine intake all the things which make me able to train at a high level around work etc are the very things I don't feel are inherently conducive to health.

At very top level I would say that health is conducive to being able to train at the very highest level without breaking down. This is a choice that athletes make at very top level the pursuit of recovery is as important as the training (The Kenya philosophy of early to bed, naps during the day and leading a boring life in order to enable the highest levels of performance). Its a sarcifice in itself

Was speaking to an international coach during the week who actually made this very point, "its not the 2 - 4 hours of training that make a great athlete its what they do with the other 20-22 hours of the day"

Most of use fit training around life which is fine but that by its very nature leads to stress, we can improve performance but this impacts health to an extent in the absence of sufficient recovery for adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Rantan wrote: »
    10 minutes on my tea break is hardly "a study"!!

If you read my further posts I am looking for volunteers to help in extending the data to give a bigger picture as Robinph has kindly obliged, any help would be appreciated??

"this" => referenced your body of work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

rom wrote: »
    "this" => referenced your body of work :)

its fascinating stuff...whatever about the running, the stories behind some of the early guys are really interesting...guys fighting/dying in WW2, Korea etc

When I looked up why one Algerian guy(who ran for France) died young in the 1950's - he was shot for refusing to support the national liberation front

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭ooter

Don't know if it has been already mentioned but they pretty much picked the bones out of this study on last week's episode of marathon talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

ECOLII wrote: »
    Stress, insufficient sleep, excessive caffeine intake all the things which make me able to train at a high level around work etc are the very things I don't feel are inherently conducive to health.

At very top level I would say that health is conducive to being able to train at the very highest level without breaking down. This is a choice that athletes make at very top level the pursuit of recovery is as important as the training (The Kenya philosophy of early to bed, naps during the day and leading a boring life in order to enable the highest levels of performance). Its a sarcifice in itself

Was speaking to an international coach during the week who actually made this very point, "its not the 2 - 4 hours of training that make a great athlete its what they do with the other 20-22 hours of the day"

Most of use fit training around life which is fine but that by its very nature leads to stress, we can improve performance but this impacts health to an extent in the absence of sufficient recovery for adaptation.

Interesting... probably most challenging then for really good runners (like yourself and others on here) who want to perform at a high level... but are not high-level enough to do it full time. Not unlike some of the points Tunguska made on his Q&A. also, top GAA players often talk about the lack of recovery time too for amateurs at a high level. For recreational runners like me, it's a lot simpler... and i definitely feel healthier when I'm running regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

ooter wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been already mentioned but they pretty much picked the bones out of this study on last week's episode of marathon talk.

Yip linked to that on the last page.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Ok so..first night out since new years last night so I had a day of couch recovery...

looked at all Olympic marathon finishers from 1900 - 1960

14 games

I compiled a list of those whom I could find age at death for

(www.sports-reference.com being main source)

369 runners later...

results are in.........

avg age..

(runners who ran more than one marathon are only counted once)

Make of it what you wish..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yeah they're at it again:rolleyes:
    Why the fcuk can't they just leave us alone!!!! More articles on Ireland being well on it's way to being the fattest nation in Europe please! Currently second and it's only going one way!

I particularly like this comment:
    even the smallest amount of gentle running brings significant health benefits: running even as little as several minutes per day significantly reduces the risk of dying.

Hmm, and there was me thinking that the risk of dying was unavoidable (like taxes).

Came across this quote in an article in Outside magazine, with a link to actual longitudinal research on a large sample...

Science Says: “People’s health really seems to improve up to about 40 miles per week,” says Paul T. Williams, principal investigator of the National Runners’ Health Study, which has been following 110,000 runners and 40,000 walkers since 1991. Importantly, though, Williams says your health, and your heart in particular, doesn’t deteriorate above 40 miles, you just get fewer benefits from each additional mile. 
And runners who log more than three miles per day have a 32 percent lower risk of arrhythmias than the general population.

Runners' Health Study research here: http://www2.lbl.gov/lsd/People_&_Organization/Scientific_Staff_Directory/Williams_Lab.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭plodder

Thought I'd copy this from Ultraman's (well spotted, but not exactly informatively titled) thread

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32160231#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Author admits he got it wrong...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Alberto Salazar admits that too much hard running is bad for you, that there is a balance as we all know.

Now he did push himself to extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,422 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Alberto Salazar admits that too much hard running is bad for you, that there is a balance as we all know.

Now he did push himself to extremes.

Well yes, to the point where he was actually dead for 15 mins, technically speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

annapr wrote: »

And runners who log more than three miles per day have a 32 percent lower risk of arrhythmias than the general population[/B].

And now we have a 30% drop in the chances of getting non-Hodgkin lymphoma if you do an hour of vigourous exercise a week....unless your a woman then you're probably more likely to get it.

http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/wait-maybe-your-lazy-friend-had-it-all-wrong

As is often the case in careful studies, the researchers write that "more research ... is warranted."

No sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good article on this theme:
    http://www.si.com/edge/2015/11/23/great-fitness-debate-can-athletes-train-too-much

THe last paragraph probably sums it up for a lot of people around here:
    The two final points are pretty simple, while exercise is protective it is not a vaccine and case reports of people who were lifelong exercisers dying during exercise do happen but they are rare. The second, and the one that the advocates of the too-much-exercise story typically miss, is that while people doing heavy lifelong training are doing it for their health, they are mostly doing what they do for far more than their health. Many are pursuing challenges and goals that go far beyond simple return on investment thinking about longevity and are focused instead on adding life to their years.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Good article on this theme:
    http://www.si.com/edge/2015/11/23/great-fitness-debate-can-athletes-train-too-much

THe last paragraph probably sums it up for a lot of people around here:

Excellent article.

Advertisement