Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro Problems

Options
  • 04-04-2006 11:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

I got my MacBook Pro on Thursday past. One of my main concerns is the heat problem - I can't keep my hand on the area above the F-keys for an extended amount of time, it just becomes too painful.
    The squealing noise on my machine appears to only happen when I remove the power lead - it is completely silent when plugged into the main supply.

However, I've only recently started to notice a new issue - only yesterday, I've started to notice a sound which I can only describe as a hard drive - or fan - trying to started up, but failing after a couple of seconds. This noise would happen every 15 seconds or so. It's not too loud, but distracting nonetheless. Could this be linked to the heat problem?

I'm going to keep a close eye on the steps Apple take to rectify these issues, and options they offer to customers, like myself, who already own a MacBook Pro. There is talk of replacing the notebooks, but I live in Northern Ireland where there are no Apple stores - so if this becomes a reality, am I to ship the notebook off again, at my own expense, waiting for ages to get a replacement? More importantly, how can I use the Notebook in the mean time, knowing that I might have to send it off, with all my data on it, to be replaced with a new model with a new hard drive?

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

i'll keep an eye on these forums so..

i'm having the exact same problems as you.. the fan starting up then stopping, then repeating every 15seconds has only started happening on my machine and i've had it for a month..
    i'm guessing it's to do with the heat, and as my hard drive has only recently filled up my processor is doing more work?
    i dunno.. i'd be hoping for a replacement anyway.. if it's a case of backing up every single file i have stored so far then so be it.. better than having to work with the defects!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Apple have acknowledged the heat issue and now have updated the motherboards to a new revision heres the link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

center15 wrote:
    Apple have acknowledged the heat issue and now have updated the motherboards to a new revision heres the link
    I'm aware of this, but my point is, what about the people that have already bought the notebooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Advertisement