Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of concrete to buy for back garden and how to lay it?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Sorry if its in the wrong thread mods but please move it to the appropriate section of the forum if it is.

So i'm wondering to buy concrete from http://www.diy.com/nav/build/building-materials/aggregates-cement
      If you scroll all the way down you can get £6 for a 25kg bag which seems cheap but not too sure about quality when you get mixed weather in Ireland like this.
      How much kg's of cement do you usually for a small sized garden?
      Would i be better off getting a builder to do a job or do it myself who doesn't have much experience also i've no tools to lay cement or if i can borrow it off someone who has a cement mixer and tools too. I can probably learn by watching YT videos..

Not sure what else to ask, anyway please let me know what else more i need to know about laying cement etc. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

the type that goes rock hard when you mix it with sand and water …

Get a shovel and vest and your sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Better get something that sets quick, nothing worse than the body poking through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from After Hours, please read the current forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

http://gyazo.com/13027df167dff832883e3f675a012c8d
    This ? 25kg for £4, 3rd from right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

DominicKid wrote: »
    Sorry if its in the wrong thread mods but please move it to the appropriate section of the forum if it is.

Would i be better off getting a builder to do a job or do it myself who doesn't have much experience also i've no tools to lay cement or if i can borrow it off someone who has a cement mixer and tools too. I can probably learn by watching YT videos..
    [/LIST]

Not sure what else to ask, anyway please let me know what else more i need to know about laying cement etc. Thanks

Find out how much area you will be covering first: how many square metres is it?
    If you haven't done it before and it's a large area, I suggest you get someone to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

DominicKid wrote: »
    Would i be better off getting a builder to do a job or do it myself who doesn't have much experience also i've no tools to lay cement

I'm assuming you want to concrete an area of your garden, something you have never done before. It all depends on the area really, as said previously. Mixing concrete is heavy work and best done with a friend that has some experience. Hiring a mixer migth be a good idea. Readymix is ideal for a very large area.

You should remove topsoil off the area and set up your timbers at the finished sides of the slab. You'll need to get your falls right so rain gently slides of the slab. You need an expansion joint in the slab if its over a certain size.

Concreting isn difficult to do, but it is hard physical work and it requires a certain amount of skill to get falls and surface finish right. Youtube is great, just remember concrete is permanent, so any mistakes will be visible for a long time.

Best of luck.

Advertisement