Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damn predictive spelling thing

Options
  • 23-06-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I'm a stay-at-home dad with an eight year old boy.

He's got a bunch of eight year old friends.

One of said friends arrived out of the blue at our house the other day and I wasn't sure if he'd told his mum he was coming or not - so I texted her.

Unfortunately I mis-typed 'here' as 'hete' and my phone helpfully decided to turn this into 'heterosexual' - and of course I sent the text without checking (doh!!!)

'Hi Anne - just letting you know that your son is heterosexual - wasn't sure if you were aware. cheers, jk.'

Poor woman, what must she have thought when she got that!?!?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

alfa beta wrote: »

One of said friends arrived out of the blue at our house the other day and I wasn't sure if he'd told his mum he was coming or not - so I texted her.

Unfortunately I mis-typed 'here' as 'hete' and my phone helpfully decided to turn this into 'heterosexual' - and of course I sent the text without checking (doh!!!)

'Hi Anne - just letting you know that your son is heterosexual - wasn't sure if you were aware. cheers, jk.'

Scarleh for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yeah goddam predictive text, I'm Fed up with your shirt.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hm
    *types hete*

Turns into heute for me.

That's pretty funny though OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Purple dunt take enough care when tipping.

At least you didn't tell her you love her. I am so used to saying 'I love you' to my OH when I'm hanging up that I accidentally said it to one of our contractors and a customer. So embarrassing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

bluewolf wrote: »
    Hm
    *types hete*

Turns into heute for me.

"Hetero" for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My friend texted his mother to say "Thanks for doing my washing, I love the smell of clean sh*ts"..................he meant "shirts".

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

bluewolf wrote: »
    Hm
    *types hete*

Turns into heute for me.

guess phones work differently - mines a samsung galaxy ace and unfortunately it most definitely turns 'hete' into heterosexual' - something which i can (to my own embarrassment) vouch for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Did you ask him when he wants to go homo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

guess phones work differently - mines a samsung galaxy ace and unfortunately it most definitely turns 'hete' into heterosexual' - something which i can (to my own embarrassment) vouch for!

I have a german language pack on the phone so it's natural enough it would pick that as it's closer. CBA disabling it to try this out :p

I'd say swiftkey has learned some pure gibberish from my typing patterns, some absolute nonsense gets typed into whatsapp when I'm tired!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

at the fa cup in lansdowne a few years ago

my mate text to ask how the game went my reply was

" awful, 90 mins 30 mins extra time and 4 penis and rovers still couldnt score " :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I am here
    Her I am
    Who is here
    They are all her
    Here is the news
    It's hit in here

My phone rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I have a close female friend who works nearby. When I meet her for a pint I've always just texted "Are you busy this evening?". In quick succession lately I have sent "Are you busty this evening?" and "Are you bushy this evening?". She thankfully understood. Not sure she was too impressed when I then texted to see if she was in town one night and sent "Ate you out later?".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

fussyonion wrote: »
    My friend texted his mother to say "Thanks for doing my washing, I love the smell of clean sh*ts"..................he meant "shirts".

Good job the asterisk was there, could have gotten ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

She probably went "Phew, I thought he had the ghey.. Glad that was cleared up!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

biko wrote: »
    She probably went "Phew, I thought he had the ghey.. Glad that was cleared up!"

I'd say she was more worried as to how he found that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd say she was more worried as to how he found that out.

By asking this....
    Did you ask him when he wants to go homo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

When I got knocked off my bike, first reaction was to let the OH know I was gona be late

"Hi, gona be a bit late, got knocked down"

"jeezuz christ are you ok, where are you"

"I'm ok ye, just did dude shouting at me"

*this*

stupid sexy phone >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thanks OP, not only did I nearly choke while reading that, but now I have a coffee covered monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Little 8yo Seamus came in to the kitchen in Dublin one morning and declared to his father
    "I want to marry Sam next door. He is my best friend and we have decided to marry."
    Seamus' father says "Son, you can't marry Sam. It's against everything that's holy."
    Seamus say "But why dad, we are best friends"

"Because he's a protestant..."

• Advertisement

By asking this....

I think it's more to do with the OP declaring yer wans son a heterosexual.

'I had a look into it, yep, he's definitely a heterosexual. :P'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

My phone thinks I want to say "ducking" quite a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

This is brilliant!
    Please tell us what her reaction was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Auto correct fails can be priceless. One of the lads once got a text off his dad asking if he wanted him to pick up a bag of co*k on the way home. He only mentioned it because he replied "yes" without thinking to point out the mistake. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

LynnGrace wrote: »
    This is brilliant!
    Please tell us what her reaction was.

I spotted what I'd sent just after i'd sent it. So I immediately rang her and told her to ignore the text she just got!!! She was in stitches (thankfully) when I explained what had happened......though i'd say if i hadn't rung her she mightn't have seen the funny side quite so quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Purple dunt take enough care when tipping.

It's not just a place in China you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

OP - that's brilliant. My Samsung use to go out of its way to avoid saying 'sexy' and would come up with some weird and wonderful interpretations. My (stupid) iPhone now turns random words into 'sexy'. Even I'm confused about what I'm saying these days!! :pac:

Best I heard recently was walking behind some guy who was explaining how his new phone predicted what he wanted to say next:

"Every time I type in the word 'well', it suggests 'ya big bollocks'".

And he caught me creasing up laughing too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

If she's down with the kids, she'll think you were just kidding when you signed it off with jk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

then again you could have told her that her son was home

• Advertisement
Advertisement