Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO...?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

:D
    the PSNI have several drones that they use across NI which have sometimes been mistaken for something else.

Dirty aul man cameras. Like UFOs, but flown by perverts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

maninasia wrote: »
    This is an old thread, but I'd just like to point out that the US has many many experimental delta shaped aircraft among it's air force and NASA and NSA spy plane related projects.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/29/us-air-forces-x-37b-secret-space-plane_n_3350607.html
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/08/11/u-s-loses-contact-with-hypersonic-experimental-plane/

Also the slow flying black triangles blimp like planes are regularly observed all over the US and sometimes in the UK and the Irish Sea area.

They have a single X-37 at most, and it's a mini space shuttle, those wings are for unpowered gliding after a ballistic re-entry. And the hypersonic HTV-2 is destroyed, nor it is a delta winged aircraft - it's a lifting body at best, but most of all it's a hypersonic bullet, lift at those Mach numbers does not require wings.

Delta winged aircraft have been around since the end of WWII. I really don't see the obsession with them in conspiracy theories. It's an aerodynamic means to overcome transonic effects - which is why you see swept wings on every airliner. Once you're supersonic the shock distribution on the leading edge generates the pressure differential needed to sustain lift. Typically these aircraft need to minimize cross sectional area (Area rule or the Coke Bottle effect) so you're going to see slender fuselages and stubby or delta wings.

The likes of the B-2 is subsonic, the flying wing design reduces its side profile while a twist at the wing tips overcomes the lift induced pitching moment. There's nothing alien or magical about this, it's basic aerodynamics. Like many of these jets they are the product of a secretive X-plane program going back to the Bell X-1. Most of it is now freely available and you can go read all about it.

You always hear people come out with the usual rubbish about how they saw a thing in the sky that moved like nothing man made, yet they don't understand the first thing about what they claim to be seeing (or how they're seeing it). Or you get the other claim where people claim that the USAF/NSA/CIA have some amazeballs hypersonic spy plane fleet when DARPA **** up and crash an experimental SCRAM jet into the ocean. The reality is that the US military would love you to believe all this stuff because it makes them sound superior and scary. You're falling for their propaganda. These things cost too much and are almost worthless to any military except as one off technology demonstrators.

What they do have is mostly well documented; they're boring enough little drones that aren't particularly fast, or sexy, but they are more worrying than some black helicopters or reverse engineered UFOs. Fast jets are limited by thermodynamics. You simply cannot carry enough heavy fuel to keep your speed stupidly high and you'll eventually melt your engines as you fight against increasing compressible drag effects. Drones on the other hand are the Toyota Prius of boring stay 'up for days' glider things. They relay on basic old boring glider aerodynamics, fuel efficient engines and modern batteries (you can even build your own, they're that lowtech), and they can follow you and maybe even kill you at any time.

They're even thinking of using them as transmitters for civil communications.
    You could use swarms of them to monitor traffic (even as speed cameras) or to monitor the coastlines for fisheries violations for people in trouble.
    There's going to be a lot more of them so get used to lights in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Shane L wrote: »
    So AHers...have you ever seen anything strange site in the night sky you couldn't explain or do you think I'm gone mad :P I

Many years ago I was sitting on a wall with my cousin outside his house. There is a row of houses on the other side of the village about 100 yards from where he lived. Anyway it was late in the evening and we were sitting there chatting away when suddenly a hole opened up in the clouds over one of those houses. An object came down and shone a light onto a house. It lasted about 10 seconds, then it flew off and the hole in the clouds just closed up. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. And my cousin saw it too so I knew I wasn't just going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ninjamonkey

Shane L wrote: »
    I was walking my dog tonight around half 9 ten...ish when for only a few seconds I saw 3 circular light in a form of a large triangle kind of hard to make out an outline in the cloud moving at a phenomenal speed :L i saw it for just a second or two and ran down the road when it had gone out of site but saw nothing else.It was a pretty strange and no I'm not the type to believe in ghosts and am always sceptical of these kinds of stories...

So AHers...have you ever seen anything strange site in the night sky you couldn't explain or do you think I'm gone mad :P I

hell what were you smokin dude .... must have been some strong stuff

Advertisement