Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bonfire night

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bonfire was always great fun when I was growing up, the whole village would get together and we'd get to go off and kiss girls our cousins in the bushes.
    FYP

In fairness you asked for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

My grandmother used to refer to bonfire night (June 23) as "the night for burning the protestant bones"

I could never find a historical reference for this so I assume she was just a bitter ould sod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

My grandmother used to refer to bonfire night (June 23) as "the night for burning the protestant bones"

I could never find a historical reference for this so I assume she was just a bitter ould sod
    Bonfire night goes back to before protestants, before Catholics, before any form of Christianity. It's a pagan festival, nothing to do with protestants or Catholics. It must be only herself who had this bizarre phrase.

We used to always build our fire around an animal bone though. Why? Because that's what the older boys did, and the older boys before them, and before them, all the way back to prehistory when it had some sort of meaning. The local butcher would give us a cows leg (it seemed like it) and the fire would be built around it.

In the English language bonfire was originally bone-fire I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Mickeroo wrote: »
    In fairness I was always surprised we don't celebrate Guy Fawkes night here considering quite a few Irish people would have been happy to see the Houses of Parliament go boom back in the day :pac:
    If we were going to celebrate Guy Fawkes we should do it on April 13th, his birthday. Since Nov 5th was the day they caught him, and the day celebrates the fact he didn't blow up the Houses of Parliament. :pac:

Fires all over the place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

there was bonfire building going on in the green in front of the house in sligo, being from Tipperary, i was utterly confused about this tradition, and actually just put it down to being in the 'Whest' until i saw what was going into the fire... in tipperary we call em the corporation skip days :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Never heard about this before, it certainly doesn't happen in kerry or cork.

I dont know about down the sticks but in Cork city its a massive night. Usually turn ugly though, last night being no different. Was woken up at 2 o clock in the morning to stones and fireworks being thrown at the fire brigade and squad cars. And I live in a quiet area, god only knows what carrying on went on up the northside

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FYP

In fairness you asked for it

Touché!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

If we were going to celebrate Guy Fawkes we should do it on April 13th, his birthday. Since Nov 5th was the day they caught him, and the day celebrates the fact he didn't blow up the Houses of Parliament. :pac:

Fires all over the place here.

Exactly. November 5th has its roots in anti-catholic sentiment. Hardly a fitting celebration in Ireland. Oh, wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm from Galway city and it doesnt exist there. Bonfire night is halloween. Halloween itself originated in ireland and is hundreds of years older than guy fawks so whoever said November 5th is bonfire night can go and walk on hot coals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Heard that there was trouble in Cork for bonfire's night. I see its become a community event in Mayo with community fires. That's a bit sad !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

A fire named after saint John?

Count me in! ;)

Back in the day it was madness !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

6541 wrote: »
    Heard that there was trouble in Cork for bonfire's night. I see its become a community event in Mayo with community fires. That's a bit sad !!

Why is it sad ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I seen several bonfires last night, with one of them being built and lit on the pavement.

Its feck all to do with religion, but just to cause a disturbance, anti social behavior, and to burn their rubbish.

Why is it sad ?

Bonfires are about underage drinking, teen sex, raves, not supervised by adults !! Bonfires are a right of passage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement