Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where can you find liquid IM sodium hydroxide

• 18-10-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all i need liquid IM sodium hydroxide and Cinnnamon Extract for some experimentation
    Went all over Dublin today
    Hollands and Barrets don t have it
    pharmacist don t have it
    Anyone any suggestion?
    I heard there's a shop in Rathmines area that has it ?
    Anyone any suggestions for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

It's 1M - one molar - not IM. Molarity is basically a measure of the concentration of a chemical in solution. Sodium hydroxide is more commonly known as caustic soda here, so you just need to mix the right amount of that in water to get your 1M solution. You need 40g of sodium hydroxide per 1L of water to get a 1M solution. Make 100% sure you're wearing safety glasses and latex gloves when you're handling it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

FuzzyCraic wrote: »
    Hi all i need liquid IM sodium hydroxide and Cinnnamon Extract for some experimentation

Okay, if you ask a shop assistant for sodium hydroxide, in general they will not know what you're talking about. It's more commonly called caustic soda. If you look at the label of cleaning products, etc, you will see the chemical components. NaOH, is a common component. Usually the most concentrated NaOH, and the kind you're looking for is used in drain cleaner. Some drain cleaning products are just pure NaOH. Shops that sell things like paint, and general DIY sell heavy duty drain cleaner.

If you're into chemical experimentation, the DIY shops also sell many products that contain chemicals you may be looking for. Read the labels on tins of things. There's a pharmacist on the corner of Georges and Exchequer street, that sells chemicals in small bottles, things like acetone; they might sell essential oils, if it's cinnamon oil you're looking for. There's a key cutting DIY place on Georges street that also sell things with acetone in them.

A MAJOR WORD OF WARNING. Chemistry can be a dangerous and unforgiving business. NaOH is not something you want blowing up in your face. But it can give you nasty chemical burns just by getting a little on your hands, etc. And you won't know you're burned, until you are burned. You can get special heavy duty rubber gloves for dealing with chemicals in DIY shops too. Caustic soda often comes in a solid form. This makes it easier to measure out, and then make a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

OP is trying to make methamphetamines.

OP is trying to make methamphetamines.

Do you have recipe/procedure for the production of methamphetamine, that employs cinnamon or its' extracts? Honestly, I'd love to see it.

Does anyone have a copy of that recipe that was in the Trinity Student paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Fine, he's making meth and cookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I can't see how you are going to get from cinnamaldehyde to methamphetamine in any reasonable number of steps that are accessible to the bathroom chemist... that said I am curious as to your reasons for needing these things?

SOL wrote: »
    I can't see how you are going to get from cinnamaldehyde to methamphetamine in any reasonable number of steps that are accessible to the bathroom chemist... that said I am curious as to your reasons for needing these things?

If yeast has the same response to cinnamon oil, as it does to almond oil, you could be cookin'.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1936

Why does everyone assume that an amateur asking questions about chemicals is trying to make drugs. Especially when someone lacks even the rudimentary knowledge of something like caustic soda.

It gets silly once it's at a point where you can't even as where to find the ingredients to make sarsaparilla without people raising concerns you're trying to make some kind of drug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

It wouldn't be the right product at all... no drugs here... move along now...

It wouldn't be the right product at all... no drugs here... move along now...

I don't think he's trying to make drugs....but could he be trying to make almond essence?

Does Cinnamaldehyde + NaOH yield, 2-hydroxybenzaldehyde?

I wish I could remember my chemistry. It looks like fun. How do you remove the hydroxyl to get benzaldehyde?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Or he could just be making pretzels...........

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Or he could just be making pretzels...........

Pretzels is something I've made. A sprinkle of cinnamon; yes. Caustic soda; that would be a new one on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pretzels is something I've made. A sprinkle of cinnamon; yes. Caustic soda; that would be a new one on me.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1139659/authentic-german-pretzels

Perhaps branch out with your recipes so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FuzzyCraic

I m not making drugs i would like to make colloidal silver and i need them ingredients

I m not making drugs i would like to make colloidal silver and i need them ingredients

Colloidal silver is produced with a kind of electrolysis. I believe Faraday discovered the process.

It used to be used as an antibacterial, though there is no evidence it ever worked. If you're thinking of taking this, you shouldn't, unless you want to look like a smurf for the rest of your life. It can turn you blue.

071219_paul_karason.jpg

http://www.katu.com/news/local/12648491.html

I can't see how you are going to get from cinnamaldehyde to methamphetamine in any reasonable number of steps that are accessible to the bathroom chemist...

There's a video on youtube. Preparation of benzaldehyde from cinnamaldehyde and sodium hydroxide. A steam distillation. It looks doable in a bathroom - though looks like something that requires a lot of practice. I wonder would it bother the neighbours, or would they just think you're doing a lot of baking with cinnamon and almonds. Though if your a working chemical engineer, you might have an opportunity to "divert" benzaldehyde from another source.

But then you might not use the benzaldehyde route at all, which involves brewing with yeast. Which is a lot more tricky than mixing and heating stuff.

As a result of Breaking Bad, there's been a whole slew of chemical engineers detailing on their blogs about how they would go about breaking bad. I don't know the situation in Ireland, but in the US any suspect purchase will come to the attention of the DEA - they have a budget of billions. Even buying glassware on ebay could be enough to draw a kick through the door and a swat team of federalis pointing weapons at your head.

The recipes make entertaining reading even if you have no intention of making anything. Using Styrofoam cups (no one will raise an eyebrow at that purchase), making methylamine by dissolving fire lighters in hydrochloric acid (very doable in a bathroom set up).

Going the styrene route, the only chemical I can see that doesn't appear to have an easy bathroom production process from materials you can get off the shelf at a supermarket without looking suspicious, is acetyl anhydride. I know they must get through gallons of the stuff at colleges (in labs making aspirin and paracetemol) but where and how can you acquire it without employing deception or theft?

Unless the process of passing ethanol vapour through a copper pipe heated to a high temp by a Bunsen, then condensing, can produce acetaldehyde. And if the acetaldehyde to acetyl anhydride process isn't difficult. But a naked flame and flammable solvents is not a great combination in a bathroom. but if it works, the only thing I can see as might be tricky to get is mercury salts.

Now, if you could find an off the shelf wood preserver with acetic anhydride, a complete in bathroom production may be possible.

SOL......how would you go about it?...........Probably by swiping chemicals from your place of work. But the trick is to get all the ingredients without resorting to either criminality, deception, or by purchasing any watched chemical.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FuzzyCraic

He made it from Tapwater and was using it daily for years
    Drinking liters of it and spraying it all over his skin...
    I m planning to use it for a week or so and i m using purified water
    I friend of mine gave it to his dog who was terminally ill declared by his vet...
    The dog drank the CS for a week and now is running alive more active then ever...
    Yes i know i m not blarking
    I m no dog
    Also during this week as i will avoid sunlight
    All of the people with the Agyria came from places with warm summers

I m not planning to use it longtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Colloidal silver will DO YOU ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD WHATSOEVER.
    And MAY CAUSE YOU SERIOUS AND IRREVERSIBLE HARM.

Why would you even bother?

Colloidal silver will DO YOU ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD WHATSOEVER.
    And MAY CAUSE YOU SERIOUS AND IRREVERSIBLE HARM.

Aside from making you look like a Smurf....forever.....I don't think it causes anymore harm. Though I don't think it takes much to turn you blue.
    Why would you even bother?

Krank crap on the internet. It's being sold on alternative health web sites. There's some really terrible information on the internet. Criminals have taken over from the slightly dippy hippies, and are now preying on the vulnerable. But considering some of the crap you'll see on the shelves of the average chemist....

I wonder if it might have a use as an external disinfectant. I have heard fabric infused with copper or silver acts to create the sock that does not smell.

One thing I do know....it's preparation does not require cinnamon oil or caustic soda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

He made it from Tapwater and ...
    ...and i m using purified water

It was the fúcking silver that turned him blue, not some unidentified impurity in the water!

It was the fúcking silver that turned him blue, not some unidentified impurity in the water!

Christ........Imagine what his meth'll be like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This is a bad idea

-Chem Grad Student.

papu wrote: »
    This is a bad idea

-Chem Grad Student.

Which bad idea?

You aren't hard up for cash or anything *cough*....Feel unappreciated by the world *cough*,,,,,,send me a PM

Advertisement