Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number plate

• 24-05-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

just thought id ask how many of u have the 100% standered nct number plate on your car
    im seeing a big pic up in fancy plate so thought id put up this
    and any of u ever got hassel over the number plate

Thread title changed to avoid more confusion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I don't understand your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

well the jist of the post is that im wondering how many people have the standered nct plate on there car and how many do not .
    then im wondering if guards gave them much bother just to try and find out what plate the guards have the biggest problem with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

We're talking number plates here right? 01D123?

We're talking number plates here right? 01D123?
    yes we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Whats an nct plate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Im guessing you mean who has ''fancy'' plates and who has standard ones??

sean1141 wrote: »
    Im guessing you mean who has ''fancy'' plates and who has standard ones??

exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

fanadman1 wrote: »
    exactly
    Having non-standard plates is a bit like having a sign on your car saying 'Please, Garda, pull me, i'm a dope'. If you're not doing anything else wrong you'll probably get away with a bit of verbal from the guards and having to change them at NCT time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fancy plates will fail the test so you will have to swap them for the test each time. In relation to the gardai, Im sure it depends on the garda and how far out of standard the plates are as to whether you will get hassle.
    I have legal plates on my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

From what I read in the NCT manual, there is some latitude regarding plates. The dimensions are clearly set out, but the precise typescript to be used isn't specified (the one shown is presumably for illustrative purposes) So one could use bold letters, for example, or in theory any legible typescript, provided it's black on a white reflective background?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Been thinking of switching to pressed metal plates, I prefer them to the cruddy, smeggy plastic items usually found in Ireland, but want to keep the usual font found on them, i.e. I don't want to go for the "German" font (or, god help me, the fake German stickers on the plate).
    Anyone got them, anyone have any experience with them?
    At the moment I have standard plastic plates (and they are cruddy and smeggy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

fanadman1 wrote: »
    just thought id ask how many of u have the 100% standered nct number plate on your car
    im seeing a big pic up in fancy plate so thought id put up this
    and any of u ever got hassel over the number plate

No dude go for it. They are seriously cool:cool:

As well as that it will give the cops a good reason to pull you over and hassle you.

During this time they won't be hassling some poor sod for going 7kmph over the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Been thinking of switching to pressed metal plates, I prefer them to the cruddy, smeggy plastic items usually found in Ireland, but want to keep the usual font found on them, i.e. I don't want to go for the "German" font (or, god help me, the fake German stickers on the plate).

you can get standard font pressed metal plates from eireplates. way nicer that the plastic crap. will be getting a set for my own car soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Windsor Motors (used to, at least) provide bog-standard font pressed metal plates on their cars. Mother's car from their very short lived Fiat dealer has them. Worth phoning one of their parts departments.

Otherwise, Eireplates does pressed metal (and I notice they now have modified FE-Schrift that has an un-cut 0, which is entirely within the NCT spec I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Depends on the car you drive..... If you have a traveller Spec VAG or Boyracer Civic etc... You will get done.

I know of a E-Class Merc local with 100% illegal plates, Basic white plate with Black Bold font shadowed by chrome..... No EU logos or anything just the numbers. Been true numerous checkpoints and not a word said. They do get changed for the NCT though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I had fancy plates on my old car, I didn't notice it though until the day my father took it for an NCT and left them in back seat for me, the normals were underneath the fancy ones so all he had to was take um off then put um back on. Current car has legal plates though, I think it's desperate looking on some of the bangers you see on the road.

Advertisement