Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

petrol car with towbar

• 24-05-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭

Looking to buy a 1.6 ford focus and it has a tow bar...should I be worried about this ? any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What was it used for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

the current owner said her father used it for towing a small trailer now and again for gardening she isnt sure how much it was used by the previous owner..

If everything else stacks up and the suspension and clutch are in good order then I wouldn't worry.

this is the car
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3174192

looks fairly clean and she said it was only light trailer work it was doing..

might give her a test drive tomorrow

She looks well. There's no mention of a service history, though, what's the story there?

• Advertisement

shes due a service now allright...dont mind that though can do it myself

trepasers wrote: »
    shes due a service now allright...dont mind that though can do it myself
    Grand, but what about the last six years?

just checking now...forgot to ask....cheers !!! half asleep this weather:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

Hi
    It depends on what it was used for, if it is just general house hold use like is would use it for then there is not problem, if it was for building use etc, well then you might need to review what you are buying and move onto another seller who has what you are looking for, thats just my opinion,
    Looking to buy a 1.6 ford focus and it has a tow bar...should I be worried about this ? any help appreciated

just checking now...forgot to ask....cheers !!! half asleep this weather:o
    You need to go through the SH in detail - find out what needed to be done and when, and make sure that it was done by ringing the garages who did the work to check. So many people skip these steps and then end up with avoidable bills/breakdowns/clocked cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd actually see the tow bar as a sort of plus point on a car like this, there's a good chance this car is owned by some retired chap who has too much time on his hands and does his kids gardens and keeps his house immaculate, these sort of people tend to mind their cars.
    Tht said, a 1.6 3 door focus isn't the car of choice for this type of chap, so I'm guessing he's not the original owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd actually see the tow bar as a sort of plus point on a car like this, there's a good chance this car is owned by some retired chap who has too much time on his hands and does his kids gardens and keeps his house immaculate, these sort of people tend to mind their cars.
    Tht said, a 1.6 3 door focus isn't the car of choice for this type of chap, so I'm guessing he's not the original owner.

My own father has a tow bar on his car that has never, ever been used. For protection apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Country parking sensors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Country parking sensors.

Exactly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Country parking sensors.

Exactly. If you walk into the car park in Supervalue in Belmullett you will see the entire wall pock marked from people reversing towbars into the wall. Its hilarious actually :D

was chatting to the mechanic of the car as the log book isnt stamped...he had a mechanic business which closed down ...The owner of the car was friendly with him so they got him to do the servicing hence the reason for no receipts as it was cash...what do you guys think ??

worth a look ?

also she has had the car for 3 years...will be giving her a good service if I do go for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

do the online car check(carcheck.ie or other ... there is bunch of them) , see what history is from that side.

Why need car particularly with tow bar ? Actually you may put tow bar on any car, find one which is in good nic, and put towbar yourself/garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tomthumbe

I would never buy a car with a towbar, mainly because it could have been someone like me that owned it. I destroyed my last car pulling trailers or as my mechanic says "I pulled the heart and soul out of it"

yes will definitely do a check ...cartell would probably be the best ??

Is there much downsides when selling on again with having to history book but the numbers to get in contact with all the mechanics and dealers ?

• Advertisement

was chatting to the mechanic of the car as the log book isnt stamped...he had a mechanic business which closed down ...The owner of the car was friendly with him so they got him to do the servicing hence the reason for no receipts as it was cash...what do you guys think ??

worth a look ?
    Doesn't sound great, TBH. A cash job wouldn't stop him from issuing reciepts for the owners records, or even stamping the service book. You could have a mechanic check it out, but the price would still need to reflect the lack of service history. Personally i'd find a car with a record of having been cared for.

he he ... just looked on that ad, .... "female owner emigrating" ... would put me off that car....

Mar4ix wrote: »
    he he ... just looked on that ad, .... "female owner emigrating" ... would put me off that car....

ya ??

ya ??

I dont know if others have same feelings, but i think, in lots ads she / he want get rid of car as soon as possible, and emigrating is not an actual reason, just make potential buyers grab a "bargain", which at the end turns in to lemon.

Maybe in your case it is genuine .

If you really want buy that car, check it in garage, which you know, and wont tell you lies .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Don't be worrying so much about towbars and service history. Go look at the car, meet the owner, bring a mechanic with you if you are not confident of checking the car yourself. Make sure to do an online history and finance check.

It's an Irish car, not an import (judging from the reg). Irish cars rarely have service histories, so if you restrict yourself to ones with service histories you will be a while looking.

Check the condition of the interior of the car. If the towbar was used by a guy building his own house for example, the interior and boot will show wear from tools etc getting thrown in. Also check if there is a lighting socket on the towbar ... if there is none then it did no serious towing.

Make sure to check the bodywork for accident damage / crash repairs.

Meet the owner. If the owner is the same person whose name is on the tax book, then after a chat you will have a good idea if she is a genuine seller or trying to pull a quick one.

The car you picked out is cheap. It's a Focus, so it's as trouble free as you get, it has the best engine option in the 1.6, it's a 3dr in probably the best colour, and it's well spec'ed (Zetec). I'm tempted to go for it myself !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tomthumbe wrote: »
    I would never buy a car with a towbar, mainly because it could have been someone like me that owned it. I destroyed my last car pulling trailers or as my mechanic says "I pulled the heart and soul out of it"

I have a 2001 Octavia I bought second hand that came with a tow bar. Not a mark on it, still on the original clutch and no issues with the gear box.

Advertisement